Anyone tried these microphone capsules?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
telefunk said:
But you did receive the K47 style caps? I might not need the mounts anyway...

Yes, let me know if you want w/o mounts and I can send out.

abechap024 said:
Did one have to pre-order? Or are they up for grabs? If so how much  8)

Yes, but I do have some extra 47 style from a previous order, please pm me.

micaddict said:
Blue Jinn, I sent you a PM at about 6 am.  :)

PM sent.

**To recap, I received the 47 style, and the 67 style requested. I did not receive the C12 style, and I did not receive any mounts. I can ship as is, or wait to see what is going on with the mounts. Please PM me.

Does anyone know what size the machine screws are for mounting the C12 style capsules. I need to get some to mount the ones I have, but haven't been able to determine what I need to buy.

Kindest regards,
zephyrmic

Update from seller, mounts should be shipping in a week or two and the missing C12 style. After that I'll get confirmation on re-order and can do another groupbuy if interest. (I know a few people asked.) (Fingers crossed) Yay!

I haven't heard anything yet on the mounts. I hate to keep people waiting, if anyone wants the capsules now, please let me know, and I'll keep trying to get the mounts.

zephyrmic said:
Does anyone know what size the machine screws are for mounting the C12 style capsules. I need to get some to mount the ones I have, but haven't been able to determine what I need to buy.

Kindest regards,
zephyrmic

Haven't heard from anyone about this question yet. Would still like to know the size, rather than having to do it by trial and error. Usually that method is more error than trial!

zephyrmic

I haven't heard anything yet on the mounts. I hate to keep people waiting, if anyone wants the capsules now, please let me know, and I'll keep trying to get the mounts.

Did the RK47's ever come in?  I can't remember, but I think at one stage you mentioned that they hadn't shipped the correct capsules.  Anyway, I think I was on the list for 2 RK47's.  I'm still interested but in no rush so I don't mind waiting for the mounts to arrive.

Tim

zephyrmic said:
zephyrmic said:

Kindest regards,
zephyrmic

Haven't heard from anyone about this question yet. Would still like to know the size, rather than having to do it by trial and error. Usually that method is more error than trial!

zephyrmic

Sorry for the delay, I've been bussy with alot of stuff lateley and had to put my microhpone project on hold for a while. The screws I use is total 6 mm long, head is about 1mm and if i measure the diameter it is around 1.4 mm. I don't know the exact name for this screw. But this is the one I use. Hope this help you to find the right one.

Oceao99

Thanks for the info. I will see what I can get. Hard to find these sort of things here in Australia. Don't know why.

Kindest regards,

zephyrmic

saxtim said:

Did the RK47's ever come in?  I can't remember, but I think at one stage you mentioned that they hadn't shipped the correct capsules.  Anyway, I think I was on the list for 2 RK47's.  I'm still interested but in no rush so I don't mind waiting for the mounts to arrive.

Tim
\

All but the "C12" style came in. So "K47", and somebody asked for some "K67 style" also.

hello all,

I was able to make a small order in the spring of the k-47 capsules, and the c12 capsules.
They made an exception and allowed me to make a small order rather than the minimum order quantity of 100, because I purchased some other equipment as well, .

I made myself a few mics using the capsules. And now i have 4 - c12 capsules that I wont be using.

I'm looking to sell them for $65 ea. shipped.
North America = $65 including shipping
Anywhere else = $75 including shipping

PM me if you are interested.

Just an FYI, I got another email stating the mounts should be coming....

MOQ has gone up to 100 units, but with mounts. I'll put out a feeler again in a few months for another group buy, after I have examples to post of the mounts.

Hi all,

I own and operate Microphone-Parts.com. To the early posters on this thread who traded emails with Kevin, I can tell you that he was the founder but is no longer with the company. Neither he nor I is based in China, but rather in California. I wish he had seen this thread back when it began; I was only made aware of it recently.

To those veterans here who feel that commercial posts are inappropriate outside the white market, please consider two points: we DO sponsor a WM thread, but also, given that the OP was actually asking about my products, I hope this response can be retained here.

It makes be a bit queasy that a legitimate inquiry about my products has devolved into a group buy, which is essentially an effort to buy directly from my suppliers. The Microphone-Parts.com business was started in order to provide high-quality capsules that were not previously available to modders and the DIY crowd. So sad to see this effort "rewarded" by folks trying to save a few bucks. Not that I don't appreciate a discount, but still.

As to the question of the source of our capsules: we use a variety of suppliers, some in the US, some in China, some in Europe. For what it's worth, none of them are WGT.

I'll share some insight into the reality of importing Chinese products, because it is so tantalizing to think that the factory price for something is $28 or whatever. Those of you engaging in group buys should know about the discard rate. Most Chinese capsules are not tested at the factory, and they won't all work. We've seen Chinese capsules with debris under the membrane, with fingerprints on the membrane, with gold adhesion problems, with loose screws. If a "group buy" effort ends up being serviced by one factory I have in mind, 30% of the buyers will be deeply disappointed at the capsules they end up with.

Needless to say, we don't sell those capsules.

You should know about the grading system too. The better factories inspect and grade their products. The best are saved for longtime customers who buy in larger quantities. The rest? Not to put too fine a point on it, but they get sent to first-time buyers who order small quantities.

This ends up working to our advantage, as it lets us bring a higher-quality product to market. We've identified a few trusted suppliers, and we've worked with them to improve the product. For example, some early feedback from the Micbuilders group suggested that the leads could usefully be made longer, so we did that. Also we upgraded to Teflon-insulated oxygen-free copper wire. And we changed the backplate machining on the RK-12. There are more improvements in the works, some of which are significant.

The result is that we have the best capsules for the price on the market, with hundreds of unsolicited customer testimonials (including a couple at the very top of this thread). We offer free US shipping. We provide the mounts, screws and wires. We provide installation support and troubleshooting. We even offer a half-off replacement guarantee if you accidentally put a screwdriver through the membrane during installation.

So, it's a good product, and we stand behind it. If you'd like to see for yourself, I'll throw in a 10% discount for any of you who place an order before Monday, Sept 17 2012. (We don't have a way to do coupon codes, but we'll refund 10% of the purchase price (not including shipping) after the order is shipped, via Paypal. Just make a note on your order or contact us via email afterwards.)

Thanks for reading, and as always, best wishes for your mods.

Indeed, it is sad to see that a simple inquiry about the product turned into a group buy affair with people naively thinking they can get the same product from the same source, hoping to save a few bucks... Besides the ethical issues of steering the thread way out of topic and potentially harming the business and turning away potential clients with such an approach, it is absolutely clear people have no any idea what is the source of these particular capsules and who is the supplier. I've been in this business for well over decade and seen many capsules from numerous companies--Chinese and otherwise. Somehow I came to the conclusion--you get precisely what you pay for...

This is a good time to remind people what happened with Chance Pataki's group buy and where it ended up. Because he was a nice guy he did not gain any monetary profits, but he ended up the bad guy, with hundreds of unhappy clients... Really, I would not want to be in his shoes, nor in the shoes of his clients... That was just a bad situation... something you get dealing with Chinese companies when trying to save some bucks...

In any case, the other day I got from microphone-parts.com their 34mm RK87 capsule. The quite unusual part about it, unlike most of the capsules on the market it has the isolated backplates, meaning, you don't need a DC/DC converter to make a fig 8 pattern (exactly like original U87 circuit). To audition the capsule I used two identical microphones and then installed the RK87 capsule into one of them, leaving another one with the stock, what looks like Shanghai 32mm capsule. The difference is apparent from simply talking into the mics. The RK87 has higher output, by far better bass, much less ragged top, and overall flatter response. To put it into simple terms, the original capsule sounds like a cheap Chinese mass production one, and the RK87 like a high quality well made capsule.

Many years ago I was comparing the same 32mm capsule to a very high quality 797 34mm capsule, and from what I remember right now the difference is even bigger. Mind you, the 797 even then was $150, so for $109 I'd consider the RK87 as a great bargain.

This is besides the point that Matt is the nicest guy, who stands behind his product, and has the best customer support around.

In fact, I like this capsule enough that I am interested to start a project using this particular capsule coupled with some of our own transformers for a high quality modification project.

So stay tuned Gentlemen, I hope you won't be disappointed.

Best, M

Cool! Matt posted a pic of one of my G7s with an RK-12 on his site. It's all the way down the bottom :)
http://microphone-parts.com/rk12-capsule-photos/

He also posted some recordings I did with both the aforementioned G7 and a SP C1 with the RK-87 capsule. I'm really happy with how these mics turned out. I originally built a G7 with Tim Campbell's CT-12 capsule although I much preferred the RK12. That said, I also prefer the CT-12 in an AKG C12 clone I built.
http://microphone-parts.com/audio-samples/

My next project is to Royer mod a pair of MXL 2001 mics with either RK47 or RK 87 capsules (depending on what sounds best) to use as overheads/room mics.

Johan,
You have reported two posts from the "microphone capsules" thread.

You qualify the first one (from m-parts) of "untrue statments and only commercial spam". You would have to prove that these statements are untrue. If you have information indicating the contrary, please expose them clearly.
As to its commercial spam nature, it is not; a spam is a very different animal.
This post, IMO, is just a company exercing their right of reply, considering they may suffer some damage from the presentation you made.

The second post, from marik, that you describe as "A lot of untrue statments and repulsing post".
Again, what is untrue in these statements? They are mainly the opinion of a person, which is to be compared with your own statements regarding the performance of "your" capsules.
Repulsing is too strong a term to be considered seriously.

I think these two posts are courteous enough and respectful.  Reporting them indicates that you have some kind of grief; this is not good for your own credibility. No one is questioning your motivation for initiating this group buy, nor the fact that you are serving the participants right. However, you made assumptions regarding the respective origins of "your" and m-parts capsules that have not been verified.

Nice to know that evething that gets reported to the moderators can be published for everybody to see.

Shouldn't it it be the moderators job to decide whether the report is appropriate or not. Otherwise, Johan would have probably written a reply.

Other than that I don't see what is the problem of organizing a small group buy from a chinese supplier. If it turns out that the capsules are rotten shit, most probably there won't be more group buys on those after this, you know, if your products are far superior to these you shouldn't have anything to be worried about.

telefunk said:
Nice to know that evething that gets reported to the moderators can be published for everybody to see.
Does it mean you think libel is acceptable if it is done clandestinely?
Shouldn't it it be the moderators job to decide whether the report is appropriate or not.
Just in case you haven't figured out, I'm a mod...
Otherwise, Johan would have probably written a reply.
I reckon you can see I've given him an opportunity to reply...
Other than that I don't see what is the problem of organizing a small group buy from a chinese supplier.
Me neither...
However, there is a problem when the products are presented as the same as those of a trading company, which apparently they aren't.
If it turns out that the capsules are rotten sh*t, most probably there won't be more group buys on those after this, you know, if your products are far superior to these you shouldn't have anything to be worried about.
I think you're misunderstanding. I'm in no way affiliated with m-parts.
And the debate is not on the actual quality of the capsules, it's on the provenance. Johan presents "his" capsules as the same as m-parts's, which m-parts says is not true.
I don't know who's right or wrong in this respect, but neither m-parts nor marik have been aggressive in their posts, so I think Johan had no funding for raising cain.

Just in case you haven't figured out, I'm a mod...

Of course I have, that's why I wrote that maybe you should just make the decision if there was any reason to report or not and not start to publicly spread Johan reports. That's why I wrtote: "Otherwise, Johan would have probably written a reply"

I reckon you can see I've given him an opportunity to reply...

Yes, after you have already published his reports that were sent to you.

I think you're misunderstanding. I'm in no way affiliated with m-parts.

Why would I think you would be affiliated with them?  I just stated the M-parts shouldn't need to be worried about this groupbuy if their capsule quality is way superior.

Latest posts

Back