FEELER: M49/50 Bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know mata_haze? I know he was interested in this. I PM'ed him and did not hear anything back. I want to make sure I get his request in before I cut off requests.

Not ready with pricing yet, sorry everybody.

Rough estimate right now is going to be between $500-$600 USD each. I am waiting for people to get back to me....

So here is a teaser rendering!

-Damian

Attachments

• MicAssembledView.png
    MicAssembledView.png
    315 KB · Views: 131
Well, Damian, this price is just too much for me. Good luck with your project. I´ll watch this thread for a while in order to see how this turns out at the end.
regards
Bernd

I remember one or two years ago, somebody had posted here showing his home made M49 for if interest, don't know if you remember that one?, all brass with the Microphone U shape shockmount iirc etc.. etc..., descend job, the grill mesh and form seemed to be "as original", can't find the post tough...
His was also pretty expensive when people asked about it, about the same ballpark, but i don't see how it can't be for small quantitys, it's just impossible to bring it down, talk about a thousand and then of course price would drop. EDIT: of course there is the China option + the headache, but that wasn't Riggler's tought i thinK.
Anyway will see, but i might pass as well  :-\

Working on getting it down some. It's tough, it's all in the setup and tooling... I am not even building in anything for me really. Going to take the next couple days to refine and get firm numbers! I really do not want to do a China order.

yeah, this was about where the price was from that guy that posted awhile back and disappeared.  tooling cost can get a little crazy, especially if it isn't getting shipped out to a sweatshop.  i'm really hoping to see this come to fruition, if only selfishly because i really don't want to have to start wood carving a mold for the mesh.  :eek:

Okay,

I cut the mesh price by 2/3rds by calling around. Got the best price from a great place right in Philadelphia!

I cut the head basket trim piece price down to almost nothing by finding packages of precut stock that's only a couple thousandths off of the original size. More than good enough for DIY.

I found the shipping boxes and bubble wrap for next to nothing, saving 300% from what I had budgeted!

There is no built in profit for me. I am happy making having my two bodies in the end and learning about all this stuff. This thread will go white market when things are finalized.

I am at about $448 USD right now. Waiting on plating prices, to add that into the price.

I'm extremely interested, but not sure if I can justify the cost right now. Any info on how close this is to a 49 body and headgrille?

Melodeath00 said:
I'm extremely interested, but not sure if I can justify the cost right now. Any info on how close this is to a 49 body and headgrille?

It's very close. The taper and opening at the bottom is slightly different to accommodate the Binder connector. After correcting for some aberration in the original mic photo, I think mine is pretty close. It was designed from measurements of the real thing. I can see I need to slightly reduce the radius of the fillets on the "band".

Attachments

• compare.png
    compare.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 152
Hey Riggler,

I apologize but I am going to have to drop out for now. I've literally got two handfuls of mic projects to finish up and shouldn't be committing to another until I get those done and get back to some RU projects left to my shelf for this last extended period of time...

However, I would love to build a pair of mic's out of these beautifully heavy duty solid turned brass works of art you are putting together...

Maybe i'll change my mind as you move along (if any would be available) or perhaps pair of the bodies will pop up in the BM down the road...

In any case these look wonderful and I will thoroughly enjoy sitting on the sidelines snacking on popcorn-sounds for this one.

Best Regards and Best Luck!

Cheers,
jonathan

I'm gonna have to chime with the others here: it's not really my choosing but right now the price is out of reach and I can't see this changing in the forseeable.

I really wish you the best with this though, there are not enough M49 body options out there, for sure.

Hi guys,

This might get a lot cheaper. I never knew it, but my uncle has a lathe. I am going to visit today. I am going to try to get this to be affordable. It's expensive for me, too!

I might flatten out the base interior like the original mic, makes it easier for DIY turning. I have messaged Les about headbaskets. I still have not heard from the plater, so I put another call in with them.

The bulk of the cost was machining cost. The thing is I need to LEARN some skill and technique to make it happen. Hopefully his lathe is in good shape and everything works out.

Just a tought quick pencil draw,  :-\,
M49C style
D.

Latest posts

Back