FEELER: M49/50 Bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes,
Something with this head basket,

http://www.trademarken.com/trademark/75498464?i=-Georg_Neumann_GmbH_Berlin

Dan,

came up with  this mini version of M49C and M49B mini driver  it is 44X48mm  ,  3 HZ floating point connection i left the grid connection on the bottom cause I would guess the 5840 tube could be more usefull,  not sure if it will require some creative bending but will see.........................

D-M49C and D-M49B mini driver

DM49B.jpg

58d02819939df.jpg

Best,
Dan,

0dbfs said:
Gus, That is a trademark not a patent. Trademarks are for marking a company's products as "official".

Plus there is no "commercial interest" here so doesn't matter.

Cheers,
jb

People need to read up on IP.  I am aware there are differences between patent, trademark and copyright

I guess this place does not respect IP. 

Are the bodies with the grill going to be sold in a public forum like this one?

Do you see any other microphones being sold with U67 M49, U87 etc grills?

Gus said:
0dbfs said:
Gus, That is a trademark not a patent. Trademarks are for marking a company's products as "official".

Plus there is no "commercial interest" here so doesn't matter.

Cheers,
jb

People need to read up on IP.  I am aware there are differences between patent, trademark and copyright

I guess this place does not respect IP. 

Are the bodies with the grill going to be sold in a public forum like this one?

Do you see any other microphones being sold with U67 M49, U87 etc grills?

I'm just saying that you quoted a trademark which is a logo or similar not a grill design. Neumann doesn't (didn't) even use that trademark on their M49 did they?

Is there a patent on this particular headbasket?

My comment regarding commercial interest was intended to underscore the difference in a limited DIY run focused on providing members of a DIY community with a custom "one-off" of something and an ongoing commercial product for sale to the public. There is a huge difference in terms of intent as well as any lost revenue or for that matter any potentially recoupable revenue.

Cheers,
jonathan

I suggest you search for "fender headstock trademark"

You can believe what you want.  What does intent have to do with this?

This could be a reason why David Bock's mic doesn't use the original head basket shape. I will be right up front and say that I know little about trademarks versus patents. Gus, when I read your link, it seems to me that they are protecting that drawn three dimensional image of the head basket for use as a logo, etc.

From lawmart.com:

A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device which is used in trade with goods to indicate the source of the goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others. A servicemark is the same as a trademark except that it identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a product. The terms "trademark" and "mark" are commonly used to refer to both trademarks and servicemarks.

Trademark rights may be used to prevent others from using a confusingly similar mark, but not to prevent others from making the same goods or from selling the same goods or services under a clearly different mark. Trademarks which are used in interstate or foreign commerce may be registered with the Patent and Trademark Office. The registration procedure for trademarks and general information concerning trademarks is described in a separate pamphlet entitled "Basic Facts about Trademarks".

Flea is making replicas of the head baskets, they look dead on Neumann. Maybe Flea needed to get a license of some sort? Out of respect, if this moves forward I will contact Neumann about this. I hope Santa brings a lathe. I got two more machining quotes and they are equally high.

I have watched a lot of videos now on how to set up the lathe, learned about indexing, how to cut tapers, rough cut, finish cut, what tools to use and what angles to grind into the tools, choosing the proper rpm speed. etc. After some practice maybe I can make these myself. I read about using emory cloth to polish the chucked parts.

Since this is DIY, I could also just send the unassembled head baskets parts and the mesh. You form it yourself then. Hmm?

Reading up on the Fender case, they lost their appeal in court because they could not prove that people were trying to pass off the clone guitars as Fender guitars. But Gus is right, it is possible to invite legal trouble with something like this.

Wow Dan!!!

Body pricing is going to be good ladies and gentlemen! I finally got a call back from another very local shop. Hopefully numbers really soon. I know this is taking a while... But it's how it goes...

It is. The shop I am now working with has been busy. We were going to talk and have a price Monday night, but he got tied up finishing other projects. He said he did not want to get serious into this project until he has some other projects completed and off of his plate. He has been working on the cutting die for the mesh however.

I have orchestra work this weekend, so we are shooting for next Monday night.  Things are looking good. Slower than I would like, but good. I believe the price will be cheaper than I thought!

Back