FEELER: M49/50 Bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, this is the Final Revision of the 49b,c PCB i have included an adaptor for the AMI T49 and i will be receiving them soon to test ,

All, other version square and round have been Sold out and they willl be repaced by a final improved version ,

Note that this current PsU will work with both version.

58d0281993b3b.jpeg

Best,
dan

I am 10 x more anxious than y'all combined. I am pretty sure the guy from the shop and his wife had their baby! And on top of that my friend is having triplets in about a week. I will see if I can get ahold of the shop guys.

Some news:

Tonight I will be sending some files, and hopefully this time the ball gets rolling!! Thank you for hanging in there everyone, I knew it would be a while! I have my fingers crossed and I think I have made the right contacts to make this happen.

The other machine shop closed their doors it appears. Sad.

Currently looking for work,  ;)
Best,
Dan,

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51862.0

58d0281993c04.jpg

Best,
DAn ,

riggler said:
Not ready with pricing yet, sorry everybody.

Rough estimate right now is going to be between $500-$600 USD each. I am waiting for people to get back to me....

How many machined parts each mic has? Did you post all of them? The ones in the first message look pretty basic and for the quantities (something like 50 or even 100 pcs) all turned parts do not really need and are not worth of CNC'ing (which just drastically increases the cost) and look more like second operation turret lathe job with some basic indexer drilling/tapping.

The flat plates can be stamped for cheap, and only chamfered holes can be left for CNC. I'd actually skip that as well, and instead of countersunk screw heads, use round/button/or pan head screws. That'd also take a few $$$ off the final price.

The only costly part is mesh die you posted (and probably corresponding part). Because of low quantities of meshes that could be made out of brass or Al, rather than forged steel needed for high volume mass production. I'd expect the cost for both in some $1,000--$2,000 range, which translates into some $20--$40 for a set of two meshes for 50 mics. Leaving final head basket assembly to folks would additionally cut some costs.

The plating from top of my head should be between $2--$5 per single part depending on its size, so does not add much, either.

If you'd like please send me the prints and I can bid the job. I have enough in-house machinery here, including CNC mill, a few turret 2nd operation Hardinge super precision lathes, all the indexers and tooling necessary to make all those parts...

100% made in USA and might be quite a bit cheaper than prices you quoted. After all, we make similar types of parts for our own prototypes and mics all day long and know how they are made and know efficient way of their machining.

Needless to say, laser engraving (if necessary) available, as well...

Best, M

Poctop,

Doesn't the 49 mic use an expensive rare tube or have I mixed this up with another mic?

Great work by the way!

canidoit said:
Poctop,

Doesn't the 49 mic use an expensive rare tube or have I mixed this up with another mic?

Great work by the way!

yes it can use the AC701K if you can afford it but the 5840w is just a awsome cheap subs and sounds great.
Best,
Dan,

If you'd like please send me the prints and I can bid the job. I have enough in-house machinery here, including CNC mill, a few turret 2nd operation Hardinge super precision lathes, all the indexers and tooling necessary to make all those parts...

100% made in USA and might be quite a bit cheaper than prices you quoted. After all, we make similar types of parts for our own prototypes and mics all day long and know how they are made and know efficient way of their machining.

++++
This would be incredible!
I would be very excited for a pair of M49, machined in the USA by Marik

I am making a couple revisions and am sending to Marik and Eric (Tskguy). Life life life is so buuuuuuuussssssyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Who would care if we did the Amphenol connector Neumann uses now instead of the more expensive Binder connector?

Looking to get back in on this one if possible :)

I'd vote binder. I used the amp connectors for a set of mic's and they were nice but a little tight to work inside and the chassis mount psu-side connector started slipping for me because I and drilled the hole slightly large and it just started spinning after a couple uses... Replaced w/binders and is much more robust.

I'll happily go with the flow here though. Just my $0.02.

Ciao,
j

Back