Riggler's and Tskguy's M49 / M50 bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to Eric today,

The machinist sent the test body to another plater (This happened last week). The original plater was taking too long. SHOULD be on its way to Eric very soon. Eric said he saw the body over Skype and it looked really good.

We will update the thread when he gets it!

Timing timing timing…

So Eric just called me and said "Check your email!".

So I checked it. The second plater's finish was a little too shiny, too bright. He is toning it down and plating again. I got confirmation the machinist has been working on the head baskets all the while, which is a really good thing for this loooooooooooong wait.

So here are some pictures. We are both very happy with the construction. He said that each mic is getting this level of attention.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    538.2 KB · Views: 167
Comparison of latest finish versus our original prototype. Still a little too shiny. They will be more matte. But note the construction!

Attachments

• IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    556.2 KB · Views: 156
Nice and perpendicular. I also wanted to note that we no longer have the tooling marks (those didn't bother me originally anyway, but….).

Attachments

• IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 157
More like this, doesn't look like chrome, a matte finish of sorts.
The finish can wear off, as if painted.
I don't know what Neumann used?

Attachments

• IMG_3006.JPG
    IMG_3006.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 114
I like the machining!  Much better finish than the first attempt.
I always thought Neumann used a matte nickel plating.  I would suggest talking to the electroplater directly (if you haven't already!) instead of passing comments through the machinist.  Maybe ask to see samples of plating on brass.  The plater should be able to get the desired finish by selecting the best plating bath composition and plating control.

Thanks for the input guys, we know that the plater actually made a mistake he did the wrong type of plating process and tried to fix it by doing electroless over the bright. This didn't work so the  body is back at the plater getting stripped and re plated as we speak. I am confident that it will look good..we have gone this far let's finish it right!!!!

Hey boys,

Quick update, I received the new proto and things are looking good. I am having one more body teated at the plater before giving the green light. Just to be sure! Second proto is going to shipped to Riggler so he can give it the thumbs up. Soon boys!!

Eric

The setscrews are here and they really look good! The mic will look original from the outside. The place that made these sent a test batch to the machinist and he said the fit was nice, a little tight. So they took a couple thousandths off. In this way, we did not have to remachine new threaded holes in the bases.

Watching my mail for the body Eric sent me, I think we are good to go now... I think this incredible wait is going to be worth it!

Attachments

• setscrews_cu.jpg
    setscrews_cu.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 59
Nice!  I appreciate your going the extra mile with attention to detail.  Any chance of getting a few spare setscrews?  I just know I'm going to lose one or two somewhere along the way.  Tiny screws seem to evaporate whenever I handle them.

Jeri

Hi Jeri,

These were expensive to get made, and I paid out of pocket for them. That being said, I did have extras made for people that lose them. I can't give extras to everyone, I won't have enough.

So how about this? If you lose a screw, let me know, and I will send you what you need.

Does that work?

Damian

Damian,

Thanks again for all your efforts!  I feel better knowing spares are obtainable if necessary.

Jeri

So what is the status now?  Have you built one that is good?  If so any idea how long to build the ordered amounts?

Not nudging... just wondering.

Back