U67 Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not quite right, the situation was clear. In retrospect, statements were changed, things were deleted and reality was modified somewhat. I was there live and saw what was said.

I don't want to have anything to do with people like that because I know some of the victims. There is no respect from me for that.

I think I've made my point
I do think this forum has a bit of a pirated IP problem. for-profit projects were never really the goal of this forum, and it has become an issue in the microphone subforum definitely. I am including myself in this. I've always viewed making replica capsules as being just the "referencing" part of learning the art for me. I didn't set up an entire manufacturing pipeline just to make clones of capsules from 60 years ago. My end-goal has always been the quickest transition to selling original work possible. That's not easy in this clone bubble market, though. Even Neumann is having trouble selling non-vintage models. Breaking into this field without an appeal to heritage is very hard. Arguably, trying to innovate, push the boundary and taking pride in their own work contributed to driving Neumann to bankruptcy. This very market is allergic to innovation, so it breeds situations like this by its (current) nature.

How can you say that nicely when someone is committing counterfeiting and theft of IP and trademarks for commercial reasons?

This is not undesirable behavior but illegal and the member Drosselmeier is responsible for it. He is a thief.
Since i like Neumann, and believe lots of injustice has been done to them throughout the years, and since you live in Germany, if I were you, i'd try to get in contact with them and point to the various issues you found regarding counterfeiting of their products. It could still be that they are not aware of extent of the issue, although I doubt it.

We need companies that do real gear development to thrive. Although their lack of actions regarding the issue seems to confirm what they have stated before. They don't care about legacy products, even though some are still in production.

I do think this forum has a bit of a pirated IP problem. for-profit projects were never really the goal of this forum, and it has become an issue in the microphone subforum definitely. I am including myself in this. I've always viewed making replica capsules as being just the "referencing" part of learning the art for me. I didn't set up an entire manufacturing pipeline just to make clones of capsules from 60 years ago. My end-goal has always been the quickest transition to selling original work possible. That's not easy in this clone bubble market, though. Even Neumann is having trouble selling non-vintage models. Breaking into this field without an appeal to heritage is very hard.
I respect your work and would never name you in this context.

You're right, especially the microphone department here is an extreme cloning bubble. Somehow it seems to be all about cloning most of the time. Projects that are not Neumann, AKG, Sony clones have a hard time. But they do exist, the ones that set new impulses. Somehow that gives hope...

I respect your work and would never name you in this context.

You're right, especially the microphone department here is an extreme cloning bubble. Somehow it seems to be all about cloning most of the time. Projects that are not Neumann, AKG, Sony clones have a hard time. But they do exist, the ones that set new impulses. Somehow that gives hope...
i have taken apart a lot of neumann products, and the love they have is clear, even when forced to revive vintage models or keep them on life support. they are always looking for ways to feel joy in what they're doing. I feel like I have an understanding of their psychology, a bit, from the love of repeating patterns, specific numbers, simple fractions in measurements, mathematical bases. I took apart a k103 capsule recently. they had used a high precision lathe to cut the gap between the two backplates. would using a foil spacer have been easier, faster and equally or more consistent? yes. practically, there was no point to doing it this way. but doing it any other way wouldn't have been fun. I could imagine someone at the neumann factory going "look how close I can program this to cut" and taking pride in that.

i have taken apart a lot of neumann products, and the love they have is clear, even when forced to revive vintage models or keep them on life support. they are always looking for ways to feel joy in what they're doing. I feel like I have an understanding of their psychology, a bit, from the love of repeating patterns, specific numbers, simple fractions in measurements, mathematical bases. I took apart a k103 capsule recently. they had used a high precision lathe to cut the gap between the two backplates. would using a foil spacer have been easier, faster and equally or more consistent? yes. practically, there was no point to doing it this way. but doing it any other way wouldn't have been fun. I could imagine someone at the neumann factory going "look how close I can program this to cut" and taking pride in that.
From my point of view, there is nothing wrong with learning from other people's work. We all do it, it's normal and necessary.

I believe that you can only fully appreciate the work of others when you are really immersed in a topic. That is something special.

My problem starts when industrially counterfeit designs, brand names and fake packaging are produced. This creates problems for the rights holders and has very real negative effects.

It's true, sometimes things are going wrong on groupdiy.com. I have already mentioned this several times. But that doesn't justify Drosselmeier's brazen behavior.
He is a counterfeiter and a thief. I have no respect for guys like that.
Do you have respect for the forum rules (like #4- Personal attacks and generally hateful comments (regarding race, religion, gender, sex, etc...) will not be tolerated.) ?

Why do microphones inspire so much vituperative criticism?

Lets be NICER (Again).

JR

If people in this thread chill out and are nicer to each other I will then buy some Neumann badges from Aliexpress and send them as a gift to each one of you to celebrate happiness and friendship in this community.
I want you all to be able to glue Neumann Badges in your mics if you really want to do it

So be nice to each other and you just have to choose the color you want:

IMG_4165.jpeg

I just wanted to note that these are not the same bodies. This version doesn’t have functional switches (or any easy way to add them). It would be nice if an (un-branded) version of the body with functional switches became available.

Back to @dmp’s build though! Have you finished your PSU PCB?

I finished the PSU, seems OK. Voltages are a bit high so the resistor values need to be increased a bit I think. Strange since I built this up with the same components as the PSU built with Poctop's PSU PCB and the voltages in that one are correct.
PXL_20240424_164922897.jpg

Also made a top switch board. This simplifies the build and the entire mic set of pcbs can be built up together (and installed / removed from the mic body). The alignment is OK but not quite a good as the mic body switch board that screws to the body. Either way is fine, builders choice.

PXL_20240424_165145016.jpgPXL_20240424_164104697.jpg

Latest posts

Back