8 Channels ADAT Lightpipe for our preamps ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm,
so does this mean that the buy won't go thru because they are going to just start retailing these?

Joel

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]The "B" 8-ch AD/DA is actually decent? I'd love to hear from anyone who's actually used it. I'm not a fan of "B", but I wouldn't mind an affordable 8-ch AD/DA. The "quality" models cost too much for my purposes.[/quote]

i have one, i actually find it better for most thing than the pres on my 002

i opened it up earlier, the entire digital side of the unit is Alesis chips, they are decent but the clock sucks, the ADAT and word clock inputs makes it easy to clock to an external source

i am thinking of turing it into a stand alone converter, any one know how to do it?
it will never be anything special but for a fraction of the price of anything else its well worth it

[quote author="aussie_soundguy"]i am thinking of turing it into a stand alone converter, any one know how to do it?[/quote]
:roll:
it is a converter

Converts analog audio to and from Alesis Adat Lightpipe (8 channel)
... or do you mean interface ?? (don't waist your time).

No, those are actually mic preamp/ converters. The line input is just a pad before the mic preamp... I think he meant to get rid of the preamp, and feed the audio directly to the AD converters, throught some caps...

You could try some step down input transformers, like 10k:600, because pro line levels will probably clip the AD converter chip inputs. If you can´t afford the transformers, try a simple passive attenuator.

OK, had a look at the schematics...

You can actually maintain the opamps there. I would disconnect the discreet front end and wire the opamps as a unity gain balanced line receiver, and maybe you can maintain the attenuators so that you can feed it with higher level signals.

You could also try exchanging the TL074 for some BB chips, like the OPA404 or any other nice FET input one.

Also, I would sub the 22uF caps for some really good ones. Maybe you could experiment with some smaler films, like 4u7/50v, if you can find it.

Wait!

As the converters are balanced input, I don´t see why you couldn´t try bypassing all the active preamp electronics all the way...I mean, why would you need a balanced line receiver??? I don´t see any bias at the inputs, so you could also bypass the 22uF caps all the way...(not sure, wait for confirmation, or read the converters datasheet gefore trying something like this).

You could try to conect the peak meter buffer to the AD inputs directly, so that you still have some cliping lighs...

The most convenient way to generate the clock signals is to use CS8414 receiver with built-in PLL. It can generate all standard I2S clocks. As a bonus you could add a DAC chip after it for analog monitoring and route the monitor mix signal in your DAW to this S/PDIF (or TOSLINK) send.

Instead of designing and building a monolithic ADAT interface with onboard ADC's it could be better just to have the OptoGen chip, reset circuitry and the S/PDIF / TOSLINK receiver (CS8414) on one card, with internal RCA/BNC inputs/outputs to ADC cards (MCK=256x word clock, sample clock, FSYNC= word clock and the data signals).

This way you could use whatever ADC's you like have available (like if you've got old CS5394/96 ADC's you can use the Elektor Electronics ADC2001 pcb's). AKM's AK5394A (http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak5394a/ak5394a.html) would propably be the best ADC available but difficult to source.

Btw. RME AEB 8/I for 8 ch (unbalanced input) analog to ADAT and RME AEB 4/I for 4 ch (balanced input) analog to ADAT cards could also be retrofitted inside a preamp. They need TTL level word clock and output TTL level ADAT signal (so a TOTX176 etc. is needed, as well as +/-12V & 5V PSU).

> Inverness Medical PN: 2380

A URINE test?

You are in the wrong place.

I wonder if you are a spammer.

PRR said:
> Inverness Medical PN: 2380

A URINE test?

You are in the wrong place.

I wonder if you are a spammer.

I've just reported it about the other post it did, I hadn't seen this yet... was on a similar topic, and totally unrelated info, with the forum or this post...

JS

Latest posts

Back