Rode NT1A schematic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
I would think that the main factor in your disappointment is the capsule itself, which for a reason you don't like.

This capsule from rode is pretty good one. Sounds much better than all the chinese edge terminated but problem with rode is that they screw everything with the circuits, which aren't matched to the capsule. Similar result is with their sdc microphones. Capsules with different preamps sounds much better than whole original mike.
This edge terminated LD is really great for tube circuits, i tried it in a few circuits and sounds really great.
Worth to check ;)

ln76d said:
abbey road d enfer said:
I would think that the main factor in your disappointment is the capsule itself, which for a reason you don't like.

This capsule from rode is pretty good one. Sounds much better than all the chinese edge terminated but problem with rode is that they screw everything with the circuits, which aren't matched to the capsule.
Trouble is, I don't see anything really wrong with this circuit.
Capsules with different preamps sounds much better than whole original mike.
Can you be a bit more specific about it? It would be interesting to analyse why these circuits are better than the Rode.

For sdc i didn't  measured polarisation voltage, but probably is also set too high, because simple adaptation in different circuit make completely different microphone. With LDC definately 75V is set to high for these capsules and even droping voltage makes huge improvement. With NT1a also headbasket makes really poor job. Circuit by itself isn't bad but rode screwed up whole mike not mathing polarisation voltage and headbasket for the capsule. Assuming - stock everything sucks :D
Modding circuit makes improvement, changing capsule to that make also improvement and original capsule sounds much better in different (also "flat")  circuit.

ln76d said:
For sdc i didn't  measured polarisation voltage, but probably is also set too high, because simple adaptation in different circuit make completely different microphone. With LDC definately 75V is set to high for these capsules and even droping voltage makes huge improvement. With NT1a also headbasket makes really poor job. Circuit by itself isn't bad but rode screwed up whole mike not mathing polarisation voltage and headbasket for the capsule. Assuming - stock everything sucks :D
Modding circuit makes improvement, changing capsule to that make also improvement and original capsule sounds much better in different (also "flat")  circuit.
Can you tell us what you HEAR when you change the polarization voltage?

Also what you hear when you use different FLAT circuits?

Audible headbasket differences are expected but changes not always 'better'.

For the other "flat circuit" - much better low end response, smooth mid freq and completely nothing wrong in hi freq range.
Many things depend on polarisation voltage and the best option is to adjust proper by listening test.
In the NT1a change of polarisation voltage make also much more smooth hi end and little bit hi mid.
Typicaly change of sensitivity for this frequency range due to different diaphragm stiffnes.
If you will look for NT1a graph, you will notice that also low end response isn't so good:
http://recordinghacks.com/graphs.php/0376
Adding three factors  - lower polarisation voltage, higher value output caps and one leyer mesh (still could be better with other headbasket design) - you will get really decent microphone with much more flat response.
With this headbasket design anything will be better - really :D

ln76d said:
With this headbasket design anything will be better - really :D
    I agree.  This headbasket is just about solid at the bottom, but is letting hum though at the top.  Where could I source a couple better and yet inexpensive headbaskets that are compatible with this mic?

Not really understand how "is letting hum though at the top"?
Look what jolly did for this microphone - looks pretty shitty, but probably works better.
You can try to find something similar on cheap chinese microphones, i doubt that he used something better.

The wire spacing is so far apart at the top that the noise is going right through the holes after the removal of the fine mesh.

Still don't know how you get this behavior and what kind of noise it is, but i imagine that this is no hum.
Could you make sound sample of this? Maybe you discovered something new? It is not so hard to get nobel prize :D

You can try different thing if there's really some noise - cutoff front layer of internal mesh. Leave both side, top and back layers.

ln76d said:
For the other "flat circuit" - much better low end response, smooth mid freq and completely nothing wrong in hi freq range.
Many things depend on polarisation voltage and the best option is to adjust proper by listening test.
In the NT1a change of polarisation voltage make also much more smooth hi end and little bit hi mid.
ln76d, have you got some facilities to measure these differences in frequency response?

From a few months i don't have any option for mesurements.
I had for few years acces to the chamber and posibility of frequency and polar patterns repsonses measurements but it ends unfortunately.  When i made my studio, i will think too mange some place for simple measurements. It wouldn't be probably anything professional but always it will show some diferences. Need few months... 
Currently i even stoppd to build anything, i had to pack all my stuff, so few projects from the topics here need to wait a while :D

Hey,

Here's a modern Rode NT1-A circuit, I've just changed the capsule of this mic with a K47 series 2 from Dachman Audio and I'm very pleased with the new sound, it is much more easy on the highs but I would like to change the capacitors (or any other part you recommend) for a better match with the new capsule. Advices are welcome!

IMG_1815.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I would like to change the capacitors (or any other part you recommend) for a better match with the new capsule.
There's nothing like matching capacitors to the capsule in a condenser mic.
It's the whole circuit that needs to be matched to the capsule.
Changing capacitors may result in sonic changes, but that won't be related to the capsule: it may be related to your own audition, and tsomething that may work for you may not work for another.

There's nothing like matching capacitors to the capsule in a condenser mic.
It's the whole circuit that needs to be matched to the capsule.
Changing capacitors may result in sonic changes, but that won't be related to the capsule: it may be related to your own audition, and tsomething that may work for you may not work for another.
Ok, I’ve looking to change the capacitors for Nichicon FG capcitors. Might be a slight change as you’ve said but it seems it is the only upgrade available in the DYI realm for this NT1a mod. Hope to find other instructions to do a whole ‘circuit match’ as you recommended.

Can someone help me understand the microphone input symbol? When i lool at the PCB pictures, i don't get it. Where is the source of JFET connected through that via?

Latest posts

Back