U47-style bodies - who can make one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradb

This initial post will convey the latest and greatest news about the U47 mic bodies project.  From Sklyar himself:

Ordering details:

Production samples are being acquired.
These will arrive late Jan/early Feb 2010.

Once the samples have been approved, the ordering system will go online, and mass production will begin.
A link to the ordering page will be posted in this thread and in the White Market.

Production turn-around will be 1 month + shipping time.

For further ordering and production details, please read this thread starting at page 52.

Guys,

A bunch of us over in this thread (http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=30124.0) are "cloning" a U47 using a PF86, same transformer lams and an M7 capsule.  Knowing that the headbasket shape, capsule location within this headbasket, screening and ??what else?? are all important to the "sound", we're interested in copying the U47 bodies and or headbaskets to mount these microphone guts and fully go down that U47 route.  I believe we're placing a premium on the function over the form, meaning we're not looking for telefunken badges, etc.  It would be cool if these could look really nice, but not if its going to be super expensive.  Budget is a consideration.   No doubt these bodies can be used for other microphone guts as well (G7)?  So demand should be there...

Questions:

Has anyone here produced U47 style bodies / headbaskets with success?  

If not, can we provide details to get one made?  I'm sure there would be some interest.

I can get access to a real U47.  I can try to make measurements, is there anything specific I should look for?
dimensions
materials
screen sizing and layers
what else?

Some things I think the U47 clone group is considering:
cost
MK47 specific details to be added (special rails to mount the PCB)
time to produce
How to achieve the capsule mounting to mimic the height of the U47 capsule mount in the basket
what else?

FYI:::  http://www.flea-microphones.com/SERVICES/indexUS.htm

Maybe a group buy from china?

Badgeless oem mics or bodies?

R&d could be simple,no?

Take measurements, photos of each seperate piece. (Actual u47)

And draw it up in sketchup. (Simple prog. It seems.)

Take schematic / picture to local machine shop, get an estimate based on amount of pieces made.

See how many ppl would participate in the groupbuy, then ask machine shop lead time.

I don't see the point in spending large amounts of money on a donor body, if the grill will perform in an unfit manner.

All I'm saying is: for the mk7 I believe performance is and should be more important than the actual housing.

G'day.

There are several similar Chinese bodies.

For something very close though, I might speak to John Peluso (and consider arranging a Group Buy).

Maxwall,

Note how low the capsule is mounted within that headbasket.  I think on the U47, its higher..

Edit:  Just emailed Peluso...

why not just use the TBone SCT700 like the original thread describing the project?  It's inexpensive,  the circuit board fits, is the right shape, and has a cable and power supply to mod. If the grill screen is wrong it could be replaced.

I think the different bodies came along with the discussion of the psu.

Depending on price / grill / look / time ... I may look into the t.bone but ... the nady 1050 is local to the u.s. ....

At this point I'm waiting, talking, and watching.

My cheap .02

For me, this design and potential of these mics are pretty nice.  I plan on going all out...  At this moment I'm investigating options, because I may not want to have these stuck inside a "Tbone" badged tube.  Even if the final product is a bit rough, if its unique, then that would please me more.

Also, I'll need a PSU that can handle 2 mics... and I want it to be solid.

I have purchased several bodies in small quantity from the manufacturer who is making our TnC mics. Are you looking for the long body 47 or the short body? I should be ordering more parts in mid January. Lemme knough

Thanks Chance...

can you send pics and give a rough idea on price?

The long body / short body question is something that I knew would come up.  We're trying to fit microphone guts: length of 74mm x 45mm diameter.

what works? 

awesome

and you guys wanted to drop money on the tbone  ;)

how about some pics, Chance?  or some kind of description of the visuals?  Are the headbaskets chromed?  Are they badged?

Chance, for that price, I would definitely want a couple, if it's not too much hassle.
Thanks!

8 to 10 dollars.... Really??!!  Cheap!....does that include grill and/or headbasket?

Maybe I wasn't clear. That was for the body and lower cap NOT the head basket. That WOULD be available too, but I just don't have that info in front of me. The body only has internal threads that the bottom cap/XLR screws into. I remember when ordering the bodies with the headbasket, I had to specify the gage of wire I needed as well as the design. I have some pics but don't see an attachment option here

Chance,

Sounds good,

People post using a different photo-holding site.  post pics there and then link to it here, keeps space down for the board server.

A good one is photobucket.com

OR, i'll PM you my email address, you can email them to me and then I'll post them for you.  whatever is cool.

I don't think people are going to be stressing additional cost for a headbasket. 

EDIT:  Chance, your mailbox is full, so I just emailed you

can't wait to see pics. I'd be also for one at least, I wonder if i could squeeze my g7 board inside :)

michal_k said:
can't wait to see pics. I'd be also for one at least, I wonder if i could squeeze my g7 board inside :)

you could always p2p.

let's see pics!!!

i'd be in for two probally  ???

I've already populated a board. but it seems that u47 are about 60/230cm so there should be no problem.

Back