I dont need a ham radio for this effect right?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skiroy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRQymwZsic&feature=fvst

I have been driving myself crazy trying to acheive these kind of vocals but it looks like he just has a ham radio mic. Does this ound come from just the mic or are they running it through a radio type unit? Is there a mic someone could suggest for this and do they all need to be converted for xlr?

Try various older crystal mics for ham or other Hi-Z mics for communications.   Run them through a normal pre etc..  

The mic he is using looks like an EV 602 for aircraft (could be a 903E hard to tell)  some are terminated XLR/TS/PJ-068/DIN/CANNON  

For the eh-eh-eh-eh-eh effect he is just tapping the PTT key intermittently.  (pretty sweet effect)

The sound you are going for is pretty thin/nasal/phonebooth sounding.

You can also get this effect with some eq play and other processing.

Here's a pretty inexpensive one, wire it how you like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electro-Voice-602FH-High-Z-Dynamic-Noise-Canceling-Mic-/220712225477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3363794ac5

if you run a normal SM57 (or whatever!) through a practice amp (or a "real" amp for that matter) you'll get the same effect. You can also just use a "proper" mic proccesed through an amp sim for the same effect.

greetings,

Thomas

MicDaddy said:
Try various older crystal mics for ham or other Hi-Z mics for communications.   Run them through a normal pre etc..  

The mic he is using looks like an EV 602 for aircraft (could be a 903E hard to tell)  some are terminated XLR/TS/PJ-068/DIN/CANNON  

For the eh-eh-eh-eh-eh effect he is just tapping the PTT key intermittently.  (pretty sweet effect)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electro-Voice-602FH-High-Z-Dynamic-Noise-Canceling-Mic-/220712225477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3363794ac5

Can the one in your ebay link be wired to xlr?

And what is a crystal mic?The one you posted says its a dynamic.

That mic can be wired to an XLR, it was only an example, you don't need that specific microphone.  In fact you can find some that are already wired for XLR.  Many amusement parks use the same types on the rides for the overhead PA "...buckle up n enjoy your ride..." 

A crystal microphone uses a piezo generating element (crystal) which when put under stress will generate small voltages.  Harp players tend to like them for various reasons, I like the dynamic generating element as they are more robust.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/classic/520dx_green_bullet_harmonica_microphone

old CB microphones can also achieve similar results. A friend of mine uses one of them as his regular singing mic with his rock band. A nightmare for stage monitoring, but very good results just straight as-is in the FOH. Also ultra cheap.
Laurent.

MicDaddy said:
Try various older crystal mics for ham or other Hi-Z mics for communications.  Run them through a normal pre etc.. 

The mic he is using looks like an EV 602 for aircraft (could be a 903E hard to tell)  some are terminated XLR/TS/PJ-068/DIN/CANNON 

For the eh-eh-eh-eh-eh effect he is just tapping the PTT key intermittently.  (pretty sweet effect)

Okay sorry for the late response. I almost bought the mic you suggested but the noise cancelation feature made me skeptical. I could be way off but noise cancellation to me indicates an attempt for hi fi or clarity. And the effect Im going for is kind of intentionally "dirty", for lack of a better term. I want it to be obvious that its coming from a CB mic. I want it to sound like a CB. So can anyone suggest another mic or bring clarity to my perspective on the noise canceling one suggested as above?

I have a copperphone for this purpose.  It's more rolls royce than mini cooper for this application but it sounds great, stacks extremely well with other mics and is mighty purdy.  Clients love it :)

Sounds like instant 50s but price is a little steep for a once in the blue use. Can anyone start posting some links of male vocals recorded with their mics for this radio effect?

Skiroy said:
Okay sorry for the late response. I almost bought the mic you suggested but the noise cancelation feature made me skeptical. I could be way off but noise cancellation to me indicates an attempt for hi fi or clarity. And the effect Im going for is kind of intentionally "dirty", for lack of a better term. I want it to be obvious that its coming from a CB mic. I want it to sound like a CB. So can anyone suggest another mic or bring clarity to my perspective on the noise canceling one suggested as above?

Noise canceling does not imply hi-fi, in a nut shell noise cancelling mics simply are designed to 'tune out' specific noises (engine noise, propeller noise, tank rumble, explosions/gunfire etc..) that inhibit communications especially in situations where communications can directly have an impact on lives as in military and aviation use, fire and rescue, police, 911 dispatch etc... 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-canceling_microphone

Just shop around for some inexpensive throw away cb/communication mics.  You'll find something you're looking for much faster than digging for a diamond in the rough. 

And just to reiterate, the tone you're looking for can be emulated in your DAW with an eq like Logic's, or a speakerphone type plugin.

MicDaddy said:
Try various older crystal mics for ham or other Hi-Z mics for communications.  Run them through a normal pre etc.. 

The mic he is using looks like an EV 602 for aircraft (could be a 903E hard to tell)  some are terminated XLR/TS/PJ-068/DIN/CANNON 

For the eh-eh-eh-eh-eh effect he is just tapping the PTT key intermittently.  (pretty sweet effect)

Okay so I got the 602 mic. So how do I wire it to an XLR?

Attachments

• dde1ea74e9006be2b4df548762df2934.PDF
    394.2 KB · Views: 15
did you get the hi-z or the lo-z version? from the datasheet you can see that the hi-z version has a step-up transformer in it. For use with a normal mic-pre you should bypass the transformer. Tie both black wires to resp. pin 2 and 3 (or vice verca datasheet doesn't mention phase) if there is a shield tie that to pin 1.

if you got the lo z version tie the white and the black wire to pin 2 and 3 (or vice verca) and shield goes to pin 1.

greetings,

Thomas

Plug ins in a daw.....delay, eq ....put audio onto grid cut out some of the audio to create that chopper effect......take about 3 mins to do......I like this track.....

all the best

hobiesound said:
did you get the hi-z or the lo-z version? from the datasheet you can see that the hi-z version has a step-up transformer in it. For use with a normal mic-pre you should bypass the transformer. Tie both black wires to resp. pin 2 and 3 (or vice verca datasheet doesn't mention phase) if there is a shield tie that to pin 1.

if you got the lo z version tie the white and the black wire to pin 2 and 3 (or vice verca) and shield goes to pin 1.

greetings,

Thomas

I have the Hi-Z version and I only have a red,black,white and one bare wire sheild wire.

Latest posts

Back