rafael-sf

Re: [BUILD] CAPI Dual VPR & 51x Floor Box PSU~Official Support Thread
« Reply #480 on: July 26, 2018, 04:20:37 AM »
Ah, so now I am betting that you have a newer style filtered rack/backplane?? I would check the polarity of the electrolytics on the backplane. Specifically C11 and C17. The two larger 1000µF caps. One of those is likely backwards.

I wish ! Removed all the caps, the inductors, split the two boards and tried removing the 5-pin plug (probably damaging it in the process, those things just won't come out) and the short only went away when I removed R1. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,
Rafael

jsteiger

« Reply #481 on: July 26, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
I wish ! Removed all the caps, the inductors, split the two boards and tried removing the 5-pin plug (probably damaging it in the process, those things just won't come out) and the short only went away when I removed R1. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,
Rafael
R1 is between Chassis ground and audio ground. It has zero to do with the 48V rail.
Visit the CAPI store at http://www.capi-gear.com

CAPI is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by API.

rafael-sf

« Reply #482 on: July 26, 2018, 05:13:20 PM »
R1 is between Chassis ground and audio ground. It has zero to do with the 48V rail.

lol.. I should have stopped after 3am, I measured the wrong pins. Just re-tested now and the short is gone. I'll put things back together at a piece this time, the caps were all in the correct orientation tho.

Thanks,
Rafael

« Reply #483 on: July 26, 2018, 11:22:06 PM »
Hey, I've never measured card slot pins before?  Where do I put my ground probe? On the ground pin and then move my other probe down the other pins?

rafael-sf

« Reply #484 on: July 27, 2018, 12:38:43 AM »
Hey, I've never measured card slot pins before?  Where do I put my ground probe? On the ground pin and then move my other probe down the other pins?

Yup, check the last table on the assembly instructions.

« Reply #485 on: July 27, 2018, 01:25:09 AM »
Chassis or audio ground or psu gnd???

rafael-sf

« Reply #486 on: July 27, 2018, 05:00:34 AM »
Chassis or audio ground or psu gnd???

I don't have the schematics in front of me, but I think audio and PSU ground are the same (and you should use that).

« Reply #487 on: July 27, 2018, 06:30:06 AM »
I figured it out, thanks. I used my DBX560a to test all the slots after testing with DMM (most inexpensive module)  for some reason.. My Elysia Xpressor is allowing audio to pass  when THE POWER IS OFF.  Is this normal, why is this? Design of the Elysia? Other modules dont seem to be doing this.

[silent:arts]

« Reply #488 on: July 27, 2018, 08:31:32 AM »
My Elysia Xpressor is allowing audio to pass  when THE POWER IS OFF.  Is this normal, why is this? Design of the Elysia? Other modules dont seem to be doing this.
Hardwire (relay) bypass is a good design practice.

« Reply #489 on: July 27, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
Hardwire (relay) bypass is a good design practice.

Yum. those guys at Elysia.

yay, lights and sounds:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 11:21:42 AM by PetezaSlice »

rafael-sf

« Reply #490 on: August 01, 2018, 04:41:03 AM »
I finally found time to put things together and I see the short when C17 is in place. Same behavior with either one of the caps.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rafael

jsteiger

« Reply #491 on: August 01, 2018, 10:12:34 AM »
I finally found time to put things together and I see the short when C17 is in place. Same behavior with either one of the caps.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rafael
That is very odd unless there is an internal problem with C17, as long as you are 100% sure the polarity is correct.

rafael-sf

« Reply #492 on: August 01, 2018, 07:10:33 PM »
That is very odd unless there is an internal problem with C17, as long as you are 100% sure the polarity is correct.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this or should I send it back to you?

jsteiger

« Reply #493 on: August 01, 2018, 07:38:17 PM »
Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this or should I send it back to you?
I can mail you another cap but before I do simply measure DCR between the 2 thru hole pads for C17 on the PCB. You are looking for a very low Ω reading. You can also do the same thing on the cap's leads.

rafael-sf

« Reply #494 on: August 02, 2018, 04:40:53 AM »
I can mail you another cap but before I do simply measure DCR between the 2 thru hole pads for C17 on the PCB. You are looking for a very low Ω reading. You can also do the same thing on the cap's leads.

There's apparently nothing wrong with either the PCB or the caps. The PCB shows no short between the thru holes (infinite resistance) and both C11 and C17 start charging up (resistance increases the longer I measure their poles). This is the same behavior I see when I measure pins 5-15 on the card connector, which I've been assuming is the cause of the problem. That is, I don't see zero resistance between 5-15, but the same 'charging' behavior I mentioned. Makes sense?

jsteiger

« Reply #495 on: August 02, 2018, 09:58:11 AM »
There's apparently nothing wrong with either the PCB or the caps. The PCB shows no short between the thru holes (infinite resistance) and both C11 and C17 start charging up (resistance increases the longer I measure their poles). This is the same behavior I see when I measure pins 5-15 on the card connector, which I've been assuming is the cause of the problem. That is, I don't see zero resistance between 5-15, but the same 'charging' behavior I mentioned. Makes sense?
The caps charging is correct and as expected. I thought you said there was a direct short from card edge pin-15 tp pin-5 once you installed C17?

rafael-sf

« Reply #496 on: August 02, 2018, 06:45:47 PM »
The caps charging is correct and as expected. I thought you said there was a direct short from card edge pin-15 tp pin-5 once you installed C17?

No, 5-15 always show the cap charging (see a previous reply). What else could be causing the fuse to blow?

Thanks,
Rafael

jsteiger

« Reply #497 on: August 02, 2018, 07:05:57 PM »
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rafael
Based on this statement I thought you had a direct short. No indication of just a charging cap.

To be clear, you are using the filtered backplane with a Floor Box PSU?? This is the Floor Box support thread not the one for the rack. Seems like you are indication a problem with the rack not the linear PSU.

rafael-sf

« Reply #498 on: August 02, 2018, 07:10:07 PM »
Based on this statement I thought you had a direct short. No indication of just a charging cap.

To be clear, you are using the filtered backplane with a Floor Box PSU?? This is the Floor Box support thread not the one for the rack. Seems like you are indication a problem with the rack not the linear PSU.

Yes.. is that not a valid combination? I can move the discussion to the rack thread if you'd like.

jsteiger

« Reply #499 on: August 02, 2018, 07:28:57 PM »
If you are using the rack with only the Floor Box, the filtering is not needed. It is possible the inrush current to fill the 470µF caps is causing the fuse to blow. Its almost like leaving phantom on for 10 preamps and then starting up the Floor Box PSU.