Newbie question about insert (send return) in console.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olegarich

GDIY Supporter
Hey DIy family,

I know it sounds newbie but, how does insert (send and return) works in non connected mode?. I mean from tip you send and from ring it's returns, but I wonder when there is nothing pluged in to the socket - the tip is pluged directly to the ring??? How does this socket works and calls?
If i want to bring insert section from console back to the patchbay, should I use the patchbay with the same socket where tip connected to ring, when there is nothing pluged in?? Cause in other way there allways have to be cable connected or something. Do I need any special patchbay for that reason?
Tried to find out but don't know name of this socket and procedure.

Thanks a lot

To use an unbalanced TRS insert such as you describe you would normally use a Y cable which allows the TRS to be connected to both the input and the output of an external FX. You could build a patch bay with a single TRS connected to the insert point but, as you said, you would need to use a TRS that automatically connected tip to ring when nothing was plugged in. You would also still need to use the Y cable to connect to any FX.

Alternatively you could use a half normaled pair of jacks, one for send and one for return. When correctly wired these would still connect the tip to the ring of the inseetion point but would allow you to use regular patch cables to connect your FX. Usually the top jack is the send and the bottom is return. Another advantage of this method is that you can 'sniff' the send signal without breaking the tip to ring connection. This technique is often used for creating a direct out from a TRS insert.

Cheers

Ian

Unbalanced TRS inserts in consoles work pretty well because the console circuitry references the output send and the return input to the ground right at the TRS jack. So while it is only 3 wire, it treats it like 4 signals. When extending out these unbalanced sends and returns perhaps use separate two wire pairs for the send and return. Use care in wiring that you do not corrupt the integrity of the insert circuit ground with multiple connections to system ground (console insert jack, patch bay, and destination input/output ground is one ground too many).

Ideally telescoping out the insert jack ground to the patch bay ground just for those patch bay points associated with each insert loop.  Yes the tip needs to be normalled to the ring when not patched to.

Long unbalanced wiring runs could introduce errors.

JR

Back