Too Hot To DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
jplebre said:
But this year in UK, these mere 30ºC have caused me migraines, light headiness, loss of balance and just plain simple not being able to work.
Not sure if humidity, london, or the pollen, or a combination of the 3, but it is thruly unbearable :S
Must be the food  ;)

And lack of water.
In those times you need to drink even more water than normal, in small intakes.
Migraines and all they just vanish if you drink enough, no need pills there also.
So if sodas during the day or salty food, then you need even more water etc....
I hit 1.5L to 2L during the day depending on what i do, all is fine, and i'm not a big fan of very hot weathers.

We have 35°C over here, and it's been days, but got to admit, it was about time.
BUT who's speaking, the lab is underground so it's pretty cool, but i might invest in some UV lamps in the lab, we need some Tan, don't  know why but i'm starting to have visions of A ring, and dreams of me eating raw fish, hmmm

T.

Kingston said:
sahib said:
I have just modded a Blues Junior for a friend.

What did you do?

I had one long time a go and never liked it much. Instead of modding I got rid of it.

That is exactly what I told him but he insisted on asking to replace the cap values on treble and mid, and the stock speaker for 'apparently' rounded mid tone that he read on the net. I did. He plugged the guitar in, first note and I knew he did not like it but continued to play and say how great it was. Few hours later I received a text asking me to put it back to what it was. There was also another chap who wanted his Dod chorus modded. I told him to sell it and buy what he really needed. Luckily he listened.

tv said:
sahib said:
47 degrees C.
Hot sister you have..

Well, more like a cooled down stove. She is hitting 60. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kingston said:
sahib said:

What did you do?

I had one long time a go and never liked it much. Instead of modding I got rid of it.
I've had Blues Jr's since the beginning (the original, not the v2 or v3). For me, unbeatable in terms of performance/sound vs. size/weight. Not as good as my Vibrolux Reverb, but more convenient for small gigs.

abbey road d enfer said:
Kingston said:
sahib said:

What did you do?

I've had Blues Jr's since the beginning (the original, not the v2 or v3). For me, unbeatable in terms of performance/sound vs. size/weight. Not as good as my Vibrolux Reverb, but more convenient for small gigs.

The deal breaker for me was when I got to play Blues Junior and Pro Junior side by side. The smaller Pro Junior simply worked better for my playing. Distortion was somehow more responsive, but the small speaker is the obvious major tonal difference which I really like. I never had any need for the reverb or the three part tone section either.

I like all things "one knob" when they are tuned to perfection.

But I have designed a sub 10-watt SE-output amp that is not based on fender tweed and with somewhat heretical output tubes. Just haven't gotten around implementing it yet. Should work great with the Pro Junior cab.

Kingston said:
The deal breaker for me was when I got to play Blues Junior and Pro Junior side by side. The smaller Pro Junior simply worked better for my playing. Distortion was somehow more responsive, but the small speaker is the obvious major tonal difference which I really like.
Interesting. Exactly the contrary for me. I play more rockabilly and country than blues so for me its clean (?) sound and good handling of low strings (I often play a baritone).
I never had any need for the reverb
After replacing my third reverb element (definitely a weak point in the BJ), I decided I would use a reverb pedal if I needed reverb at all.

abbey road d enfer said:
Exactly the contrary for me. I play more rockabilly and country than blues so for me its clean (?) sound and good handling of low strings (I often play a baritone).

That's it definitely. For my all humbucker mic guitars and finger picking but very crunchy sound preferences the bigger cab/speaker just got muddy and low-mid boomy.

You can de-mud buckers with a bit of a hpf before you hit the amp - you could easily DIY a gizmo to "one-stop-does-it-all" buffer and hpf your guit ... actively, or even cook an entirely passive "cleanup-box" .. if you're such a kind of a person

I'm more of a DI person, but if you need to mic the guit, imo a bigger speaker has a certain tone advantage over smaller stuff, also a separate (non-combo) spkrs work better imnho .... ymmv

dirtyhanfri said:
42°C Right now (11:47AM)  in my house, too hot to diy...

In my mansard here in Sicily (where I make DIY) there are 40°C, I can resist only 5 minutes there.
There I have a big smoke extraction unit for the soldering fumes so I need it to solder.
Fortunally all orders are for kits. 

I love Finland and in this time I envy the Finnish too!!!!

abbey road d enfer said:
and noticed the increasing awareness of Londoners for refined cuisine, the burgeoning offer and the correlative increase in price.

good food is business, italians know it, just see the italian restorants over the world and the italian food products, but maybe they are cheaper in several countries than in Italy.
In Italy food prices rose at very high levels:
A kg. of apples are 2-2.5 euros, meat is 13-15 euros/kg, veal is at 20-24 euros/kg, swordfish is
at 35-45 euros/kg, etc.... these are prices at supermarket! just seen today.
Italian restaurants in Italy are expensive: often 60-100 euro/person and more.
Italians spend a lot of money for eating, and this is one of the first problems here,
food was considered a fortune for Italy but now is a problem for many italians.

ppa said:
I love Finland and in this time I envy the Finnish too!!!!

It's been 24-27°C most days last weeks here as well. A bit too hot for my tastes and having thousands of murky dark lakes around isn't as exotic it sounds.

I'd happily swap places with you, I haven't had my fix of diving in the Mediterranean in three years now!

my home is near to one the most beatiful sicilian (and italian) beach, I should say that here sea is fantastic and also sun is so strong you become dry without towel in some minutes. 

Kingston said:
It's been 24-27°C most days last weeks here as well. A bit too hot for my tastes and having thousands of murky dark lakes around isn't as exotic it sounds.
it is a pity because finnish lakes are usually fantastic.

abbey road d enfer said:
Kingston said:
The deal breaker for me was when I got to play Blues Junior and Pro Junior side by side. The smaller Pro Junior simply worked better for my playing. Distortion was somehow more responsive, but the small speaker is the obvious major tonal difference which I really like.
Interesting. Exactly the contrary for me. I play more rockabilly and country than blues so for me its clean (?) sound and good handling of low strings (I often play a baritone).
I never had any need for the reverb
After replacing my third reverb element (definitely a weak point in the BJ), I decided I would use a reverb pedal if I needed reverb at all.

Clean and no reverb for me too. I am primarily a slide player so a bit of a higher action works for me. Yesterday I repaired a JTM30 for a friend. An utter crap on gain channel but man it shines on clean. Strat tuned to E, plugged in straight with no reverb. Wow.

Back