1176 - some transistor and other questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Tibes

Some questions which are puzzling me:

-What difference does it make to use BC 550C Transistors instead of the BC 107 types?
My knowledge isn't sufficient to judge it theoretically - as far as I understand they should have more gain and be quieter. But I certainly might overlook something I'm not aware of. Juergen Haible uses them on his 1176 inspired project as well.

-Does the BC 560 have to be any specific type (a,b,c?)?

-Do the fets for the audio gain reduction and the gr meter driver have to be matched, if so, how closely?

-Is it better to have higher hfe types for the output transistors (BD 139/140-16)?

-Is it of any benefit to select a pair with the same hfe for the output and will a normal hfe tester in a multimeter be sufficient to do so?

-What sensitivity should the VU have? Does it have to have rectifier diodes on the meter (I believe some 'real' VUs have that)? If so, what type of diode? 1N4148 or something with a lower breaktrough voltage?
I have a bunch of cheap VU style meters lying around but don't know whether they fit electrically.

I hope that maybe some of you guys can help me with that - thanks a lot!

And a big big thank you to mnats - I received his boards which are great and he handled everything very fluently and fast (even the shipment from australia to germany). It's great to diy 'worldwide'!

Michael

[quote author="Michael Tibes"]Some questions which are puzzling me:

-What difference does it make to use BC 550C Transistors instead of the BC 107 types?
My knowledge isn't sufficient to judge it theoretically - as far as I understand they should have more gain and be quieter. But I certainly might overlook something I'm not aware of. Juergen Haible uses them on his 1176 inspired project as well.

-Does the BC 560 have to be any specific type (a,b,c?)?

[/quote]

The BC107 is not hard to find, and it's known working. Stick with that.

-Do the fets for the audio gain reduction and the gr meter driver have to be matched, if so, how closely?

Depends on your demands regarding meter precision. Imho this dosen't matter much.

-Is it better to have higher hfe types for the output transistors (BD 139/140-16)?

-Is it of any benefit to select a pair with the same hfe for the output and will a normal hfe tester in a multimeter be sufficient to do so?

Look at the schematic; lots of feedback, low overall gain. High-HFe is not necessary in topologies like that,

-What sensitivity should the VU have? Does it have to have rectifier diodes on the meter (I believe some 'real' VUs have that)? If so, what type of diode? 1N4148 or something with a lower breaktrough voltage?
I have a bunch of cheap VU style meters lying around but don't know whether they fit electrically.

You'll need a "real" vu-meter, as described several times in the 1176-meta. 0VU=+4dB over 1mW/600 Ohms (0dB=775mV) with 3.6K Ohms in series. Read the specs for the Sifam meter suggested.

Jakob E.

Back