moqtev

Auto switch on/off talkback
« on: April 07, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »
Hi all!

My studio is based an a Mac G5 running Logic. I'm looking for an automatic talkback system that can switch on when the DAW is stopped and off when its playing or recording.
I usually use a mic hooked up in a normal channel, and its open all the time for better communication between control room and musicians but it would be nice to have it switched off

My idea is a box with a relay that you could insert after the micpreamp that receives for instance miditimecode from the computer or something like that.
Does anyone know of a DIY project with anything like this?

I know Gyraf has made something like that in the studio where he is based.....

Best regards

Morten

pucho812

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 04:29:23 PM »
might even be simpler then that. run a gate in duck mode on your talkback channel/micpre, etc,etc.

As we may know  a gate will open and allow audio to pass through once the audio has passed the set threshold level. A gate switched to duck will do the opposite(not allow audio to pass thorugh) and close once audio has  passed a set threshold level. Same controls still apply such as attack, release, range, etc. So what would be going on if you set the threshold right, when you talk the channel is open  but when you play music the music being louder will have the channel turn off. Works  on communication mics in the studio as well.
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

peterc

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 05:07:32 PM »
Barry Rudolph had a trick like that. Do a search for his site, it's one of his articles.

Peter
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

yan_b

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 05:46:47 AM »
you can also use a gate for the mic channel with external side chain from the playback, but you might get some half duplex communication problems.
I love the smell of burned electrolyte in the morrning.

Kev

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 05:53:09 PM »
I have a talkback project with a contact closure so if you can provide a GPI from the DAW then things could work.
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/talkback/talkback.htm
project is long finished but the web page is very incomplete

uses SSM2142 and 2143 along with a relay for for the duck
and an SSM2017 or 2019 for the mic-pre with a relay for the talk over.

PCB + Power Toroid + I/O connectors ... that's it I think.
Kev
DIY Factory