I did a thing! -- Monitor controller

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtZHP

"I did a thing!" 

That's what my son says whenever he accomplishes something.  Usually says it completely deadpan....

Anyway....

I threw together a little monitor controller.  The big knob on the left is a 23-position stepped attenuator I bought from Taiwan on Ebay for about $25.  The headphone amp is none other than Jakob's Gyraf Headphone Amp.  Add a couple toggle switches and some wire, and Bob's your auntie's new boyfriend.  The headphone mix is selectable between the main stereo input or an auxilliary input (like another pair of outputs from your interface), and the main monitors can listen to either the main stereo outs or a "2-track" input.

Attachments

• monitor_control.jpg
    monitor_control.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 112
Im a big fan of stomp box style gadgets like that , how did the stepped attenuator work out ? I have some of those blue chineese multiway switchs as well ,stereo matching will probably beat any kind of pot . 0.1 % percent resistors are available in those too I believe .

ruffrecords said:
well done. I love the big RCA style knob. How did you do the legend for the controls?

Cheers

Ian

I found a sheet of rub-off transfer lettering from a project I did years ago.  Forget all about them.  Transferred the letters, then shot it with some clear coat.

Tubetec said:
Im a big fan of stomp box style gadgets like that , how did the stepped attenuator work out ? I have some of those blue chineese multiway switchs as well ,stereo matching will probably beat any kind of pot . 0.1 % percent resistors are available in those too I believe .

So far so good on the attenuator.  It feels like decent quality anyway.  Apparently, home stereo DIY is huge in Taiwan, so the stuff is supposed to be pretty good for the money.

CurtZHP said:
I found a sheet of rub-off transfer lettering from a project I did years ago.  Forget all about them.  Transferred the letters, then shot it with some clear coat.

Cool. Like the old Letraset stuff?

Cheers

ian

ruffrecords said:
Cool. Like the old Letraset stuff?

Cheers

ian

Yeah, something like that.  Usually, nowadays, I use inkjet-printable water slide decal sheets, similar to what you'd get in a model airplane kit.  A lot easier and a lot less tedious than rubbing off one letter at a time, but doing white or even very light colors is near impossible, for some reason.  Since this thing's chassis was already black, I had to go to Plan B.

Back