Zener value across Schoeps PNP outputs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khron

Just a curiosity thing here.

As i understand, for PNP's with Vceo lower than 60V or so, one definitely wants zener diodes across the C-E junction.

My question is, how critical is the value of the zener voltage, in those cases?

The stock Schoeps schematic indicates 6.2V, but would there be any detrimental effects if one were to use higher-value ones (say 12V-ish)?  ???

I think Schoeps used 6v2 in the original CMC5 schematic simply because it was the same value as the regulator zener (helped simplify the parts list? :) ).
I did the same thing with 9V1 zeners on a  Schoeps clone I did -- partly because I didn't have any 6v2  zeners to hand at the time.
No problems so far.

I do tend to copy Schoeps usually though.  I always make sure I have few 6v2 zeners to hand.....

I don't think the value is critical for this task....

The reason i asked had sort of a similar motivation - i'm putting together a parts order, and among a couple other projects, some Schoeps circuits are also among the destinations for said parts, and i'd want to minimize the number of different items :)

And supplying the Schoeps JFET at a higher voltage should / might offer more headroom? Or just more gain?..
(A quick run of LTspice would seem to indicate it's only more gain, not more headroom.)

Khron said:
And supplying the Schoeps JFET at a higher voltage should / might offer more headroom? Or just more gain?..
A little more headroom from the electronics (about 3dB) but not from the capsule. The original Schoeps circuit is designed to match the capsule's output. Increasing headroom in the electronics may not provide spectacular global improvement.
Gain difference is marginal, since it's essentially governed by the resistors surrounding the FET, as Ruud mentioned (probably about 0.01dB).

Latest posts

Back