Rode NT1 Kit (the black one) Mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was stock when measured for correction. Yes the difference is subtle because if you look at my measurement, stock NT1 is not a hyped mic, it is flat-ish to start with which is why i choose it for platform for modding, not much needed to be done to it to make it either a measurement cardioid, or flat platform for emulations.

To spot the difference loop one sibilant letter, and turn on and off the IR. And of course check with some analyzer if the IR is actually working, some IR/loader combos are buggy.

Looking at the previous charts, it seems like you added the foam after you did the circuit filter mod? Those curves look closer to each other in shape and response if I'm reading them correctly. In that case, would the foam and flat IR be in conflict? To me, it would seem that the foam mod plus flat IR would complement each other well, even if the foam alters the frequency response a little (which will be EQ'd in post anyway). The audible physical isolation and response smoothing alone that the foam provides makes me care less about perfect flatness, and may render the IR moot in cases where I might need the extra CPU since the NT1 is already so darn close. Am I thinking correctly here? I don't have reliable means of measuring, that's why I'm asking. I'm just going by my ears, and what I'm seeing (or not seeing) in a real-time EQ analyzer. Will take a closer look at the sibilants, but I suspect it won't be enough to worry about either way. On that note, thanks again for the foam mod recommendation and the measurements!:)

Don't worry about the foam+ir, in this case it's mostly there for the capsule stand resonance at low frequencies. I mean, if you have trouble noticing the IR effect, the FR effect of the foam would be ridiculously small.

Don't worry about the foam+ir, in this case it's mostly there for the capsule stand resonance at low frequencies. I mean, if you have trouble noticing the IR effect, the FR effect of the foam would be ridiculously small.

Update on the Flat IR...and my stupidity. In my defense, it was my first time in years opening Convolver, and I was so excited to try the IR. All that to say..

By default the dry signal level in Convolver is set to max, wet signal is set to 50% (there are separate gain and stereo spread controls as opposed to mix knobs). Those are appropriate levels for quick-demo'ing reverbs...but definitely not for applying the Flat IR. All that to say, I made it wet signal only and gain-matched it to the source. The difference is very noticeable, and very pleasant! I opened Weiss EQ MP and set it to hold peaks and just looped a few different sections of my speaking voice with distinct sibiliants while toggling Convolver on and off. Going from low to high frequencies, here are the most noticeable differences to my eyes (and the ears confirmed):

- Gentle boost roughly in the 80-700Hz range
- Slight boost around 1-2K?
- Noticeable loss around 9.7K
- Gentle boost around 18K

Take into account this is my speaking voice and not white/pink noise or anything, as I don't have the means of reliably projecting noise. But just on my voice, my observations correspond with a very nice smooth rounding against the stock frequency response chart from post #1. It definitely mellows out some of the stock harshness. Enough to make for less aggressive EQ and de-essing. Definitely useful.

All that to say, thanks again @kingkorg!

Now...in being pretty happy with the general results of the NT1, I did some comparisons on Audio Test Kitchen (ATK) (just found out about it today) out of my ongoing curiousity to build my own workhorse mic. From what I heard there, I really have taken a liking to the Neumann TLM 193 (sort of like a transformerless cardioid-only U89) as the most natural-sounding Neumann to my ears. It was so flat and mellow, a really excellent unexaggerated base for the recordings on ATK Frequency response charts confirm what I was hearing. It was enough for me to start planning my first and likely only build to satisfy the desire for a Neumann, to scratch the DIY itch, and most importantly to have flat-responding and serviceable workhorse mic. Starting a new thread and will tag you there!

Last edited:
Looks like we may have to revise the description of the Rode NT1 yet again with the introduction of the NT1 5th generation......

https://rode.com/en/microphones/studio-condenser/nt1-5th-generation
• Internal 32 bit floating point encoding (so providing a 'theoretical' dynamic range of 1528dB ! o_O )
• (up to)192KHz sampling.
• max SPL at 142dB
• 4dBa noise floor
• Internal software based audio processing - including Aphex options.

So - an essentially 'unclippable' microphone using the same HF6 capsule as the current 'black' NT1 -- and priced at around £265

Looks like it might a bit of a game changer ?....

Last edited:
Looks like we may have to revise the description of the Rode NT1 yet again with the introduction of the NT1 5th generation......

• Internal 32 bit floating point encoding (so providing a 'theoretical' dynamic range of 1528dB ! o_O )
• max SPL at 142dB
• 4dBa noise floor

So - an essentially 'unclippable' microphone using the same HF6 capsule as the current 'black' NT1 -- and priced at around £265

Wow, thanks for the tip! Yes indeed, hard to follow their NT1 models 😪

It does seem very interesting. I'm just not sure how unclippable it is if they kept the same input topology. It is certainly high headroom, but the knee over 1%thd is very sharp, and skyrockets above that. Also i'm constantly confused by this max spl, is it for 1% or what?

I'm pretty sure i'll gut one of these eventually :D

• max SPL at 142dB
• 4dBa noise floor

Unclippable I would think applies only to the output, no? That's fine, but anything that exceeds the max SPL would cause the mic to "clip" / distort at the capsule. The only time I see 32-bit useful at all is on super loud sources like guitar/bass cabs in the studio and maybe racing or sound effects gathering in the field so that one doesn't need to worry about levels going into the recorder. But I'm not sure who's going to be using this mic for those purposes tethered to a computer via USB. I could be wrong. But as far as I understand 32-bit, it makes more sense on the recorder side so that one doesn't need to worry about levels while recording, and then make the adjustments down without any consequence in post if anything "clips" at or above peak (there are typically two converters - one for low levels and one for high, and the information is merged to produce a file with insane latitude; something like RAW audio in camera terms). That said, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this mic and the philosophy of use. It's also cheaper than the black NT1, which makes me question the quality of the AD converter inside. Also just seems like more that could go wrong with the mic. Just my initial instinct. Could be a great mic. Just philosophy of use is not clear. Maybe I would need to understand the software aspect of it..perhaps everything really is done inside the mic and it simply passes an "ideal" signal and level via USB, but that would involve some processing for sure. Anyway, I won't spend any time trying to figure that out. I'm happy with the NT1 (and an older Neumann TLM 193 on the way that will likely replace that). They are both 32-bit mics by virtue of my field recorder.:)

Wow, thanks for the tip! Yes indeed, hard to follow their NT1 models 😪

It does seem very interesting. I'm just not sure how unclippable it is if they kept the same input topology. It is certainly high headroom, but the knee over 1%thd is very sharp, and skyrockets above that. Also i'm constantly confused by this max spl, is it for 1% or what?

I'm pretty sure i'll gut one of these eventually :D

Confused by SPL in general, or what they really mean by max SPL? :)

........ But as far as I understand 32-bit, it makes more sense on the recorder side so that one doesn't need to worry about levels while recording, and then make the adjustments down without any consequence in post if anything "clips" at or above peak (there are typically two converters - one for low levels and one for high, and the information is merged to produce a file with insane latitude; something like RAW audio in camera terms). That said, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this mic and the philosophy of use. It's also cheaper than the black NT1, which makes me question the quality of the AD converter inside........
According to Curtis Judd's review, there are 4 internal 'Revolution' preamps - whatever they are? - and 4 A/D converters. See here:
What those actually are or how good they are? -- who knows.
The mic includes an audio interface, with lots of software controlled effects etc. It' s also possible to plug more than one into a computer, using a USB hub if necessary.
I'm guessing it's aimed at non technical podcasters, etc who can simply plug in the mic to their computer via USB ?

As it's also a standard NT1 with a XLR output -- and you say cheaper than the existing NT1? -- Could be that people might have trouble shifting existing stock at todays' prices?.

There is of course the other thing you mentioned -- more to go wrong!.
But if it includes the Rode 10 year guarantee (haven't actually come across that yet) it might be worth looking at?....

Unclippable I would think applies only to the output, no? That's fine, but anything that exceeds the max SPL would cause the mic to "clip" / distort at the capsule. The only time I see 32-bit useful at all is on super loud sources like guitar/bass cabs in the studio and maybe racing or sound effects gathering in the field so that one doesn't need to worry about levels going into the recorder. But I'm not sure who's going to be using this mic for those purposes tethered to a computer via USB. I could be wrong. But as far as I understand 32-bit, it makes more sense on the recorder side so that one doesn't need to worry about levels while recording, and then make the adjustments down without any consequence in post if anything "clips" at or above peak (there are typically two converters - one for low levels and one for high, and the information is merged to produce a file with insane latitude; something like RAW audio in camera terms). That said, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this mic and the philosophy of use. It's also cheaper than the black NT1, which makes me question the quality of the AD converter inside. Also just seems like more that could go wrong with the mic. Just my initial instinct. Could be a great mic. Just philosophy of use is not clear. Maybe I would need to understand the software aspect of it..perhaps everything really is done inside the mic and it simply passes an "ideal" signal and level via USB, but that would involve some processing for sure. Anyway, I won't spend any time trying to figure that out. I'm happy with the NT1 (and an older Neumann TLM 193 on the way that will likely replace that). They are both 32-bit mics by virtue of my field recorder.:)

Confused by SPL in general, or what they really mean by max SPL? :)
Many uses for mic like this. Easy to overlook some less obvious uses for a mic. Nature recording, huge ASMR comunity, speciall FX, field recording. Last summer i recorded some IRs with my phone of the amazing Casa de musica in Portugal during tourist tour. Wish i had something like this with me.

I watched the Curtis Judd video and read around a bit more and have some thoughts. I said I wouldn't look very deep, but I couldn't help myself.

According to Curtis Judd's review, there are 4 internal 'Revolution' preamps - whatever they are? - and 4 A/D converters. See here:
What those actually are or how good they are? -- who knows.
The mic includes an audio interface, with lots of software controlled effects etc. It' s also possible to plug more than one into a computer, using a USB hub if necessary.
I'm guessing it's aimed at non technical podcasters, etc who can simply plug in the mic to their computer via USB ?

As it's also a standard NT1 with a XLR output -- and you say cheaper than the existing NT1? -- Could be that people might have trouble shifting existing stock at todays' prices?.

There is of course the other thing you mentioned -- more to go wrong!.
But if it includes the Rode 10 year guarantee (haven't actually come across that yet) it might be worth looking at?....

You're absolutely right, the 10 year warranty is a really big draw, and smart for Rode. I think having that kind of insurance is at the very least good marketing, but for anyone who has intent to use the mics day in and day out, it definitely makes it feel like a good investment with some added peace of mind.

Price, similar MSRP around $400 USD, but actual price at Sweetwater (US) is $269 for the black NT1, and $249 for the 5th generation. Both come with the same nice accessory package that includes a shock mount, pop filter, XLR cable, and a little bag for the mic (my black NT1 came with one at least). 5th gen adds a USB cable. It's a great package overall, and very hard to beat! That was my draw to the black NT1. As for the 5th gen being a bit cheaper...if not an indication of cheaper parts, it could very well be a matter of them having simply streamlined their production and costs even more. They do everything in-house after all.

After watching the Curtis Judd video, he did mention the fixes and changes to clipping taking place in post. Saying that the mic doesn't clip seems like massaged marketing language, though to Rode's credit, they lay this out in their product video here. Because the mic WILL clip/distort at or over max SPL figure, like any other mic. Could be a little confusion for non-technical users. But, as far as the output is concerned, unless I'm missing something, 32-bit would not benefit a live stream scenario if there is any clipping. Correcting levels after the fact can still only be done in post, so setting levels the traditional way is still the only option for live streaming. Now, that is not taking into account any potential hardware or software's ability to auto-limit a digital signal in real time.

I guess I was simply thrown off by the language a little. 32-bit is a big deal with recorders of course. But while recording, things can still "clip" and will sound distorted if they exceed 0db. There is simply the ability to recover it in post without any consequence.

Many uses for mic like this. Easy to overlook some less obvious uses for a mic. Nature recording, huge ASMR comunity, speciall FX, field recording. Last summer i recorded some IRs with my phone of the amazing Casa de musica in Portugal during tourist tour. Wish i had something like this with me.

Yeah, I agree by virtue of its 32-bit digital audio output. I think that's excellent. But it still requires a computer/tablet (unless this could be interfaced with a phone and the phone has the ability to capture and record 32-bit audio?). That would be a very cumbersome setup in the field. That said, I think there is still virtue in keeping things separated. A black NT1 + Zoom F3 (super compact 32-bit recorder) such as I have, is already very compact and convenient. And modular. Mics can be swapped in and out, and recorder can be upgraded later to use with same mics. I personally don't have a need to keep those features only in one mic, especially one that cannot record internally.

Now, if internal recording were a feature, then I could see getting an all-in-one mic like this at a decent price, as that would be as compact as you can get for run and gun. I don't think I would count a field recorder with built-in mics since their mics are in a different category. I'm talking more of what Rode is trying to do with the NT1, but with internal recording. That would definitely be interesting, especially if they kept the price similar and would help the buyer rule out the need for investing in a separate field recorder (even if something like the F3 is very affordable). But I could see the virtue of such a mic, even for someone who already has a field recorder with 32-bit capability and just needs something ultra ultra compact.

Until then, the 5th generation feels too in-between for someone like me. But probably for a great number of people, it's a very simple and affordable way into 32-bit recording into your computer. It's being marketed for studio anyway, so mobility is not an issue. And if it's pretty much the same performance as a black NT1, then it's an excellent platform for sure. I won't deny that!

Maybe with the 7th or 8th generation, we might see a robust moisture-resistant multi-pattern LDC with an RF-bias circuit, internal 32-bit recording, equal or better performance to the new NT1's, and all at a similar price-point. Might be novel and interesting enough with home and field recorders alike. I'm not sure if I would personally buy one, but it would be a cool "just because" microphone haha..

@rogs @kingkorg

I stand corrected on clipping. I said "clipping at the capsule," but I just watched an official Neumann video about micing a kick drum with a condenser that gives me some food for thought. The gentleman in the video used a vintage U 47 (147db max SPL) and a TLM 107 (153db max spl) inside of a bass drum where SPL's can sometimes hit around ~150db at the peaks. He mentioned that it's a myth that capsules distort (true?) and that the clipping actually happens in the electronics, and therefore you shouldn't worry in general about using such mics for kick drums.

If so, that would make sense that an internally-32-bit mic could be un-clippable, but then why put a max SPL figure at all? Is that what you were confused by @kingkorg? Now I think I understand the NT1 5 Gen even less if it weren't for the max SPL number..😅

@rogs @kingkorg

I stand corrected on clipping. I said "clipping at the capsule," but I just watched an official Neumann video about micing a kick drum with a condenser that gives me some food for thought. The gentleman in the video used a vintage U 47 (147db max SPL) and a TLM 107 (153db max spl) inside of a bass drum where SPL's can sometimes hit around ~150db at the peaks. He mentioned that it's a myth that capsules distort (true?) and that the clipping actually happens in the electronics, and therefore you shouldn't worry in general about using such mics for kick drums.

If so, that would make sense that an internally-32-bit mic could be un-clippable, but then why put a max SPL figure at all? Is that what you were confused by @kingkorg? Now I think I understand the NT1 5 Gen even less if it weren't for the max SPL number..😅
It's not about the capsule, although it could be the limiting factor depending on the design. It's about circuit input topology, and how much it can take. There is also difference between clipping and thd. It doesn't have to clip, but can still have considerable amount of THD.

Regular NT1 is speced 1% at 132db. I tested the circuit by injecting 600mV RMS and that gave me 1%. Because of the circuit topology it goes into clipping very fast above that. THD skyrockets. Very sharp knee. That capsule polarized at stock ca.70v can put out much more than 600mV. So if the new model has the same circuit topology before the AD converter i am afraid it is far from clippless. Changing the topology would mean worse noise spec, so i don't think they've changed it. But all of this is just guessing.

Edit:
Lower the capsule polarization voltage, and i'm sure the NT1 can take kick drum spl.
It is also important to specify where you put the mic within the drum. Put it anywhere near hole where air flow is concentrated and at very low frequency the clipping will be least of your worries.

Not sure how they came up with that figure for u47 max spl, i'm pretty sure u47 will crap out at those levels, especially the LF.

Last edited:
.... Regular NT1 is speced 1% at 132db. I tested the circuit by injecting 600mV RMS and that gave me 1%. Because of the circuit topology it goes into clipping very fast above that. THD skyrockets. Very sharp knee. That capsule polarized at stock ca.70v can put out much more than 600mV. So if the new model has the same circuit topology before the AD converter i am afraid it is far from clippless. Changing the topology would mean worse noise spec, so i don't think they've changed it. But all of this is just guessing.....
From what I can deduce, this new 5th generation uses 4 x new 'Revolution' pre-amps - all set up to accept different range of max SPL.
That's according to the Curtis Judd review here (should automatically start at the relevant section for that information):

So I'm guessing the lowest gain (highest signal level) one is designed to at least accommodate the max capsule output level?....

Last edited:
So I'm guessing the lowest gain (highest signal level) one is designed to at least accommodate the max capsule output level?....

Yep, that's pretty much what quality high dynamic range 32-bit recording relies on (at least two processors). I recall hearing that the same method has been used in some high-end 24-bit recorders, but I could be wrong. In any case, that's how they get the insane dynamic range. You have at least one processor handling super quiet parts of the signal by operating at a higher gain, and at least one handling loud sources by operating at a lower gain (in this case Rode is utilizing four). In that way, 32-bit simply offers more latitude and flexibility for editing in post, much like RAW does for photo editing (and more and more for video correction and coloring). If something clips in the traditional sense, it's possible to just lower the gain like you'd lower the exposure in photo editing - vice versa if something is too quiet or underexposed, it can be lifted. And all with little consequence, simply because there is enough underlying information available to make those kinds of adjustments. It's really just for the editing and processing latitude for a better lower bit-rate end product delivery. We could see more people recording and mixing and mastering in 32-bit into the future (i.e. truly 32-bit from end to end, not just 32-bit containers for what were 24-bit files) for specific applications, and then as the technology and computing power becomes better and cheaper it may be more prolific. I guess there is nothing stopping anyone from doing that right now, but it seems excessive for most applications. Who knows..could be something about which we eventually wonder how we were living without haha..

I picked on of the NT1 5th Gens yesterday and played around with it last night I'll give you my humble opinions but first a bit of history:

The very first mic I ever bought was a Rode NT 1000 it was one of the shrillest microphones I have ever owned...nearly 20 years later my hearing is not as hyped...I basically can't hear anything above 13.5 kHz...I know this about me...but I can still hear "shrill".

I've built a few mics, mostly tubes, a C12 a u87, u67, an Alice OP, modded a bunch more and at the end of the day I am by no means anywhere near a "mic sound expert"...I simply know what I like and what I don't like on certain sources...
I still think the lowly SM57 is one of the best mics in the locker, my current fav's are some Modded Oktiva Tube mics and some modded Studio Projects mic and the dual capsule OPA Alice I built to use as a Townsend Sphere substitute (it work quite well there)...

{On the subject of mic emulations, I have a slate and an Antelope and a few software emulations, none of them impress me and remain mostly unused, I don't even really use my UAD Sphere plugin...it's just "frequency font" as far as I'm concerned}

Back to the NT1 5th Gen and 32-bit float...32-bit float has been around for a while...I actually have a Crown USM 810 digital mixer that has a ADSP-21065L chip in it that they used doing 32 bit float back in 2004...(It's a PITA to set up and remains in a closet because no one uses those funky USB to serial buses cables anymore and I no longer run MS Windows in the studio)...my point is the technology is NOT new...BUT Rode has done a pretty decent job of making it seamless and user friendly...

I plugged it in to my MBP M2 running Ventura on Silicone last night...had to set it up in Audio/Midi and select 32-bit float then set the volume slider...that was it as far as drivers and software goes.

Created aggregate device with my UAD Apollo Twin and then started a new project in ProTool 2023...SillyCon...It is plugged into my computer on a USB-C port that is part of my Razor hub that also provides connection to my Apollo Twin/Apogee Thunderbolt stuff/Etc...Apple has made ports part of the premium price they feel we don't need anything but what they give us, shame on Timmy Cook.

Picked up an acoustic guitar hit record...did several takes, moving the volume slider in Audio/Midi-setup to both extremely hot and extremely faint...recorded close and far away...

In every instance I was able to go into Protools and render the audio BACK to a very decent recording in spite of barely hitting the meters OR the meters pegging red the entire time...made no difference the mic recorded my acoustic quite well with that basic NT1 capsule capture...nothing to write home about but also nothing to get your panites in a wad about either...

Personally I think a lot of the time we strain at gnats farts when we look at microphone specs and expectations...

I use my tube mics for color, my OpaAlice for emulations, my modded mics when I'm bored and now I will use this very good <$300 mic in a lot of situations where I don't even need to drag out an interface and will have very solid recorded material to apply all those "frequency fonts" that reside on my iLok.

Back in my PSW days we used to use a phrase as a joke when referring to either analog or digital, I think Fletcher may have coined it or Slipperman..."Alsihad"...

You were either a "Luddite" or an "Alsihad" user...meaning you recorded to analog tape or used "All's I had" meaning digital...

I think we should resurrect something similar "Weesallhav" which means we are spoiled and have no idea how good we have it now...

These are incredible mics for less than $300...

(By the way, the mic comes with a sleeve, a brand new red XLR cable, a pretty decent USB-C cable and a very good shock mount, AND an inside AD converter...Rode cannot be making a ton on all this, this is a bargain)

Which is not to say they cannot or maybe should be modded, that is completely up to the user...I suppose a much better capsule could give you much better results...and for this price it might be worth tweaking the circuit a tiny bit>>>

Your mileage may vary

Last edited:
I don't even really use my UAD Sphere plugin...it's just "frequency font" as far as I'm concerned}
Except it isn't. Sphere is the only one that actually emulates the off axis sound, polar pattern, applies EQ to rear diaphragm in cardioid to get correct off axis and 180°, and introduces specific THD for each emulation. This is a clearly measurable fact. But you did write as far as you are concerned so i respect that, all of this might not be important to you personally. I'm just putting this out so others, interested in these intricacies, can pay attention.

Picked up an acoustic guitar hit record...did several takes, moving the volume slider in Audio/Midi-setup to both extremely hot and extremely faint...recorded close and far away...
So you tested new allegedly high headroom low noise, wide dynamic range mic with acoustic guitar? And what did you exactly expect to happen?

You haven't challenged high SPL capabilities of the mic, nor extreme low noise. You haven't even mentioned noise in your "review" which is key feature of this mic. Moving the slider doesn't do really anything in this case. You need to try to clip the mic itself, or record at very low level and see what boosting the signal in the post sounds like.

You should ideally record reverberant source. Something like guitar in a cathedral at distance and low level, and see what happens with reverb tail when you normalize the level.

Ideally you should shoot it out simultaneously against a regular mic recorded at 32bit.

Except it isn't. Sphere is the only one that actually emulates the off axis sound, polar pattern, applies EQ to rear diaphragm in cardioid to get correct off axis and 180°, and introduces specific THD for each emulation. This is a clearly measurable fact. But you did write as far as you are concerned so i respect that, all of this might not be important to you personally. I'm just putting this out so others, interested in these intricacies, can pay attention.

So you tested new allegedly high headroom low noise, wide dynamic range mic with acoustic guitar? And what did you exactly expect to happen?

You haven't challenged high SPL capabilities of the mic, nor extreme low noise. You haven't even mentioned noise in your "review" which is key feature of this mic. Moving the slider doesn't do really anything in this case. You need to try to clip the mic itself, or record at very low level and see what boosting the signal in the post sounds like.

You should ideally record reverberant source. Something like guitar in a cathedral at distance and low level, and see what happens with reverb tail when you normalize the level.

Ideally you should shoot it out simultaneously against a regular mic recorded at 32bit.
I think you are missing my point here...the NT1-5Gen is a very usable mic with a lot of bang for the buck for less than $300, anyone claiming it is better or something other than what is not clearly has some kind of agenda...where else will you get that kind of tool and all the fixings for that price?

Telefunken? AKG? Neumann?AEA?

If this is all about modding it, then carry on mod away...my point was it is clearly a good mic for the price and packs a lot of features into a relatively inexpensive entrance price...as I stated before your mileage may vary.

I think you are missing my point here...the NT1-5Gen is a very usable mic with a lot of bang for the buck for less than $300, anyone claiming it is better or something other than what is not clearly has some kind of agenda...where else will you get that kind of tool and all the fixings for that price?

Telefunken? AKG? Neumann?AEA?

If this is all about modding it, then carry on mod away...my point was it is clearly a good mic for the price and packs a lot of features into a relatively inexpensive entrance price...as I stated before your mileage may vary.
First of all you are talking abouth NT1-5Gen. This thread is about previous model - NT1. I'm not saying 5Gen is a bad mic, I'm asking what did you test. It's strength compared to the previous model is increased dynamic range, not even mentioned in your post. If you cared to go through this thread, you would have realized that "upgrading" the capsule would be degrading it, because that exact capsule is key to the low noise aspect.

I linked you here given some of what had already been said (by @kingkorg @rogs myself) about the 5th gen. If it's a problem, we could hop back over to your original thread: Rode NT1 5th Gen...32 bit float...

My thoughts there apply to your question!

In regard to UAD Sphere, if you can use any mic with it, you can dig a bit further back in this thread for a flat impulse response for the all-black NT1 (and probably the 5th gen if the frequency response is the same?), that @kingkorg so graciously posted. Apply that to your NT1 with an IR loader before the Sphere plugin and you can take advantage of the Sphere plugin that way much more cheaply, as long as you are not concerned with using the mic models that are not exclusive to the UAD DLX microphone. This is assuming you can use any mic with Sphere..I don't know anything about the plugin to be honest.

I linked you here given some of what had already been said (by @kingkorg @rogs myself) about the 5th gen. If it's a problem, we could hop back over to your original thread: Rode NT1 5th Gen...32 bit float...

My thoughts there apply to your question!

In regard to UAD Sphere, if you can use any mic with it, you can dig a bit further back in this thread for a flat impulse response for the all-black NT1 (and probably the 5th gen if the frequency response is the same?), that @kingkorg so graciously posted. Apply that to your NT1 with an IR loader before the Sphere plugin and you can take advantage of the Sphere plugin that way much more cheaply, as long as you are not concerned with using the mic models that are not exclusive to the UAD DLX microphone. This is assuming you can use any mic with Sphere..I don't know anything about the plugin to be honest.
Yea I actually picked up Voxengo Curve because of his recommendation...(I tried loading the EQ curve in other EQ's its just too much a PITA, the Voxengo has some nice extra features as well, solid purchase!)...

I've built my OPA Alice because of that thread and its quite a solid mic...and used the Townsend plugin in my Apollo...

Latest posts

Back