Rode NT1 Kit (the black one) Mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked on two 19A19s.
One sounded great the other looked like someone had changed parts in it it sounded good but the one that looked untouched was very good.
I think it was the capsule, grill, tube and transformer and how they interacted.

Last edited:
I worked on two 19A19s.
One sounded great the other looked like someone had changed parts in it it sound good but the one that looked untouched was very good.
I think it was the capsule, grill, tube and transformer and how they interacted.
Still had the original tubes? I know theese capsules were a kind of cardioid ck12 clone, but not sure how close

Hi
This post is very interesting... and makes me want to acquire an NT1... but the question is: which version should I choose? if I understood clearly we remove the NT1-A, what remains is the "signature" NT1 and the 5th generation NT1... so which one to choose? (to have the flattest answer)
Furthermore, I acquired 2 Arienne U47-flat capsules for "tinkering": do you think they would be effective in an NT1?
BR
BTW : has anyone got the NT1 original schematic ?

Last edited:
Hi
This post is very interesting... and makes me want to acquire an NT1... but the question is: which version should I choose? if I understood clearly we remove the NT1-A, what remains is the "signature" NT1 and the 5th generation NT1... so which one to choose? (to have the flattest answer)
Furthermore, I acquired 2 Arienne U47-flat capsules for "tinkering": do you think they would be effective in an NT1?
BR
BTW : has anyone got the NT1 original schematic ?
Rode NT1 Signature Series 6th gen sounds sibilant, bright, closer to NT1-a than NT1 kit black 4th gen. But it sounds thinner, more bodyless, it lacks the lows, low-mids of the NT1a.
Although Rode claims to use the same capsule in generations 4,5 and 6, it has a different sound than the NT1 kit black, it has more mid-highs/trebles.
Even on the PCB (see picture) they wrote NT1a and the capsule holder is identical to the NT1a.
In my opinion, stock, NT1 kit black 4th gen sounds best among the last 4 NT1 versions.
However, if you find a used NT2-A, in good condition, at an attractive price, it is a better option.

Attachments

• IMG_20231214_141402_1710756724146.jpg
    IMG_20231214_141402_1710756724146.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231214_141530_1710760207443.jpg
    IMG_20231214_141530_1710760207443.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231214_141601_1710760288936.jpg
    IMG_20231214_141601_1710760288936.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I found 2 NT1 for second-hand : are they the right model ?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-03-18 à 14.38.38.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-03-18 à 14.38.38.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture d’écran 2024-03-18 à 14.39.04.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-03-18 à 14.39.04.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 0
The problem is that the sellers don't even know wich generation is the NT1 they're selling... knowing that this 4th generation can only be found in second-hand (no more build)... So is there a "sign" to identify it (4th) by just the picture ?

this NT1 has a "special" back diaphragm...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-03-18 à 14.55.36.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-03-18 à 14.55.36.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 0
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Rode

"Hospital blue" NT1 - 1st gen (although with several different K67 variations)
Satin nickel NT1-A - 2nd gen
Black NT1 - 3rd gen
Black NT1 USB - 4th gen?
Black NT1 w/ chrome headbasket - ???

Not 10000% sure about much past that.
So wich one we're talking about on this thread that has a (almost) flat response ? no harsh mid-highs...

So wich one we're talking about on this thread that has a (almost) flat response ? no harsh mid-highs...
That one on your image. Not sure if you followed and read the thread properly, all the answers to your questions are here. Also the mic you have doesn't have "special" back diaphragm.

The 'Black one' usually refers to the 4th generation Rode NT1. That's the one in your photo.
That's the version which has is 'flatter' repsonse than it's predecessors, some of which have a significant mid range boost.
The current 5th generation Rode NT1 is the same as the 4th, with the addition of a 32 bit float digital output .... It still has the original analogue XLR output as well.

32 float audio is a game changer... I've only just started playing with it on my Zoom F3 ... but the potential of 32 bit float audio is astonishing!...
( Some tech details HERE )

As the new 5th generation Rode NT1 is cheaper than the previous 4th generation, and with some much enhanced facilites, it's a no brainer when it comes to chosing which NT1 to go for (IMHO, of course! )

Let's make a point please because it's not that easy (when you discover Rode universe) :
1) the 4th generation microphone is no longer manufactured or distributed new
2) so we necessarily buy it second-hand
3) but most sellers don't know which version they are selling...

so, if the microphone is black and it is not marked "signature series" or "5th" then it is the correct version.
Is it ?

Let's make a point please because it's not that easy (when you discover Rode universe) :
1) the 4th generation microphone is no longer manufactured or distributed new
2) so we necessarily buy it second-hand
3) but most sellers don't know which version they are selling...

so, if the microphone is black and it is not marked "signature series" or "5th" then it is the correct version.
Is it ?
I looks as if the 4h generation NT1 is still a current model -- alongside the Signature series and the new 5th generation.. All 3 appear on the same page HERE
I would suggest they probably all use the same capsule HF6) and the same mechnical structures. The multiple coloured Signature series is probably a way of Rode seeking to dispose of surplus 4th generation stock items, now that their flagship NT1 version is the analogue/digital 5th generation model.
As I mentioned before, it seems the new version offers much more - and at a lower price? All a bit strange, in that regard ....

Thank you for your answer rogs but it seems that the majority of sellers here in France no longer have the 4th generation... I found some at Prozic.com for €269
Most of them propose instead the "Signature" one for 180€ !
So the Signature Series is "a good one" with no harsh mid-highs ?

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer rogs but it seems that the majority of sellers here in France no longer have the 4th generation... I found some at Prozic.com for €269
Most of them propose instead the "Signature" one for 180€ !
So the Signature Series is "a good one" with no harsh mid-highs ?
Not tried one myself, but it does use the same capsule as the 4th generation, and the specs are very similar.
I would be very surprised if it isn't just a 4th generation NT1, simply 'wearing different clothes', as it were ! :)

Back