Rode NT1 Kit (the black one) Mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the original 'black' NT1 for a moment ....
I've had mine for about 6 years now, and I've found it a very good mic overall.. and especially useful for doing things like noise floor comparisons.
Recently mine 'seemed?' to be a bit noisier than when it was new.... In theory still under warranty of course, but - like many hobby mic builders - I've had a little dabble inside on occasion, so I'm pretty sure Rode would know I've been in there! :)

It then occured to me that it was probably actually a bit less sensitive, rather than noisier.... Or maybe both?
Anyway, I removed the preamp PCB for futher investigation - it's only one screw, and then it just unclips.

What I did find is that the measured polarisation voltage - measured at the capule connection - was only around 30V. The voltage at the multiplier output was around 63V - much as expected. Checking the input impedance of my DMM again (10M) I deduced that something else was loading the output.
I then measured something like 10M, resistance wise, across the output cap.
So I unsoldered the output cap, and could see what looked like dirt on the PCB underneath. Quick clean up , resoldered and the voltage across the cap measured around 45V -- much as I would expect. Mic returned to original sensitivity.
I can only deduce that the 'dirt' did in fact present a resistive load across the output capacitor - albeit of a very high value. (c.10M)

While I had the PCB out I thought I'd try and fit in a version of my OPIC 1641 preamp into the empty chassis, just to see how it performed. (couple of photos attached). It actually worked quite well.
The noise floor was only about 3dB above the actual NT1 preamp. Unlike the OPA Alice circuit, my version uses a single opamp, as a single sided audio output (passively impedance balanced for the second output ). The noise figure - without the differential audio output - is around 3dB better.

So, yes, it was a bit worse than the original NT1 preamp, noise wise, but still quite usable. Might become necessary if the original preamp develops any more 'funnies' which prove more difficult to locate, as it gets older? ...

Attachments

• NT1 1641 preamp.jpg
    NT1 1641 preamp.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 1
  • NT1 40106 VM2.jpg
    NT1 40106 VM2.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 1
It is always C8 that fails in the NT1!
I hope so! Here in Brazil, there isn't any authorized assistance anymore. I would have to send my mic to Australia!
I was investigating the circuit and accidentally touched this capacitor, and the volume normalized (with noise).
I'll try to replace it and update you guys!

I added some foam under the capsule, and that smoothed high end and upper midrange as expected. I would suggest this mod to just about any mic.

I tried the foam over a dome in a B2 and I,m amazed how acoustic reflections go away, so I wonder if the main acoustic difference between scd and lcd mics are mostly the abscense or presence of an acoustic chamber

I tried the foam over a dome in a B2 and I,m amazed how acoustic reflections go away, so I wonder if the main acoustic difference between scd and lcd mics are mostly the abscense or presence of an acoustic chamber
Absolutely, someone somewhere mentioned using SDC on vocals over LDC is a no brainer and i couldn't agree more. However most SDC are inherently bright, so many reject these right away without some further investigation.
End adress mics have also advantage of rejecting more at 180° due to physical construction, and the fact the whole body is at the back of the capsule.

Some sdc like mxl603 have unfortunate rear chamber construction, and resonances are created there.

And this brought me to the idea behind the Oktava MK102. A nice voice shootout here:

It kind of push the voice right into you, like I would expect from a M7 capsule or so.

So the broadcaster mics will perform similar?

It really sound as if you were in front of the instrument, that have to work super in a mix

And so that was the hype behind Lomo 19a19 mic :eek: ??

I know I'm far from the original topic, but still... I saw this years ago and thought that there must be some cheating in the eq or so

Last edited:
I added some foam under the capsule, and that smoothed high end and upper midrange as expected. I would suggest this mod to just about any mic.

If you go this route make sure the foam doasn't touch connections or the front ring. If the sponge gets damp it will start conducting and start making noise, but will go away when foam dries out. The dip at 7.5 khz is caused by the grille. I you want to get rid if that one you need a different grille.

I found an error on the schematic. 0.047 cap at Q1 is 100pF. And 0.047 across D4 diodes and 1k resistor is 5nF.

s7Y45lX.jpg

The response

vxqqtBr.jpg
Even something so simple like this works!! :) but yes, it starts to be conductive with some breathe on it.

Do you think the original mesh can be reshaped into some kind of a lollipop and/or correcting the lower holes to a nice size? The NT1000/ NT2a headbasket sound way nicer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240122-130259_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240122-130259_Gallery.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 0
Even something so simple like this works!! :) but yes, it starts to be conductive with some breathe on it.

Do you think the original mesh can be reshaped into some kind of a lollipop and/or correcting the lower holes to a nice size? The NT1000/ NT2a headbasket sound way nicer
Yeah, couldn't agree more regarding the nt2a. I'm not good with mechanics. Those Jolly Nt1 headbaskets are great. The ones on nt1 are just glued, so if you manage to create something like Jolly did it would be great! I tried finding existing mics whose grilles fit without success, but i haven't searched hard tho. Reshaping the existing one is not an option i think.

Reshaping the existing one is not an option i think.
😁
You have to be a little crazy to DIY.
I did something ugly, but it sounds much better😁
(It has an almost earsgasmic sound, female vocals love this mic😂)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-01-22-15-49-59-736_com.android.chrome_1705931549509.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-22-15-49-59-736_com.android.chrome_1705931549509.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-01-22-15-50-48-392_com.android.chrome_1705931608683.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-22-15-50-48-392_com.android.chrome_1705931608683.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230829_195852_1705931257141.jpg
    IMG_20230829_195852_1705931257141.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230829_200046_1705931281127.jpg
    IMG_20230829_200046_1705931281127.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Omg, that make me think twice before experiment.
How about the grille of a BM700? Does it have a similar diameter at least?

I finally could try your mod in my NT1000, but I ended up with different values for now: 33nf + 5.3mH (32R) + 460R

Sound way nicer than the stock NT2a
Here's a circuit mod i came up with. I had a 22mH inductor so i worked around that one. This gives the mic flat-ish response. Reminds somewhat of u67 response. Some trace cutting necessary, smd tinkering, so not very DIY friendly.

4vfpsUF.jpg

Here's before and after, and filter response curve on the top.
596X9ha.jpg

I tried in the NT1000, since its the same circuit as the NT1a. The NT2a is a biit different, but should be possible to try there too

Back