Person of the year

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Greta Thunberg has been named Time's person of the year.  I believe I speculated that might happen, but did not bet because I am lousy at predicting future outcomes.

IMO the protestors in Hong Kong deserve more recognition but Time may not want to offend China.

JR

Sometimes things get built up so much they can't be backed away from. Although, admittedly, politicians and the press do possess that skill in common (backing away). She is probably a good role model for VSCO girls?

Well ,
Hitler  made 'Man of the year 1938' 

I just dont see how we can ever hit the carbon targets were supposed to , theres 100,000 extra EU citizens  in Ireland since 2015 and it seems like inward migration is a big part of this governments plan to grow the economy  , 
The carbon taxes will disproportionately hit rural poor people , meanwhile industry can run full steam ahead pollute all it wants and  pay little or nothing in tax . How much the government pollutes on behalf of each one of us here in Ireland is not quite as much per head as in the US ,but its not far off either . My town has gone from 2000 to almost 20,000 in the last 40 years , the issue of raw sewage discharge is worse now than anytime previous despite a new treatment plant , and millions in pipe works ,in a storm rain and sewage mixes and hundreds of thousands of gallons of grey water is discharged just next to a playground and skate/amenity park  , in a bad rain storm Ive actually seen it bubbling up out of the ground , this situation is common in many coastal towns all over the country .
Water infrastructure is out of date ,health system runs at 110% capacity all the time , our own are being medicated out of existance to make way for more efficient carbon units with much lower expectations . 

I did catch a snippet of Greta's speech , the behavioural adjustment reference was a bit spooky , I'd say their fitting her up for a dictatorship role alright ,children should'nt  have to be fighting wars of the worlds , politics is f**ked now anyway big data and how we use the internet/social media  is to blame.

you stole my punchline Pucho  ;D

Tubetec said:
Well ,
Hitler  made 'Man of the year 1938' 

I just dont see how we can ever hit the carbon targets were supposed to , theres 100,000 extra EU citizens  in Ireland since 2015 and it seems like inward migration is a big part of this governments plan to grow the economy  , 
The carbon taxes will disproportionately hit rural poor people , meanwhile industry can run full steam ahead pollute all it wants and  pay little or nothing in tax . How much the government pollutes on behalf of each one of us here in Ireland is not quite as much per head as in the US ,but its not far off either . My town has gone from 2000 to almost 20,000 in the last 40 years , the issue of raw sewage discharge is worse now than anytime previous despite a new treatment plant , and millions in pipe works ,in a storm rain and sewage mixes and hundreds of thousands of gallons of grey water is discharged just next to a playground and skate/amenity park  , in a bad rain storm Ive actually seen it bubbling up out of the ground , this situation is common in many coastal towns all over the country .
Water infrastructure is out of date ,health system runs at 110% capacity all the time , our own are being medicated out of existance to make way for more efficient carbon units with much lower expectations . 

I did catch a snippet of Greta's speech , the behavioural adjustment reference was a bit spooky , I'd say their fitting her up for a dictatorship role alright ,children should'nt  have to be fighting wars of the worlds , politics is f**ked now anyway big data and how we use the internet/social media  is to blame.

you stole my punchline Pucho  ;D
Not sure how we got over to GW related stuff, but that was interesting Tubetec!

Bets on this young person receiving a 'nobel prize' ? 

Based on some the past awards, I would say it's a fair bet.

living sounds said:
Just because something does not seem relevant to one's own age group doesn't mean it is not relevant...
If you’re referring to my comment, perhaps I misunderstood but it seemed a complete non sequitur.  Of course anyone can anything they like.

Phrazemaster said:
If you’re referring to my comment, perhaps I misunderstood but it seemed a complete non sequitur.  Of course anyone can anything they like.

A sentiment was expressed that it must have been a slow year so Greta Thunberg got the award. It's not been a slow year for the movement that is behind her. She does articulate an existential thread identified by scientists. I could go on, but we've been through this already.

I still think the Hong Kong protestors are more deserving of recognition than sail boat girl, but another even larger group that seems to be all but ignored by western media is the protesters against the Iranian theocracy. Reports range from 200 killed to 1,000 or more. The reality is somewhere between those numbers. Even the lower number makes China look easygoing by comparison.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I still think the Hong Kong protestors are more deserving of recognition than sail boat girl, but another even larger group that seems to be all but ignored by western media is the protesters against the Iranian theocracy. Reports range from 200 killed to 1,000 or more. The reality is somewhere between those numbers. Even the lower number makes China look easygoing by comparison.

Are you referring to "Invited to address world leaders girl" but maybe mistyped?  ;)

I find it ironic that Walter Isaacson was the death-nell for Time but his biographies are refreshing mostly, most-mostly apolitical reads.  I connected with a talented author with Jobs, so I read Franklin and was equally rewarded.  Einstein is next.

Wishing a happy and healthy New Year to all here in this forum!

Mike

I'm certainly not denying were facing some very stark choices to keep the planet and ourselves healthy into the future.

Theres a community based initiative here that paints up public utillity boxes with portraits of important people , its a nice idea and brightens the place up a bit while raising awareness . Ms Thunberg got the honour of having her image painted on one here , normally these public art works are respected and not daubed or scrawled with grafitti , however within days of MsThunberg image appearing it has been defaced .  I just think she did herself a major disservice by confusing who or what ever it was 'took her childhood away' and her mission on climate change ,there obviously not linked . Going back to the previous point about her wanting politicians lined up against a wall , the implication I draw from that is death by firing squad.  Of course her handlers were quick to have her rescind that comment in case she was accused of incitement.

Tubetec said:
Going back to the previous point about her wanting politicians lined up against a wall , the implication I draw from that is death by firing squad.  Of course her handlers were quick to have her rescind that comment in case she was accused of incitement.

People seem awfully quick to believe that someone who has otherwise been entirely about nonviolent protesting and leading by example would just randomly decide to recommend lining up world leaders for the firing squad, which is nothing like anything else she's ever said.

Occam's Razor should tell people that she probably meant exactly what she and other people who speak the same first language as her said, which is that she mixed up the idiom in a foreign language, which is "back them into a corner."

I mean, you barely even have to speculate that it's what she meant or know the Swedish idiom she literally translated. Here's the quote:

"We will make sure they, that we put them against the wall, and that they will have to do their job and to protect our futures"

Most people don't say that they're going to kill people and then expect those same people they just killed to do any sort of job.

EDIT: Christ, the article about this linked above even has the actual idiom in it: '“att ställa någon mot väggen” (to put someone against the wall) means to hold someone accountable.'

Christ, the article about this linked above even has the actual idiom in it: '“att ställa någon mot väggen” (to put someone against the wall) means to hold someone accountable.'

Yes I assumed it was a translation problem.  Its just an opportunity to support your narrative which both sides seem to use every chance they get.  The news of today is whatever drives profit first, narrative second, and content is maybe third.  Lots of drama going around these subjects.

Perhaps we should add street protestors in Iran to the list of people putting their own lives at risk to speak truth to power.

Iran routinely kills or imprisons such protestors, so this is not a tea party.. Hopefully they will win support from western leaders.

JR

Latest posts

Back