fazer

Re: Shaker Desk - A/B Path Vinyl Mastering Console
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 04:10:44 PM »
Congrats on 12 years of work.  Very impressive .    The wiring and stacked switches and 4 stereo paths for preview and program.  Daunting amount of work Paul.

Gold

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 04:58:25 PM »

Excited to see your use of din rail gear too... I never seen it before in diy audio and always wondered...why not?

I'm glad I found the terminal block connectors. Both the DIN rail style and the PCB mounted style. The original plan was to make everything a solder connection. 99% of the time when something breaks it's a connector or connection failure. The terminal blocks when used with ferrules make an excellent connection. It seems to me it would be an oxygen free connection like a crimp. Once the screws are tightened down they don't come loose. I'm not even using thread lock.

The patch bays were made before I discovered the terminal blocks and had enough experience with them to trust them. I made turret boards for solder connections. If I was to do them over I'd use DIN rail terminal blocks. The faceplates were the first ones I tried my hand at. They suck and are mostly unreadable. I'd like to redo that but it's a big job and some things will just have to be as they are.

L´Andratté

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 05:42:31 PM »
Thanks for posting!
Amazing desk!

Apart from the thought and work that has been put into this on engineering level
the sheer aesthetics of it catch the eye. I am of the opinion diy can look better than
only copying industrial commercial product look. This is proof of it. This is unique.

The question that had to be asked: why "shaker"-desk?
"Why not get an assistant to work the faders? Real vintage! And maybe cheaper... ;)"

Gold

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 06:11:12 PM »
The question that had to be asked: why "shaker"-desk?

It has a double meaning. My business is called Salt Mastering so salt shaker is what comes to mind first for most. The other meaning refers  to a religious group called the Shakers. They were at their height in the late 19th century in Upstate New York and New England. They are most famous for their furniture. It has a modernist aesthetic. Form follows function. It's very austere with no adornment. The design objects of the Shakers are of the stature collected by museums. The Museum of Modern Art in NY has a lot of it.

I thought it was appropriate. My thought process and analysis in designing this was that there should be the necessary  number of controls. Not one more and not one less.

Gold

Re: Shaker Desk - A/B Path Vinyl Mastering Console New
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 12:08:25 AM »
The wiring and stacked switches and 4 stereo paths for preview and program.

The Shallco  attenuators were made by Shallco.  I couldn’t have figured out an H pad with a 10K input impedance and 5K output impedance.  Thirty position 1.5dB per step.  They said it’s the only one they’ve ever made like that.

As it happens one of the bridged   T attenuators had an error.  Luckily I didn’t get to that attenuator until a year or so ago when I knew enough to be able to fix it. If I had gotten it early in the game I would have been stumped.

Hillary Johnson did the patch bay wiring. That was something I could draw out so I could farm it out.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:39:14 PM by Gold »

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 02:52:18 PM »
Wow! This is amazing! Good luck completing it and thanks for posting!