Transfer Console build

Help Support GroupDIY:

morls

I’ve been putting together some boards from ka-electronics to assemble a mastering transfer console. It’s taking shape now so I thought I’d post a pic or two as things come together.

Planned signal path is:
Stereo in - gain - HP filter - MS Encoder (bypass-able) - 4 stereo inserts with flip between 1+2/3+4 - width control and tilt EQ - MS Decoder - 4 stereo inserts with flip - main out to ADC, monitor out with source selector 1) main out; 2) post preamp/pre ADC; or 3) DAW out

I’m still working on layout and wiring, but here’s where I’m up to…

Stephen
EEFBA3C1-93DF-4F28-958B-310399275D6A.jpeg

morls

Thanks for the link, I'll check these out. I haven't used DIN blocks before, but I really like them

morls

I'm having second thoughts about the output and monitoring section, and any advice would be very welcome. Here's my current plan:

IMG_3045.jpg

The idea is to take a mult from the output of the insert chain, one direct to ADC (main out) and one for monitoring. The monitoring path is to a switching board, giving me 3 options for monitoring: main out and 2 other sources via XLR input (most likely post-preamp/pre-ADC and post-DAW).

The main out and monitor out are then fed into a balanced output stage with 2 parallel paths, one to ADC and one to a Goldpoint stereo stepped attenuator and then monitors. The inputs to this stage are THAT 1246 ICs, bridged straight to the outputs, THAT 1646 ICs. My original thinking was that I'd need to drive the output from the console, and that this would be a very clean option.

I'm now wondering if this balanced output stage is necessary? If I omit the output stage, the last item in the insert chain will be driving both the ADC and the attenuator/monitors.

Another option is to feed the ADC straight from the insert chain, and use the output stage for monitoring only.

Unit-8

Wayne is a great person and really competent, thanks to his boards and his precious advice I made my MTC.
This is what I got.

Attachments

• D34E58E2-F976-4B6D-9B35-022A917875C6.jpeg
    D34E58E2-F976-4B6D-9B35-022A917875C6.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 55
  • F4A26267-3F9E-4370-B32C-482B4D0A4E8E.jpeg
    F4A26267-3F9E-4370-B32C-482B4D0A4E8E.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DB96B8B0-A9CD-489C-A97F-9EF221BF946E.jpeg
    DB96B8B0-A9CD-489C-A97F-9EF221BF946E.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 49
  • 1F2EA34B-3988-45A1-94A1-817A55F491D0.jpeg
    1F2EA34B-3988-45A1-94A1-817A55F491D0.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 53

Gold

I'm having second thoughts about the output and monitoring section, and any advice would be very welcome. Here's my current plan:

View attachment 88689
I'm now wondering if this balanced output stage is necessary? If I omit the output stage, the last item in the insert chain will be driving both the ADC and the attenuator/monitors.

Another option is to feed the ADC straight from the insert chain, and use the output stage for monitoring only.

Either way seems fine to me. I would lean towards the dedicated amplifier if the insert chain is likely to change. I’d want the same amplifier feeding the ADC and monitor in all cases. If the order of the insert chain is fixed I’d skip the extra amplifier.

morls

Wayne is a great person and really competent, thanks to his boards and his precious advice I made my MTC.
This is what I got.
Wow, that looks great! It's always good to see other layouts. Your case and layout of controls looks good, I'm still figuring out my own layout. I doubt my wiring will be as neat as yours!

Wayne has been a huge help to me as well, I thought I'd post here so I don't take up too much of his time with general questions...

What switches did you use for the tilt eq and width?

Either way seems fine to me. I would lean towards the dedicated amplifier if the insert chain is likely to change. I’d want the same amplifier feeding the ADC and monitor in all cases. If the order of the insert chain is fixed I’d skip the extra amplifier.
Thanks. The insert chain will be flexible so I might keep the output amplifier.

Last edited:

morls

Thanks. I was thinking of a stereo goldpoint for the main attenuator, but USPS charge $70 USD shipping, which is over $100AUD!
The elmas look very good too, so no dramas

Unit-8

The Goldpoint DACTs are derived from the Elma, if you look closely they are identical. The only difference is the PCBs soldered on them made by Goldpoint. If, on the other hand, by "main attenuators" you mean the 2 switches that control the input gain, they are 24 positions, 1 deck, 1 pole. You don't need 2 deck ones, unless you want to use a single knob for both channels. However, it is better to have separate controls if there are level differences between the two input channels. The choice is yours, of course.

morls

Sorry, wasn’t clear there. Yes, I’m using single channel gain controls for the inputs. The stereo attenuator is for my monitoring output.