3D Printing Mic Bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember seeing somewhere that someone had indeed printed a headbasket. I wish I could remember where. My only fear might be that it is too fragile since real metal doesn't even withstand the force of many drops.

Are you talking conductive plastic?

Have any of you creative marvels attempted 3d printing of mic bodies?

Not yet, but on my list for this year.
My plan is to use plastic for the mechanical support and desired shape, then line with copper foil to provide the conductive shielding. Lots of small details to work out (e.g. you could not realistically solder any connectors to the tape in place without melting the plastic, cannot tap into plastic so need backing nuts or metal inserts, etc.).
Really just a way to get around not having decently precise machine tools for me, would not be my first choice if I had easy access to a lathe and a mill.

There is conductive filament used for 3d printing. It obviously has a higher resistance than wire, but is still conductive enough to be called conductive. Mostly, I was interested in this crazy idea of printing up some mic body shells, perhaps in wild colors or doing something like adding patterns or designs just for laughs. I'd just do a body for a mic I already have a headbasket for.

Theres plenty of good quality mic bodies out there as it is , either using a donor off the shelf mic or separate part .
Plastic isnt going to be much good for a tube mic and most likely the internal structures will sag and start to melt .
I cant think of a single good reason Id choose plastic over metal .

Theres plenty of good quality mic bodies out there as it is , either using a donor off the shelf mic or separate part .
Plastic isnt going to be much good for a tube mic and most likely the internal structures will sag and start to melt .
I cant think of a single good reason Id choose plastic over metal .
Well, there are very heat-resistant plastics; whether they are 3D printable or not, I don't know.

There are situations where a mic that weighs less is an advantage.

It’s not 3D printed per-se, but the “metal foam” approach to headbaskets that Josephson uses on his C715 and C716 mics is genius. Here’s the patent. He uses ERG “Duocell” foam.

I’m imagine something similar could be 3D printed (for personal use of course, since he patented the idea).

Very open headbasket on the 414 ,
Some like to use it on snare , but flying wood debris can make through and contaminate the capsule .

That didn't stop the designers of the ELA M251 using plastic for the frame of the mic, unfortunately. (Unfortunate because it proved to be weak and brittle).

That didn't stop the designers of the ELA M251 using plastic for the frame of the mic, unfortunately. (Unfortunate because it proved to be weak and brittle).
As eventually happens to the majority of plastics - the plasticisers slowly evaporate.

Well ,
Im not saying using a condenser mic on a snare is out of the question either , say a drummer is using brushes , a 414 might work sweet.
Have no hard and fast rules in sound recording , improvise ,adapt and overcome .

IMG_9108.jpg
Initial prototype works great. Drew up a body in Tinkercad. Took a couple of attempts before getting it right. Lined the inside with copper shielding tape and there's no RF interference. Might be able to use conductive filament to tame the RF, too.

This shell is just a platform for whatever I want to add to it. Maybe Han Solo in Carbonite sticking out of the front or some shiz like that. Or maybe print one up in this type of filament that has wood in it and can be sanded and stained.

Hi Wordsushi!
Does your prototype still have that unwanted resonance at low frequencies (100Hz+) ?
Unfortunately, I think that resonance is caused by the interaction between the headbasket and frame/capsule deck on this particular body. I haven't really noticed it for my use, but as this project evolves, I'll take a closer look.

Back