a new cannucklehead

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannyGremlin

Hi,

Just joined but been reading the forums sporadically for years.

I build guitar pedals, occasionally an amp. Started out with speaker building when I was a kid because I couldn't afford anything decent. I love transmission lines in particular.

I play in bands and record so I end up building recording gear and fixing /maintaining it. I have a quaint studio down the waterfront, that doesn't get as much use as I'd like.

Nowadays people bring me stuff to fix. Usually friends or bandmates guitar related stuff, but sometimes other things or randos. Sometimes people commision custom builds from me. Most recently a couple of pedalboard patchbays and a Klone.

Occasionally I build or repair hifi things. Mostly because stuff keeps breaking (it's old), and local shops take too long and don't always resolve the issue to my satisfaction.

Anyway, I've come across this place in almost every search for a schematic / weird gear issue I have made in the last decade; figured it was about time I joined (and this way I can actually see the attachments - get those schems ;P). I was reminded as I picked up the iron for the first time in a while to repair one of my beloved Ampex PR-10 (354) mic preamps that's been inconsistantly reliable for the last few years and realised the schem I had was not the right one.... and it seems that this unit may be a weirdo anyway - 6BK7s for the output stages (vs 6DJ8s) and no input accessory sockets (I had modded it with switchable Beyer peanut mic input transformers years ago).

From the Great White North; about as hairy as Wolverine but , and I guess it's a low bar, a bit taller.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back