[ACMP investiupgradifications] All things PREAMP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crazydoc said:
Paul G said:
FYI, I heard from Steve.  He's ordering more transformers and hopes to be finished with the R&D by months end.

Paul ;D
I assume no month or year was specified.
Well, the month and year was assumed but that may have been a mistake on my part.    :-[

Things are not going any better over at PSW.  My two 81s were in the very first batch sent to the TNC "Repair Station" for repair under warranty.  That was at the end of April.  Seven months later and I still don't have them back.  Every single inquiry gets a response along the lines of "in a couple weeks" or "soon" or "almost" etc.  The only people in-the-know have thusfar been unwiling to give any other information.... hmmmmm.....

There is enough info in this thread to fix & make them work
BUT
Should you or i have to do it ?
only if you want to make it work

Some of steve's stuff  , when it finnally comes out
seems to go beyond just making it work ,
this is after all a chinese product for 200.00

thanks again to terry & chance for all the hard work & support
what kinda Karma is that chance ?

Actually if you go through the thread there are a few names
that stand out for positive contibutions , thank you
[ although many who are smart enough to help , didn't bother ]

You're right.  None of us should have to fix them ourselves, which is why there is a warranty fix... even if it's currently in name only as it still hasn't actually happened yet.

I'm grateful to everyone on this forum that has provided info on how to DIY fix them on our own.  Unfortunately for me, I have nowhere near the skills necessary to do.  And as you mentioned, I shouldn't have to.  Regardless, it would be impossible because my 81s haven't been in my possesion for 7 months now. 

I made a post earlier today on PSW specifically asking Oliver what he's discovered with the preamps as he's the one fixing them.  He obviously is more than capable in the knowledge department.  I don't know if he will actually respond in any depth - as such types of response have thusfar been illusive.  But should he actually respond with meaningful input, I would imagine it would be useful information for everyone here that plans to DIY fix them on their own.

TO ALL THE FOLKS WHO REPLACED THE STOCK TRANSFORMERS ON THESE.
I NEED SOME OF THOSE STOCK TRANSFORMERS PLEASE PM ME OR E-MAIL ME.
THANKS

What's it going to cost me to send it down ?
there's no more mystery to the problems
more likely economics of how to fix as cheap as possible
there always was a lot of cloudy info from the start
If i don't feel good about it , I'm going to use them with other people ?
, I think not

crazydoc said:
Paul G said:
FYI, I heard from Steve.  He's ordering more transformers and hopes to be finished with the R&D by months end.

Paul ;D
  its been quite some time. anyone herd anything from steve???.  i think a year and a half is a little longer than i expected. :-\ :-\ :-\ 

stringofpoloponies said:
crazydoc said:
Paul G said:
FYI, I heard from Steve.  He's ordering more transformers and hopes to be finished with the R&D by months end.

Paul ;D
  its been quite some time. anyone herd anything from steve???.  i think a year and a half is a little longer than i expected. :-\ :-\ :-\  
I got this email response from Steve today:

I am working on them this week.  I want them out of here in 2010.
Thanks for your patience.

Steve

;D

dustbro said:
Paul G said:
I want them out of here in 2010.
How's he gonna fix all of those preamps with only 8 days left in the year?? Good luck with that.
His fixes are independent of TNC.  He's not warranty.  I don't know how many actual units he has at his shop though.  The kit is what I'm waiting for.

;D

b3groover said:
Stupid question:  What is this "kit" you're talking about?
Parts (new power transformer, diodes, caps, resistors, etc.) and instructions to do his recommended mods yourself, to obviate having to send your preamp to him and paying associated labor and shipping costs (not to mention possibly never seeing it again.  :'( )

I'd be surprised to see a kit.

I get the feeling that this has been a loser for him and he would like nothing more than to finish the work he's been paid for and try to forget that these things even exist.

It's certainly decimated his reputation around a certain internet forum.

No one asked him to go overboard ,
he did that on his own
but hopefully the problems will get fixed
and people will have more useful gear
to record with , and the world will be a better place
there are smart people who didn't want to help at all
so at least Steve took up the challenge , if not
revealing how much work they really needed

I'd be surprised to see a kit.

I get the feeling that this has been a loser for him and he would like nothing more than to finish the work he's been paid for and try to forget that these things even exist.

It's certainly decimated his reputation around a certain internet forum.

I think there is something deeper going on. I paid him for two kits a year and half ago. All he has to do is drop a few parts in a Priority Mail box and put a $5 stamp on it. He simply will not do it. So I find it incredibly hard to believe that he actually wants to.

Last I heard from him which I think was back in October the newest story is that the transformer manufacturer was holding up the show but it should be very soon.....

TB

Back