Adding de emphasis to tube mic circuits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cap on the plate to ground is not quite the same circuit action as is employed in the U87:  the U87 is done through negative feedback, not simply filtering certain frequencies to ground.

U87 injects an out-of-phase sampling of the output back through the polarization network.  The feedback increases as frequency increases, which means the closed loop gain has a pole in the response and gain is reduced at about the same point that response is rising through the capsule.

I don't see why a similar technique can't be done with a tube circuit:  you could tap from the plate (which will be opposite in polarity to the incoming signal), and then figure out a way of coupling that signal back into the polarization string.

Matador explains the principle better than I ever could.

I will add that the U87 of course is or was meant to be a fet version of the U67, so it's similar in many ways.
(Not counting the short lived U77.)

Matador said:
A cap on the plate to ground is not quite the same circuit action as is employed in the U87:  the U87 is done through negative feedback, not simply filtering certain frequencies to ground.

Of course is not the same, but plate to ground cap have it's own properties ;)
I really like use it in some designs, even with a small amount of hf damping -  it add  some "vintage" (i really don't like this word :) )
mojo. Probably by some phase swift.

Matador said:
I don't see why a similar technique can't be done with a tube circuit:  you could tap from the plate (which will be opposite in polarity to the incoming signal), and then figure out a way of coupling that signal back into the polarization string.

It's possible but is it needed?
Of course all is matter of taste :)

Thanks for great explanations!

ln76d said:
gary o said:
What I mean by SN ratio is mic has higher output than with de emph I engaged so you dont have to have your mic pre/ compressor whatever is in your chain up as high, if Im misunderstood then Im sorry , Im here to learn & do DIY  ;)

As most of us, that's why debate like this is usefull for everyone i think.
I hope, that you don't think it is about who have the right ;)

But, about the deemphasis, did you mean whole feedback or capacitor only?

Up to now I had switch to disconnect C7 from the FETs drain I thought this was turning off the de emphasis the audio result is disconnecting C7 the output level of the mic goes up & there are more highs in the SSSSS region  .... with the de emph engaged it acts like a de esser brilliantly, way better than the plate to ground thing in some tube mic & thats why Im asking can we do this style de emph in a tube mic so we can use capsules with the bump.

Thanks Matador for your input brilliant as ever explanation of what going on in the circuit  :)

Sadly I dont understand electronics as well as most here thats why I experiment & ask lots of questions ??? so here are some more questions Im afraid.

Is my disconnecting of C7 from the drain turning off the de emph fully ?

Are the de emphasis  components these..... C5 C6 R8 R9/10. Is C3 part of the de emphasis circuit?

My reason for this thread was to ask if I can make a circuit from these components similar values & add to a tube mic

If we wanted NO de emphasis in the circuit say we like our capsules flat sound we could lose more components right ? BUT we would need to change circuit a little for it to work ? I guess would be like the KM84 circuit.

gary o said:
with the de emph engaged it acts like a de esser brilliantly, way better than the plate to ground thing in some tube mic

All depends how you make it, what capacitor type, what value etc.  :)

gary o said:
Is my disconnecting of C7 from the drain turning off the de emph fully ?

Meaning as the filter - YES, but still you have whole feedback network, which also affects low frequency response.
There's no better self noise or higher output -  in overall meaning are the same. Only you aare not attenuating high frequency - that's it.

gary o said:
Is C3 part of the de emphasis circuit?

No

gary o said:
My reason for this thread was to ask if I can make a circuit from these components similar values & add to a tube mic

Make simulation.

gary o said:
If we wanted NO de emphasis in the circuit say we like our capsules flat sound we could lose more components right ? BUT we would need to change circuit a little for it to work ? I guess would be like the KM84 circuit.

KM84 isn't flat circuit, there's C2 - 4pF capacitor which is also feedback path.

Schematic - marked all components in feedback path

Attachments

• U87-schematic.png
    U87-schematic.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 64
A discussion / explanation of the KM84 circuit (scroll down a bit) - http://audioimprov.com/AudioImprov/Mics/Entries/2015/4/23_Basic_FET_Microphone_Circuits.html

Measurements of the "charge amplifier" circuit - http://audioimprov.com/AudioImprov/Mics/Entries/2015/12/20_Modding_a_BM-800_Mic.html (you'll notice it IS virtually flat :) so there's no real tone-shaping going on in the electronics of the KM84)

Glad, did you use word "virtualy". Show me the results of KM84 measurements with large diaphragm capsule -  with cap and without - not audioimprov mambo-jumbo-combo circuit ;)

Gary

Here's "flat" circuit for cardioid use - simplified, without pad and hpf - for cardioid only. Higher input impedance and no input cap.
Unfortunately senisitivity will be lower, because there's no feedback. Even with feedback sensitivity in U87 is low.

Attachments

• U87- flat.png
    U87- flat.png
    57 KB · Views: 44
So you're saying that a Schoeps output stage, or the plain transformer output, have (such) drastic effects on the frequency response? :)

For what it's worth: http://taperssection.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=12d2bbabd0b95ed9e35f41cd516a192b&topic=168837.msg2098976#msg2098976

And a couple posts blow that: http://taperssection.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=12d2bbabd0b95ed9e35f41cd516a192b&topic=168837.msg2106182#msg2106182

ln76d said:
Glad, did you use word "virtualy". Show me the results of KM84 measurements with large diaphragm capsule -  with cap and without - not audioimprov mambo-jumbo-combo circuit ;)

One blah... blah... vs. other blah... blah...

Did you ever tried this?

One thing!
I truly like Dave Thomas, because his really nice Guy and he have rally good knowledge but sometimes, yes - he post some  statements which are not so real.

Anyway, try, measure and we can talk ;)

For the U87, C6 (220pF) sets the frequency/magnitude of the de-emphasis.

Check this post:  http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51761.msg657996#msg657996

Thanks for schematics by the way

Im still trying to understand the parts of the 87 circuit & what they do, I have de constructed my point to point verison of the U87 circuit and listened to the results

I have few more questions if anyone would care to answer...

What is the role of C3 .....

In cardiod mode are C1 C3 R3 R5 doing anything

Doesnt  C9 play a part in de emphasis..

Big thanks.

gary o said:

I forget about C9 :)
Without deemphasis/feedback, you can remove it.
Now schematic is correct.

C1/C3/R2 are part of HPF.

R3/R5 does nothing in cardioid.

ln76d said:
gary o said:

I forget about C9 :)
Without deemphasis/feedback, you can remove it.
Now schematic is correct.

C1/C3/R2 are part of HPF.

R3/R5 does nothing in cardioid.

This is helpful , im getting there  C 1 & C3  still in circuit when HPF not engaged tho ...

Big thanks  :)

Back