AES Meeting in San Francisco

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinc

If any of you are planning on attending, stop by the Lundahl Transformers booth and introduce yourselves. I will be there much of the time helping out.

[quote author="kevinc"]If any of you are planning on attending, stop by the Lundahl Transformers booth and introduce yourselves. I will be there much of the time helping out.[/quote]

You could raffle off some transformers to increase traffic. :thumb:

Cool!
Did Per sport down for any Booth Bimbos?
I will try to make it. Don't know about getting a pass or tickets.
Guess I will get on the site and find out.

Hey, UA is gonna be there! Should I show em my new T4 design?
We gotta sneak Hinson in for that seminar!
:razz:
DYNAMIC RANGE COMPRESSION
Presenters: David Berners and Jonathan Abel, Universal
Audio & CCRMA Stanford University, CA, USA
This tutorial section covers automatic gain control (AGC), with
applications including dynamic range compressors, limiters,
gates, and companders. Topics include signal level detection
techniques, gain control topologies, and DSP modeling techniques.
Parameters such as attack, release, and ratio will be discussed
in relation to perceptual color and application. Properties
of various technologies including opto-, FET-, and VCA- based
compression will be covered, also in relation to desired behavior
for various applications. Program dependence, lookahead, and
sidechaining will also be discussed. Time permitting, the tutorial
will cover de-essing, multichannel compression, and multiband
compression.

> This tutorial section covers automatic gain control

I can't be in SF that day. If someone could bootleg the preprint (if any), I'd be real interested.

err, Barcelona Spain next year.
pretty impressive list this year:
http://www.aes.org/events/117/exhibitors.cfm
I will be spending most of my time at Booth 601!
:razz:

That's the spring convention. The fall convention is in NYC, as it is every other year:
http://www.aes.org/events/119/

I only go to the NY convention as I don't have the dough/free time to make it to the others.

Dave,

Count on me being there. Count also on beginning some serious research into beer quality on the area. I'll need some orientation in terms of finding decent Guinness... fancy joining me?

Also, you can direct me to Mrs. Stahls or wherever else you think I need to visit...

Next year in NY will be awesome... I'm skipping this year owing to family duties etc...

Keith

bloo will be in a booth next to UA next year

:green:

complete with a hookah smoking tent and belly dancers!

A couple hours ago I was standing next to Rupert Neve. Ah, well, he brushed my shoulder as he walked by. OK, almost brushed my shoulder. OK, could have brushed my shoulder. Jesting aside, many luminaries bumping shoulders around here; tonight there was an open seminar with Al Schmidt on vocal micing at Hyde Street studios, I almost went, did anyone go? Many familiar faces here and old acquaintances too. A few things caught my eye on my first day.

Microphone Alley. Aisle 600 or so seems full of 20 microphone manufactures. Dave Royer, with a case of a zillion variants on the original model. Wes Dooley at AEA with some gorgeous 44 copies and the R84 and a new stereo version, drool. ADK, SE, Marshall, Groove Tubes, Josephson, a dozen others and across the hall Telefunken North America and almost everyone has them hooked up to listen with headphones. Plus many new companies you haven't heard of with great looking mics. I think this is the age of the microphone explosion. The ambient noise is loud in the hall, so declined listening so far, and I had to chuckle as I heard guys exclaim, "that sounds great, what a difference" listening on the floor to speakers, headphones, mics, etc.

Adam monitors. However, up on the mezzanine in a small room near Genelec is a demo of the Adam speakers with film tweeters. Stunning. AdrianH, I understand you now!

Genelec and Soundfield and Steinberg have an ongoing surround sound demo. I saw one a few years ago by Genelec and thought it sounded terrible. This one sounds good. The Soundfield mics are impressive. My first contact with them. From one mic you can get mono, stereo, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1. I still don't care for Genelecs though.

Apple had a great demo of Logic Pro 7. Or is it Pro Logic 7? Amazing the displays Apple has now. G5 is ripping fast. And the plug-in called Sculpture is a new type of synthesis instrument based on string vibration and it is jaw-dropping in its sound(s). Logic is amazing now.

Met Per Lundahl, and of course gave Kevin a hard time, and the lovely Swedish help. Nice folks!

John LeGrau was elequent in the short part of his seminar on designing preamps that I caught. He said he has a new project in the works, an A to D, and explained how far we still have to go. He mentioned that the best conversion in his research requires latency, and reducing latency reduces quality. Sounded like there is still vast rooms for improving A to D out there. Very eloquent speaker.

Tape Op guys are friendly.
Everyone seems to be having a very good time. Everyone's got a story to tell which would fill pages here.
CJ, when are you coming up?
More if I get a chance.
cheers,
t

PS: I should add that Kevin and I talked to the Tape Op guys about expanding DIY in the magazine and in their conference. It is in the works and more to come. They hope to have solder stations and hands on seminars at the next conference.

Latest posts

Back