AKG CK61 capsule mesh issue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LevinGuitar

I have a CK61 with unglued mesh and sometimes it makes hum, any idea how to open it to repair? I can move it to the right position from the outside, but without internal fix it make hum sometimes.

It seems simple but after unsrewing the small golden ring I can’t go further. I can move the plastic ring a bit but nothing more :(

Attachments

• IMG_20211004_150555.jpg
    IMG_20211004_150555.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20211004_152218.jpg
    IMG_20211004_152218.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
AKG had some pdf service docs for those mics, I’ve see it somewhere in the past. Probably you can find the service doc in google and it shows how the capsule is disassembled

Thanks! Sad the CK61 is not exactly the same as CK1 and do not have the screw on the side. The plastic ring seems to need some tool and maybe a combined movement to remove it. It turns 1/4 but don't come out when pull it out in any position

I have a CK61 with unglued mesh and sometimes it makes hum, any idea how to open it to repair? I can move it to the right position from the outside, but without internal fix it make hum sometimes.

It seems simple but after unsrewing the small golden ring I can’t go further. I can move the plastic ring a bit but nothing more :(

In that service document, it would appear that white plastic has a ridge that retains it in a groove milled into the outside shell. Given those two slots along the length of that plastic bushing, i would try squeezing the two "halves" together and pulling it out. Or if it's feasible without damage, try to lever it out by the "lip" at its end.

I'm gonna offer a different suggestion. If the mesh is just pushed up, why not try gently pulling the displaced mesh into place with tweezers?

It's easy to pull the mesh down, I just showed the issue in the pic, but it moves freely with more than a gently holding so it's not a permanent solution. I could glue it from the outside but its worth a better fix.

Khron, I guess I get you (you are on the limits of my english knowledge) and I saw what you tell, but still not sure what is the right way to do it. It should be relatively easy, for it's a serviceable part. And the plastic ring have two L shape holes (I guess for the tool to remove it), I tried a diy tool with that shape but did not work.

Attachments

• IMG_20221203_011624.jpg
    IMG_20221203_011624.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221203_012004.jpg
    IMG_20221203_012004.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here's another piece of the puzzle: there are two different versions of the capsule. The schematic diagram is of the older version, I think, while the capsule you have is the newer one. I'll attach a picture of the two side by side.

I have an older one which works just fine, but has something rattling around loose inside (I suspect it's part# 6, the damper). So I'm also trying to figure out how to get in there, and I'm also having no luck so far.
M

Attachments

• IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Two observations:
-The posted diagram correspond to the right capsule on the pic above.
-The two L shape holes must be indeed to insert the removal tool. Maybe the big leg of the L allows to turn the part, maybe to the point it "unlocks" then the small leg of the L allows to pull the part up...

Axel

I have unscrewed the golden ring the first of all but this not helped me with the plastic ring. I tried to unscrew the plastic ring and pull out in different positions with an improvised tool for that L holes but had no sucess. The plastic ring turns few mm but nothing more

If lowering the mesh the noise goes away, I would just do this and put a few drops of loctite to hold it down.
That piece of plastic seems to fit under pressure and in the SAT you will surely have to break it and put a new one on it.

Hello i also have the white plastic ended capsule.
I had a non working one so i just went on with it.

Basically the lip/ridge does not go all around the capsule, it's divided in 1/4 sections, lip, no lip, lip, no lip.
So you need to build a special tool that goes into the "L" slots, turn it 1/4 and then gently pull/turn to get it out.

You also need to unscrew the center pin first.
But i would not recomend this for a working capsule because the risks are too high, the membrane could be rubbing against the metal ring when you turn, and if dirt has gone in there and locked things in place, chances are things will rip. Also it's easy to damage the L slots with the DIY tool.

Last edited:
Thank you! Didn't know that the dissasembly could damage the membrane anyhow. So guess will try to glue or fix it from the outside.

Back