New CK12 capsule measurements

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Hello! The wait is over.

Before i continue, please refrain from non related, political issues, personal attacks which led this thread to be locked.

The two capsules from Alex, @RuudNL provided contact to, have arrived. I tested just one of them, i dont expect the other one to be any different. UPDATE: THE OTHER ONE IS EXACTLY THE SAME.

I have no horse in this race, but i have hoped we get cheaper, and easily obtainable CK12 for our DIY projects.

This thing has nothing to do with real CK12. Not @Tim Campbell 's, not anyone else's, and most certainly not Akg's.

Yes there are many faces of CK12, and it can be tuned in so many ways, but this is not one of them. I believe the issue is, Alex's company doesn't have the blueprints on how to tune the capsule, or even measure it.

180° is way off, never seen anything like it, not cardioid for sure. 0° shows typical response of badly tuned CK12 of any type, even recent plastic ones. Bump in low mids, sharp HF peak is a no-no! Some Akg c3000 had response like this.

If this thing can even be properly tuned remains to be seen. Stock it is unusable.
About 105pF diaphragm to backplate, 52pF between backplate halves.

I tag @alloitsjosh as he asked about the measurements.

Attachments

• 20230721_174034.jpg
    20230721_174034.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230721_174242.jpg
    20230721_174242.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230721_174313.jpg
    20230721_174313.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230721_174328.jpg
    20230721_174328.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230721_180703.jpg
    20230721_180703.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
About what I expected. I will say, it definitely looks like a real CK12 response. It just looks like a real extremely poorly tuned CK12 response where almost everything is wrong...

This is a good experiment! It's a very interesting first attempt at this. I'm sure this is probably how a lot of people's first attempts have measured over the years. What it isn't, though, is a product that they should be selling to other people.

Last edited:
is it me or is the brass not all the way mixed or something? something is up with the alloy here. maybe the plastic is high-heat and stressed the brass? I've never directly done an edge terminated backplate, so I'm not sure how the plastic pouring process works exactly or how it might stress the plate.

Last edited:
How many plastics stand up to temperatures that can affect brass, without melting?
i'm guessing the plastic was poured directly around the plate judging from how they're joined so the question is how many plastics require temperatures that can affect brass while melting. only polycarbonate, i think? not many. could also be oily residue. the...burn marks? around one of the plates are also interesting. i'm not very informed about this process, so I'm a bit fascinated.

The plate with the junk on it only has parallel marks from a grinder, but the plate without the junk on it has marks from being hand-sanded around the edges. presumably to remove whatever that stuff is.

Last edited:
The plate with the junk on it only has parallel marks from a grinder, but the plate without the junk on it has marks from being hand-sanded around the edges. presumably to remove whatever that stuff is.

Assuming the backplates are glued in rather than threaded in... could that just be some glue overflow? Or i guess only @kingkorg can say what that stuff around the edges is, whether it's brass or plastic or something else.

Does heating up brass to, at max, the melting temperature of the plastic, do anything at all? Seems you'd need to heat it up to 3-500C for anything to happen. But then again, i'm no metallurgist...

Does heating up brass to, at max, the melting temperature of the plastic, do anything at all? Seems you'd need to heat it up to 3-500C for anything to happen. But then again, i'm no metallurgist...
at polycarbonate's melting temperature, the brass will anneal in about an hour and a half, i think? PC melts hot enough to anneal brass, but very very slowly. Other plastics I don't think get hot enough. I don't think there'd be worth in heat treating it post, except maybe to dehydrate? I'm not sure.

Looks weird, and the patina or whatever it is, came after the lathing process.

Based on what @Khron noticed, and what i see, the backplates are not threaded, at least not like original CK12.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter. They got some things right, some things wrong. I had given them a price that they could hire me to teach them this. They told me they don't pay anyone real money for their work . :)

Any burn marks I am sure because they do not know the required processes for these materials. They are reading this so I won't contribute more in public but please PM me
yikes!

it just seems like they literally put out an unfinished product...

We are simply doing their R&D work.
Ah, the "Microsoft Approach"...

Last edited:
It's hard to get everything right when launching a product. Didn't you have problems with shorting backplates and wrinkling membranes lately?
And wrote herself about the issues, offering replacements. I have reported the issue regarding the capsules to the manufacturer, and will happily accept replacement ones with right specs. I will gladly publis new measurements if they decide to provide them.

That's great and something any serious supplier should do.

EDIT: I was referring to communicating quality issues and offering replacements.

Last edited:
Back