All things G1176 - the new "repost" thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="heybluez"]
E B C
Q2--.56--1.09--1.84
Q3--1.20--1.86--12.95
Q4--11.3--11.8-- 29.53
Q5--4.4--4.8--28
Q6--28.5--27.9--14.45
Q7--29.64--28.99--14.73
Q8--13.81--14.48--29.87
Q9--13.77--13.14--0.0
Q12--22.9--8.23--26.60
Q13--25.87--26.33 --30.03
Q14--29.98--4.88--5.45
Q15--4.86--5.45--30.01
[/quote]

Ok I went ahead and replaced Q12,13,14,15 and got the below results:

E B C
Q12--22.46--14.81--26.11
Q13--25.58--26.10 --29.25
Q14--4.12--4.78--5.12
Q15--4.52--5.12--29.34

Not much improvement. I checked all the obvious components orientation, etc. The caps look fine. I am checking the poly caps and the resistors now. I cannot seem to find any shorts...I was trying to be meticulous when I stuffed the board to prevent anything like that...but hey...I am still looking.

My voltages are like 29.8V / -9.5V I am more converned with the -9.5...I believe that should be closer to ten.

Anyway, I am still looking...any thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

[quote author="heybluez"]
E B C
Q12--22.46--14.81--26.11
Q13--25.58--26.10 --29.25
Q14--4.12--4.78--5.12
Q15--4.52--5.12--29.34
[/quote]

I found the issue! Here are my new voltages:

E B C
Q12--3.94--4.47--14.84
Q13--14.33--14.89 --29.74
Q14--2.91--3.47--16.63
Q15--16.08--16.57--29.70

I checked the orientation of the caps and they looked fine. I checked the values of the caps and they were ok as well. SO I figured that since I had changed all the transistors anyway it must a wrong value for a resistor. I did what Gyraf suggested and looked around Q12-15. Well, I struck gold when I found that the 270R resistor (next to Q12,13 on the PCB) was not 270R but 270k! Wow.....oops. Anyway, I changed that out and my voltages seemed to fall right in place.

I redid the calibration and it seems to work now. I can see the compression acting with the meter, etc. I will be probably work on completing it tomorrow or and seeing how it sounds then.

Gyraf...thanks so much for your help! Amazing what a little thing like a resistor can do!! haha...

Mark..thanks to you as well for my previous signal amp problem.

I do have another question. Where would i find an attack pot like the original. I am going to wire mine with the push button switches and try to wire in the +8 setting. I want to put the bypass on the attack switch like the original. Do you know a) what this switch is called and b) where I could source it?

Thanks!
Michael

Hello.
Now I did it!I built two nice board filled with all the goodies.BUT! AHHH!
It turned out that my 24vct was more like 50vct.......that smell....
I ended up with almoust 70v after the bridge.
I quickly realized the mistake and turned the thing off.On one of the boards the r89 resistor got fried.On the other no visble damage.
Now after finding the right transformer I wonder what parts to change.
I guess quite a few.
Any idea of were to start?

C15 is supposed to be 470/40, but I was wondering why the voltage rating is that high since I can't see where it gets near 40?

Seems like 470/35 will work in this position.

Cheers,
--
Don

Hi there!
just the right time to post my little problem. My unit works fine but, compared to the original, I don't get enough output gain. I just read about 1:1, 1:2 transformer configuration. What is it about? I alrady exchanged a 11k resistor to 5k, what someone suggested in another thread, but there's not much difference. So what can I do?
Thanx a lot!

Christoph :shock:

Oh man....I think that someone is trying to drive me crazy.

I have pretty much replaced all the FET's and transistors on my board to get it to work. I think i blew them up when I shorted my regulator a while back. Anyway, I can set the QBias (using KDawgs procedure) and last night I thought I had. I did have trouble setting the GR indicator (i.e. -6vdb) and when i would switch ratios it would definitely jump everywhere. I figure I better change Q10 just in case. When I did it seemed to work. I still had some trouble getting to calibrate it but it seemed to not jump anymore.

I had some music playing through it and it seemed to work...at 4 is what not "as loud" as 20 and it looked on the meter to be compressing.

Anyway, I decided to go to bed and box it tonight. SO....in my brilliance, I figure I changed everything else I might as well just replace the last three transistors just in case..these are Q5,6,7.

Now I don't know if that did something or what! But not I cannot calibrate to save my life. The meter jumps again when I switch ratios (i.e. without signal) and I cannot drop it to -6 and keep then calibrate the meter at 0. It just won't do it. I did put signal in it and it does seem to compress.

I am so frustrated I had to leave it alone before I tossed it! Anyway, I was reading in the thread about Orson's troubles with the GR indicator so I will see what I can with that. I am curious anyone have any ideas as to what I can look at? I think everything is right? Could my FDH333's be toast?

By the way, the only time I had it the closest it seems I did not have to turn my QBias more than a little half way...not it is a little more than that.

I did turn these pots just to see if that did anything...i hope I am allowed to do that without damaging anything else!

Anyway, thanks for your help!
-Michael

Christoph,

Search the Meta.

Michael,

GR jumping (and staying off) when switching ratios, could indicate leaky FDH333's. But it COULD also be component-value problems around point 20/21 - the "threshold offset" for the different ratios.

Jakob E.

Hi again,

I think I found it. It describes how to change the connections of the Input AND Output Transformer. I don't have the Input Transformer. So can I just go on changing only connections at the Output transformer? Or do I have to make some more effort?

Thanks again
Christoph

[quote author="xsmsx"]Hi again,

I think I found it. It describes how to change the connections of the Input AND Output Transformer. I don't have the Input Transformer. So can I just go on changing only connections at the Output transformer?
Thanks again
Christoph[/quote]

Yes.

Cheers,
--
Don

Hi Gyraf,

Just for the record I am using the NTE177 substitute. In case that matters.

Anyway, I checked the orientation of the 6.8u and 100u caps (C19,20,21) and they seemed ok. I also switched from 4:1 to 20:1 and measured a DC voltage change at point 7 (on the ratio board where the release and attack are connected) and this did change and stay steady. I believe it was in the -3.x to -1.x range when i switch back and forth.

How would I tell if the NTE177's are leaking? I also noticed that the jump is the worst when switching from 4:1. After that it aint so bad. I know this worked once...at least I thought it did but I was never able to get the GR tracking to calibrate. Nonetheless there is obviously a problem.

-Michael

Michael,

We've had several problems with NTE subs - mostly on pin-outs.

I would'nt use any NTE's - it's almost always easier to find a different component with the needed specs - and then you'd know what you got.

Jakob E.

I want to make a 'hard bypass" on my 1176 using 4 relays.
Is it o.k. to use the "VU lamp" power for this?
I'm using a 0,6 A , 2 x 25 V torriod transformer.

Also, if I use four 5V relays (with the coil's powered in series) I will consume less power than four 24V relays (with the coil's powered parallel) right?
Al the realys need to be switched at once so...

Gyraf,

What do you recommend to replace the NTE's? Anyone know where I can source some FD333's?

Thanks!
Michael

[quote author="radiance"]I want to make a 'hard bypass" on my 1176 using 4 relays.
Is it o.k. to use the "VU lamp" power for this?
I'm using a 0,6 A , 2 x 25 V torriod transformer.

Also, if I use four 5V relays (with the coil's powered in series) I will consume less power than four 24V relays (with the coil's powered parallel) right?
Al the realys need to be switched at once so...[/quote]

Edit: I want to take the "vu lamp" power out which than will be regulated by a 7824 regulator ....

Gyraf,

What do you recommend to replace the NTE's? Anyone know where I can source some FD333's?

Thanks!
Michael

Latest posts

Back