AML 52F50

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting -1.5vdc from ground to output and -1vdc from ground to input.
I didn't measure across there since mine was now ok but as long as you don't have a short across there you should be fine. What do you measure across R156?

Just built a pair of these - just a heads up that one of my ribbon cables to the meter board was faulty, had to swap it out to a pin header and ribbon cable I had on hand. Took me all day to find the problem!

Just built a pair of these - just a heads up that one of my ribbon cables to the meter board was faulty, had to swap it out to a pin header and ribbon cable I had on hand. Took me all day to find the problem!
What was the fault? Mine had the pin 1 stripe on the wrong end of the cable but as is only only a visual indicator wasn't an operational fault. Maybe worth reporting back to AML.

What was the fault? Mine had the pin 1 stripe on the wrong end of the cable but as is only only a visual indicator wasn't an operational fault. Maybe worth reporting back to AML.
3 of the pins on the meter board side connector were not making proper contact with the ribbon and not passing signal - I ended up swapping it out for a 2x5 pin header and a ribbon cable I had on hand, I actually think this is a better design choice as a those IDC ribbon cables can occasionally fail (I do a ton of eurorack synth stuff that relies heavily on them)

I emailed AML about this - otherwise the builds went well and man these things sound good! I’m getting really accurate unlinked stereo operation too, very impressed.

i managed to build and calibrate a couple of compressors. they work very well, thanks to Colin!

i read the topic and didn't see any hints on how to get the values of 130mv on R156 are - the probes need to be connected to different ends of R156, and not relative to the ground.
i managed to get 775mv and 3.10v from a conventional tone generator from the Internet, the only thing I had to tinker with setting these values, because adjusting the signal level does not involve fine tuning.

hope someone will need this information.

i managed to build and calibrate a couple of compressors. they work very well, thanks to Colin!

i read the topic and didn't see any hints on how to get the values of 130mv on R156 are - the probes need to be connected to different ends of R156, and not relative to the ground.
i managed to get 775mv and 3.10v from a conventional tone generator from the Internet, the only thing I had to tinker with setting these values, because adjusting the signal level does not involve fine tuning.

hope someone will need this information.
I did mention 'across R156' in my posts and I'm sure the instructions say to measure across R156. Not meaning to sound condescending but across means end to end of a component. If it would be relative to ground you would see an instruction such as WRT (with respect to) ground, from ground to pin 1 of said component, etc...

Great compressor! Been using mine mainly on drums or occasional bass. Worked a treat recently on Timbale.

I did mention 'across R156' in my posts and I'm sure the instructions say to measure across R156. Not meaning to sound condescending but across means end to end of a component. If it would be relative to ground you would see an instruction such as WRT (with respect to) ground, from ground to pin 1 of said component, etc...

Great compressor! Been using mine mainly on drums or occasional bass. Worked a treat recently on Timbale.
due to my inexperience, I did not correctly understand the interpretation of "measure the voltage on R156", it seemed to me that this should be done in relation to the ground :)
yes, the compressor exceeded my best expectations. amazing!

due to my inexperience, I did not correctly understand the interpretation of "measure the voltage on R156", it seemed to me that this should be done in relation to the ground :)
yes, the compressor exceeded my best expectations. amazing!
Measuring to ground/0V is probably more common if trying to find a voltage so you were thinking correctly in most instances but in this case the voltage measured across R156 is directly proportional to the 130mA required that you would be able see if you were using a current measurement - for example if you were supplying power via a power supply that shows current draw or if you were using a separate current meter. As a lot of people would be powering straight from a 500 series rack the other option is to measure across R156 and and set 130mV. If you were to think about Ohms Law the calculation to find the current is voltage (130 mV) divided by Resistance (1 ohm) which gives you 130mA. Hope that helps.

Back