An engineering solution to climate change?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dmp said:
Energy density cartoon...
I'm reminded of Al Gore in "An Inconvenient Truth" riding up in a cherry picker to show the hockey puck CO2 graph, only for this one he has to go into orbit.

boji said:
I know this will make a few kind folks around here yawn, but for what it's worth, the blogger does have a MS in Applied Meteorology:

1/2/18 - An extreme heat event for [N.Siberia]... high temperatures of greater than 40 degrees F above recent normals:
https://wxclimonews.com/2018/07/02/extreme-heat-event-in-northern-siberia-and-the-coastal-arctic-ocean-this-week/

I notice the official term now is Climate Change. Initially is was AGW (Anthropogenic? Global Warming) then it became plain Global Warming and now it's just Climate Change. Of course, the climate does change, so nobody would argue with that but it seems to have become synonymous with global warming which it isn't.

Cheers

Ian

boji said:
We couldn't scrub the water vehicle's exhaust with some fancy carbon catcher? (googlin' now).
EVs don't have exhaust pipes, but use electricity that is often generated by burning fossil fuels.  It is indeed easier to scrub one smokestack than a million tail pipes, but as my local clean coal (cough) power plant debacle demonstrated this is not an established technology. That $7.5B clean coal plant has been converted to burn natural gas because it's cheaper wasting billions of ratepayers (like me) dollars.

The hydrogen combustion or fuel cell exhaust is pure water so does not need treatment AFAIK.

JR

boji said:
"hydrolyze water"  that's like saying goldify gold, isn't it.  ::)

Electrolyse, thanks JR.

For TMI back in HS I conceived of a strategy to make an bomb out of water electrolysis. I probably shouldn't share this but even I didn't make one. Imagine the typical rig to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen. Instead fo collecting the gas in separate containers allow the hydrogen and oxygen to accumulate in a single vessel (like a large glass jar turned upside down).  As the gas displaces water the water level climb until it reaches another electrical contact completing a circuit and making a spark inside the bottle of combustable hydrogen mixed with oxygen in the perfect ratio.  Kids do not try this at home.  ;D

wiki said:
Hydrolysis is a term used for both an electro-chemical process and a biological one. The hydrolysis of water is the separation of water molecules into the constituent hydrogen and oxygen atoms with electricity

Electricity may not be the only way to add energy to break the chemical bond in H2O.

JR

In secondary school here they used demonstrate the explosive nature of the mix of oxygen and hydrogen.
A plastic chemical bottle was placed upside down on a tripod same as used with a Bunsen burner,minus the wire/asbestos mesh. The raw materials ,peroxide and something(cant remember) else were mixed in a conical flash , A small lenght of pipe was used to fill the bottle with hydrogen ,then a lighted match was placed just under the mouth of the bottle , the bottle took off like a rocket accompanied by a loud bang.

There was a buddy of mine in school around that time ,he sneaked into the chemical stores at the back of the science class rooms ,relieved them of an oil filled flask with hunks of sodium in it , we ended up  making what we called depth charges from it ,hack some holes into the lid of a glass jar ,place some stones in there for weight ,then a chunk of the featherweight metal ,put the lid on ,toss it into the river or pond ,boom just like in those old war movies .

Hilti blanks from nail driving guns were another thing we would find around building sites as kids ,I had a few smarts under my belt due to guidance about such things from my Dad particularly ,other kids werent as carefull and throwing these blanks on the fire was seen as 'great craic' altogether. There was one kid in my class who thought it would be clever to try and hammer a nail into the squinged end of the hilti shell ,damn thing went off and give him a quick painfull lesson ,lucky though the damage was only superficial. I ended up caught with a few strips of the blanks by my dad at one point ,there was a full military style enquirey  into the who's where's and what's of the situation ,anyway luckily my dad saw that the things were disposed of in the appropriate manner , and took the time to reitterate safety precautions when dealing with dangerous things like that . Lesson learned and in good time too .Bit of a treat drift ,but I guess it sits in well with Johns previous post .

yup kids like to blow things up.

Back in the 60s one kid in my town was trying to fill a CO2 cartridge with gunpowder.  Not sure why but I can guess... unfortunately for him it exploded in his hand before full but still blew off a finger (or two). This was back before micro-surgery could just sew it back on. He became the object lesson about being careful with explosives for the entire community.

JR

PS: I am remembering other things we did (blew up) but nah... not going to give anyone any more bad ideas.

There was a buddy of mine in school around that time ,he sneaked into the chemical stores at the back of the science class rooms ,relieved them of an oil filled flask with hunks of sodium in it , we ended up  making what we called depth charges from it ,hack some holes into the lid of a glass jar ,place some stones in there for weight ,then a chunk of the featherweight metal ,put the lid on ,toss it into the river or pond ,boom just like in those old war movies .

You had a brave friend. Probably equally fun and dangerous to be around. I tried to avoid doing things that might get me suspended. Still got suspended tho, but it was for not ratting out someone.  Boring!  :/
I did steal a bunch of my dad's old M80's from the 60's.  They were the real deal and dangerous as hell, as some didn't go off or would slow burn. But when they did pop, they'd send a paint bucket 100ft in the air and leave a 2ft crater in its wake.

boji said:
You had a brave friend. Probably equally fun and dangerous to be around. I tried to avoid doing things that might get me suspended. Still got suspended tho, but it was for not ratting out someone.  Boring!  :/
I did steal a bunch of my dad's old M80's from the 60's.  They were the real deal and dangerous as hell, as some didn't go off or would slow burn. But when they did pop, they'd send a paint bucket 100ft in the air and leave a 2ft crater in its wake.
We used to call those "ashcans" and had a similar small explosive we called cherry bombs.

Again for the don't try this at home file, if you think lifting a paint bucket was amusing, try that same experiment with a spray paint can lid...  After going up almost out of sight once or twice it literally turned into shrapnel with tiny pieces of metal everywhere...  :eek: :eek:

Sometimes its amazing that we survived childhood.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Sometimes its amazing that we survived childhood.

JR

How true. One year my Dad bought me a jet propelled boat for Xmas. It used special solid fuel pellets in a little engine. You would a little spiral of stuff called Jetex fuse and left a bit poking out the back. There was no pond or river near where we lived so we tried it in the bath! Light fuse and retire speedily. Boy did it shift.

I later found many uses for Jetex fuse. including wiring together several fireworks strapped into a house made of balsa wood and paper. Great finale on bonfire night as the house catches fire and explodes.

We also used to tie bangers and sparklers to the sides of rockets. Arranged so the sparkler was still going when the rocket landed. A minute of so later the sparkler lit the fuse on the banger.

I am not going to say what we use to do with short lengths of copper tube, Jetex fuse, sugar and weed killer.

Cheers

Ian

I am not going to say what we use to do with short lengths of copper tube, Jetex fuse, sugar and weed killer.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hard to prove,  but I read somewhere they sprinkle-in micro identification tabs into commercial ammonium nitrate products now stateside.

boji said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hard to prove,  but I read somewhere they sprinkle-in micro identification tabs into commercial ammonium nitrate products now stateside.

And there has been fire retardant added to sodium chlorate for many years.

Cheers

Ian

living sounds said:
What makes you so sure you know better than 99% of the experts in their fields?

I can accept that the climate is changing, but isn't it strange that public discussion whether (or to which degree) this is caused by humans are not allowed to be held ?

At least there is only the "humans and their CO2 emissions are responsible for this" side represented in the media (and I also guess that only research in THIS direction are financially supported by the governments)

Majestic12 said:
I can accept that the climate is changing, but isn't it strange that public discussion whether (or to which degree) this is caused by humans are not allowed to be held ?

Really? Who would be preventing us from discussing it? How would they do that (there are no laws in western democracies making those discussions illegal)? Where was discussion actually disallowed?

Scientists  are debating the degree to which climate change is caused by humans, but the mountains of evidence from a multitude of scientific fields is so overwhelming that the debate after many decades now has arrived at a place of "how bad is it going to be?".

On the other hand, there is ample incentive for special interests who depend financially on the status quo economy to disinform the public. There is ample evidence this has happened as is still happening.

desol said:
Yes...human genetic engineering might help?

I really hope that was a comment in jest !!.........if not you need help, seriously.
Suppose the next "SCIENTIFIC" hah, debate will be how to remove CO2 from animal and human exhaled breath, wait for the tax on that , wake up sheep!
And then even say its" your" fault to make you feel guilty and the open your wallet
Gullible idiots and manipulated media, just listen to the EXPERTS  ???

Latest posts

Back