Another passive monitor controller

Help Support GroupDIY:

bjosephs

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

The prototype is working. I had some trouble with the L/R cut not working when in mono, turns out I had reversed in and out at the DB9 connector and was driving the circuit backwards.

With a 10k pot I can’t turn the volume up passed half way on mastered music so a 2-5k will probably be the right fit so I have some level when things aren’t yet pushed to the limit in a mix.

Attachments

• 7FED6E86-5602-403E-BE04-0C01E755FFF8.jpeg
    7FED6E86-5602-403E-BE04-0C01E755FFF8.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 20
  • EFC6ED6A-40EB-4A3C-96E8-F02589E388E5.jpeg
    EFC6ED6A-40EB-4A3C-96E8-F02589E388E5.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

bjosephs

I put the prototype aside for a while to select parts and start thinking about the design. Attached is a redrawn schematic, a bit different from where I started. I moved the attenuator to the output (as I did on my prototype because I couldn't fit any more wires into the connectors where I had intended). This was somewhat advantageous because I had intended to put a DC control resistor across the outputs (say, 100K) to help control switching pops. The attenuator can fulfill this role as well for free.

I have some switch options coming from digikey (not a lot of options in stock these days), as well as a rack case, and I'll need to make some decisions about inputs, outputs, and switching so I don't lose too much momentum.

I'm thinking 3 ins and 3 outs simply because 4P3T rotary switches are cheap (or not, if you like) and are easy to wire. I kind of have this idea stuck in my brain about having an "aux out" that will route a passively split signal from those inputs back to an input on my computer. Kind of like a little patch bay but I may sideline that for simplicity.

Attachments

• Schematic.png
    Schematic.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts