Any bowlers here?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewYorkDave

It's what I'm into these days. Outside of my job duties, I haven't done anything with electronics in months.

(For our friends in the UK or Commonwealth countries, I'm referring to tenpins, not cricket).

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]
(For our friends in the UK or Commonwealth countries, I'm referring to tenpins, not cricket).[/quote]

FYI I've never heard cricket referred to as bowling in the UK NYD :wink:

What people here may think you mean is the popular pensioner pastime of crown green bowls. An altogether different sport than the ten pin variety

JFRMCrownBowls3.jpg

Now THAT is a consumately British sport :grin:

My kid has gotten into bowling, which has gotten me back to it. Sunday morning is half price, so every now & then we go throw a few frames. I usually break 100--but just barely. My game is very rusty & pretty much sucked to begin with.

in the uk a bowler is normally somebody who plays either of the two bowl games, in cricket a bowler is part of the team, so you would probably say

'I am a fast spin bowler in the frog n buckett cricket team'

or

'I play silly mid off for the gear shunters and welders club in th'igh street'

I personally prefer ten pin, but my tallent prefers me to stay at home n listen to music.

Nice to see your post NYD, been missing your insights ...

Iain

[quote author="rob_gould"][quote author="Svart"]isn't the person who throws the ball in cricket called a bowler?[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

The bowler bowls... he does not throw.

[quote author="peter purpose"]The bowler bowls... he does not throw.[/quote]
...Unless he's recovered the ball and is taking a shy at the stumps for a run-out.

-Coincidentally, I've been trying to explain cricket to my supervisor at work this week...

Keith

Do they have 5 pin bowling in Europe or is that a Canadian thing?

I've never seen it in the US.

The Seattle Times just ran a piece on the local curling club, I'm thinking about taking that up.

Mike

I always dig it when I go, but I somehow seldom do. Real shame is there is an alley not 300 yards from the studio door.

hehe... somehow I thought "bowlers" = smoking a bowl. nevermind...

I used to bowl in highschool, does that count?

Curling used to have people smoke'n & Drink'n at every end ,
[ the game is played end to end , 8 rocks 8 or 10 ends ]
but with political correctness ........................
does well on T.V. though , big setup no matter what little town
the rink is at

Totally. It's like darts.

When I was younger, all the dart matches on Canadian TV (this was well before the bizarre poker craze) had plastered English and Scottish men throwing darts through clouds of thick smoke. When they cleaned up darts (no smoking and drinking), I just couldn't watch it anymore.

"Oooooone Hundred and Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeighty!"

Dave have you been shoe and ball shopping yet?

Mike

The insidious thing about bowling is that it looks so simple at first: you roll a ball 60 feet down a lane and knock down some pins. Hit the headpin and they all go down--right? But then you notice that you're leaving splits even when you connect solidly with the headpin--and if you're the least bit inquisitive and want to know what you should do about it, the "simple" game suddenly becomes rather more complex.

Echo North, I'm using a Brunswick ball that's about 30 years old, though it spent most of its life till now sitting undrilled in a closet. As for shoes, I bought an inexpensive pair of Dexters and modified them by adding grip soles on the right shoe.

Both my parents are bowling coaches so I've rolled a game or two.

the "simple" game suddenly becomes rather more complex.

In fact when you get the fundamentals down, it completely ruins your game for a while, but then you get much better faster.

Here are some tips, I'm sure there are others online as well.
http://www.bowl.com/coaching/tips/main.aspx

Latest posts

Back