Anyone coming to Frankfurt musikmesse next week?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Hi guys,

Is anyone of you planning on coming to Frankfurt musikmesse next week?

I'll be there with the Gyraf - in Hall 9.1, Booth C15 - also featuring the notoriousTim Campbell.

See ya?

Jakob E.

How big is the show? Is it the equivalent of NAMM but the European version?

I'm not attending, but it has intrigued me as a future potential trip.

I will be at Darkglass stand (bass stuff), I don't know the stand number yet. I will visit your stand of course.

See ya
Rafael

I will also be in Hall 9.1 at the booth of ES Pro Audio (API, Shadow Hills....) on every day.

Everybody is invited to say hello, we have good coffee :)

12afael said:
I will be at Darkglass stand (bass stuff), I don't know the stand number yet. I will visit your stand of course.

See ya
Rafael

Hey, that´s some news! You didn´t tell me... Where´s that booth?
I´ll be in Frankfurt on tuesday and wednesday.

Jens , I'm in Madrid , already with jetlag, traveling to helsinki. I'm starting next monday  :D.
Will be cool see you again ;)

micaddict said:
john12ax7 said:

Everything in America is bigger, no?

;)

http://www.gear4music.com/news/article/Musikmesse-vs-NAMM-The-Battle-of-the-Trade-Shows/6BC/2014-03-06

Yup, you win. 

But I'd bring my walking shoes anyway.
Messe used to be bigger than NAMM. The situation has reversed in recent years. Messe is getting smaller and smaller and every change they make to try to improve it seems to have the opposite effect. Its proximity in time to, and being after NAMM doesn't help. Lots of companies used to exhibit at both, now many only do NAMM.

Matt Nolan said:
micaddict said:
john12ax7 said:

Everything in America is bigger, no?

;)

http://www.gear4music.com/news/article/Musikmesse-vs-NAMM-The-Battle-of-the-Trade-Shows/6BC/2014-03-06

Yup, you win. 

But I'd bring my walking shoes anyway.
Messe used to be bigger than NAMM. The situation has reversed in recent years. Messe is getting smaller and smaller and every change they make to try to improve it seems to have the opposite effect. Its proximity in time to, and being after NAMM doesn't help. Lots of companies used to exhibit at both, now many only do NAMM.
Back in the day the Musik Messe was much much bigger (more important) than NAMM for large international companies and more of an international show. Some large distributors only went to frankfurt. Large companies would splash their new products at the messe, but January in Southern California was nicer weather than March in Frankfurt. Another factor was lower priced air fares, making NAMM less expensive for some dealers and distributors to attend. For dealers and small distributors NAMM was a nicer destination, then companies splashing new products at NAMM in Jan, stole thunder from the same old gear in March.

I recall last century having a British Peavey rep tell me at a Frankfurt show, that his bigger UK music store dealers were going to NAMM instead of Frankfurt that year (may have been a quirk of relatively cheap dollar too).  I have been out of the trenches for over a decade but my sense is that music business is not growing like it was back last century so companies cutting back probably cut Frankfurt over NAMM.

FWIW I don't think I've even been inside more than two of the several halls at the musik messe. One hall to work (9 IIRC) and the other to check out small electronics companies looking for new interesting stuff. After Peavey bought Crest I seem to recall us having booths in both halls. It was a serious hike between the two. I don't know (or care) what Peavey is doing there now.

Have a beer or two for me... One thing I liked about Frankfurt is we had beer in the Peavey booth fridge, something we never did at NAMM.

JR

thermionic said:
And being Germany, the beer was actually drinkable  :D
Since I brew my own, I have strong opinions about beer and while German beer is drinkable, it is not my favorite.  While there I would search out "alt" bier about as dark as they make... The only time I really appreciated wiess bier was with a slice of lemon, on one very hot 4th of July in Atlanta, after running a 10k race there, not at all like Frankfurt in Mar.

I would even have (peavey) friends bring me tripls from Belgium to tide me over during the messe.  8)

Decades earlier (1970) while I was in Germany on NATO maneuvers I drank copious quantities of German pilsner And it was superior to the 3.2% piss-water available at Ft Riley KS.  These days I prefer the darker stouts and porters I was able to find on tap in UK, and Oz). I was even able to find Guinness stout (in bottles) in Hong Kong. 

JR

Not really on topic, but hey, this is the brewery after all.  :p

Since my home country is now in my profile, it might not surprise you guys that I'll mention Heineken.
The owner Freddy actually lived in my little home town. Folks like Frank Sinatra came to stay over.
But Freddy passed and I don't know where his only daughter lives now.

But that's lager (pilsner) and we actually brew better lagers than Heineken here.

For other beers, those with more body etc.,  our neighbor Belgium is quite famous. And Belgium is even smaller than my country.

I'm more of a wine drinker myself BTW.

Heineken is a "safe" beer that is widely available around the world.  When facing a cooler or beer list full of odd brands the Heineken will usually not surprise or disappoint, while I am not a lager-pilsner guy.

Odd how Heineken also makes a dark version, and Guinness is now selling a light beer (blond). I guess the grass is always greener in the next yard.

One observation, selling beer in clear or green bottles is a marketing gimmick that does not protect the beer from deterioration from light exposure. I expect the Heineken for local consumption may be sold in proper brown bottles that protect the beer better.

+1 to Belgian beers a well deserved reputation for excellent beers.

JR

Guiness blond is one of the worst beers, have no idea how it's still on the shelves. Even worse is that it replaced black lager which was excellent.

I tend to like stouts, lager and pilsner (good ones) and fancy Belgium beer these days. Not a hef fan but in general find German beer to be consistently good. I can imagine messe to be a fun time.

Btw, you can get beer at namm booths too, just have to visit the right ones.

john12ax7 said:
Btw, you can get beer at namm booths too, just have to visit the right ones.
I never attended NAMM as a visitor, so my beer choices were pretty much limited to which booth I was working in. You might be shocked, but wearing my Peavey badge around the shows did not earn me a warm welcome in most other company's booths, let alone free beer. 

I recall one summer NAMM show when I borrowed a pair of drum sticks and walked around in disguise. ;D ;D  It worked I had one major power amp company salesman telling me that his company's new power amp put out more power than it took in through it's line cord (I think he believed what he was saying).  ::)

I miss seeing many of the people, but I absolutely do not miss working trade shows. After the first ten or twenty, one loses the sense of discovery and adventure.

JR

My error we will not have a stand this year but we will be there saturday and sunday.
It seem that I will not see you Jens. I will be more in contact I promise. see you at summer maybe?

I will be at the ProLight&Sound Thursday and Friday. I don't know if I will find the time visit you guys, but I will try. was there  a beer invitation? have to recheck the thread....

If you want to say hi we are at the Eventhalle, level 0,  booth B03

- Michael

12afael said:
My error we will not have a stand this year but we will be there saturday and sunday.
It seem that I will not see you Jens. I will be more in contact I promise. see you at summer maybe?

Too bad, but meeting in summer sounds good. Count me in!

Back