Anyone heard from PRR lately?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it in the order of things that golden days be from the past and those of the future "brighter"? :unsure:
"In the past, even the future was better!" (Karl Valentin)

Like Pucho said, tides.

E.g. the very early days of this forum, which I only know from thread diving, a lot of experimentation and research resulted from equipment being undocumented and legendary, either unobtainable or for cheap in a garage sale, and also sometimes the diyers being much more naive, green, but also curious.

Now most of the equipment is reintroduced either as diy kit or China-based cheapo boxes, in the upper price segment there is everything available anyway. There is unimaganable documentation and learning resources online. It´s basically wonderful, just not the same curiosity, personal involvement in "recreating" old circuits etc.

To drop just one name of a long list, as long as ruffrecords is on here, this forum just cannot be a bad place...
Cheers to all!

The experimentation and research of the early days was out of necessity and because lots of folks had a different mind set. Most folks at that time would flip the light switch and the light would go on and we were constantly striving to know why combined with how to improve the switch. We also were in a position of professional gear was expensive. No knocks were commercially sold.
With all the Lego audio companies plus all the companies who have clones as a business model, it really changes the mind set. If one can get an entire Lego set and just assemble why go experiment, customize, or bother to learn the how and why?
The mindset has changed. Also why Lego when I can get an already built replica from a company?
There is a lot I wish happened in pro-audio, companies who’s entire business model is to clone and sell it doesn’t do any favors to anyone in the long term. It drives out innovation and real designers.

Last edited:
This site seems to be for superiorly smart people capable of defying the Sphinx's riddles.

I don’t remember having any difficulties when I registered, but it was some years ago. Maybe they changed the registration process.

It’s a good forum for the DIY guitar pedal crowd.

The Hoffman Amplifier Forum is very very good for Tube Guitar Amps, both repairs and builds. Amazing people over there.

Paul PRR is amazingly helpful in both forums like always, and it’s very well respected there, like he deserves.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=95645.0

I scrambled through the television channels tonight in preparation for a visit from a stranger.... The weather channel seemed the best choice apart from leaving it off ..lol
I rarely get inside the house guests and typically switch the TV to a music channel
When I joined this group, PRR acted sometimes as a moderator, but he never accepted the responsibility officially.
I respect him enormously on a technical level, and regret the loss, but instead of trying to fix whatever he thought was to be fixed with this group, he chose to out.
And remember, not everybofy liked the way he could be curt.
PRR was one of our informal technical editors, skillfully correcting obvious misstatements of fact. He was invited to participate as a moderator here and declined. The fact that he is reportedly a moderator elsewhere may say more about place than person. Of course he is missed here, but is still sharing the wealth (his knowledge), so it's all good.

JR

I couldn't pass the tests that ask:
I've been a member there about as long as I've been a member here, so I predate all that nonsense. I almost never post there, but I do a lot of digging for information. It's a very good resource for pedal-related stuff.

I totally agree, Brewery should be removed from this forum
If you would like, I can make it disappear for you. And anyone else that does not want to see the Brewery, just drop me a private message and I can make it go away for you.

If you would like, I can make it disappear for you. And anyone else that does not want to see the Brewery, just drop me a private message and I can make it go away for you.

Hi,
thank you so much for your message and for the offer.
But disappearing only in my log in interface doesn't solve the issue.
The issue is that the Brewery section should not exist in this forum, simple. It's an audio electronics forum, and the bad vibes that start in arguments and discussions in the brewery of non audio electronics themes spread to the rest of the forum.
There's members hating each other because of brewery discussions, they will hate each other also and bring that disrepects to "The Lab", "The Drawing Board", etc etc, it's happening for some time now and it negatively affects the forum.

My opinions and others were already shared in another thread so I will not develop it again here:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/resurrection-of-the-brewery-is-not-universally-loved-because.82851/
This thread is about PRR so I prefer to talk about him, and the only think I can talk is praise him

Thank you so much once again, and it's great to know that you care

My antivirus just sent an alert telling me that it is trying to connect something called www.luciferstrip.com, don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound good. And I'm too Catholic to mess around with it and figure it out....

Lucifer's Trip is just a band...

But maybe your AV solution is catholic? Gee, I hope it isn't AVG.

Hi,
thank you so much for your message and for the offer.
But disappearing only in my log in interface doesn't solve the issue.
Here we go again.

The issue is that the Brewery section should not exist in this forum, simple. It's an audio electronics forum, and the bad vibes that start in arguments and discussions in the brewery of non audio electronics themes spread to the rest of the forum.
I asked before and I'll ask again. Where are the examples of such spreading of "bad vibes" to the tech areas? I don't see it happening.

There's members hating each other because of brewery discussions, they will hate each other also and bring that disrepects to "The Lab", "The Drawing Board", etc etc, it's happening for some time now and it negatively affects the forum.
Disagree. Adults can and should be capable of disagreeing on various topics while cordially sharing in discussions on mutual hobbies and interests. That's what I see happening.

My opinions and others were already shared in another thread so I will not develop it again here:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/resurrection-of-the-brewery-is-not-universally-loved-because.82851/
But you did bring it up again.

This thread is about PRR so I prefer to talk about him, and the only think I can talk is praise him

Thank you so much once again, and it's great to know that you care

If there was no Brewery, where would we discuss things like PRR, NYDave, jokes, music, and the rest? If you don't like it, don't read it. If you disagree with what someone posted and don't want to argue, just ignore what they've written. It really isn't that difficult.

Lucifer's Trip is just a band...

But maybe your AV solution is catholic? Gee, I hope it isn't AVG.
I see... I'm using Bitdefender, don't know why it considered it wasn't safe, perhaps you are right, perhaps it is Catholic.

Back