Anyone interested to build a TG1 clone ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author="jho-audio"]yep, me too. $10 lesson. Now I need to start learning from these lessons :oops:[/quote]

Why doesn't Winston just send back your money?
Is he still active on this board?

And what lesson is there to learn?
That we can't trust our fellow labmates? The very thought makes me ill.

Worse yet, I know of one other instance - the small dick who took the 4804 money and ran. (Although I think that was back at TT.)

Hopefully Winston's just temporarily out of the picture and will come back to refund your dough . . .

Hopefully Winston's just temporarily out of the picture and will come back to refund your dough . .

I don't know the whole story but winston is temp out of the picture. I believe their was some legal matters in reference to his red 47 mic pre. I don't know the whole or even the half story I do know he is out for a short period. I believe CJ may know the whole details. IMO by no means did winston take/rip you off you just have to wait for a bit.

what i don't understand is: wich law would be violated by publishing a schematic of an old emi-module? as far as i know a patent lasts for 25 years and after that time it is no more protected. that is f.e. with the old moog-filter that can be built by anyone nowadays. or did i get that wrong?
so i'd think if it's no internal papers from chandler, it should be no problem to release the schematics - if anyone has them...

chris

Hey Sound Guy (et al),

I just got my Tape Op mag the other day and there is an interview in there with Wade...you all might want to read it. According to him (Wade), there were license fees paid to build what he is building....I just read it quickly and will have to check it out a little closer in the next day or two, but I think that he is on the up and up on this one...If licensing fees and all that stuff is paid up, it ain't theft. Just a thought.......

TP

I don't know, but I have a feeling Winston might be suffering from a life threatening illness, just my intuition, because when he is healthy, he is a one of the nicest and smartest guys on the forum. I am sure he feels terrible about the whole thing, but it's probably the least of his worries.. There are children involved also, so lets not be too hard on the guy. Life isn't always a bowl of cherries. One day your happily posting on the forum, and the next, you could be pushing up daisies, or come down with the big C.

Yes, EMI was asking him to stop with the Redd 47. He joked that he should call it the Radd 47.

And oh yeah, don't worry about the DIY police. Clone til you drop, that's what I say. Nobody is gonna come snoopin around your home studio, so don't let anybody make you feel paranoid. I have heard not one storry about anybody getting sued over a one or two off DIY project. The big wigs don't have the time. It's not an us against them thing, they have their own planet, and we have ours. Planet DIY! :razz:

Never the twain shall meet.
:guinness:

CJ,
send me an email
can we put our heads together to put this back on track ???

that reminds me ... what about your Mic-pre project ... mmmm ?

[quote author="CJ"]
And oh yeah, don't worry about the DIY police. Clone til you drop, that's what I say. Nobody is gonna come snoopin around your home studio, so don't let anybody make you feel paranoid. I have heard not one storry about anybody getting sued over a one or two off DIY project. The big wigs don't have the time. It's not an us against them thing, they have their own planet, and we have ours. Planet DIY! :razz:

Never the twain shall meet.
:guinness:[/quote]

Just don't clone a Monster Cable. They have spys everywhere. :wink:

I read the chandler article. He didnt have licensing when he started building them years ago...

I really dont want to be the guy that comes on here and says all this nasty shit about people and their products, in the long run I really stand to gain nothing from bashing chandler and what I think is an inferior product. Its not like Im out there offering something better, I should probably just keep my mouth shut about things like this. How do you share potentially damaging information without coming across like a total jerkwater? On one hand I think its beneficial for people to have some of this stuff exposed, yet on the other hand, who wants to be the resident bad guy in the process. Whats so stupid is that if the product had decent parts in it I wouldnt have boo to say, as a consumer I hate feeling cheated which of course is where my bitterness comes from. I dont mind paying a lot of money for a good product, but paying a lot and then getting cheap parts is really frustrating for me. I hope that people see that Im trying to be fair in my evaluation of these things and am not just some jerk throwing mud over something personal or something like that. Reading my posts Im beginning to wonder if all of my comments just sound like spiteful garbage which I dont think really does much good for anyone. there are big contradictions IMO about the way chandler's products are received in the marketplace and what the marketplace has to say about the activities on this board. There are big contradictions between the leading of the chandler advertising and the reality about lorlin switches in a $4k box. I wish there was a way to comment on these things without being such a gripe, which Im not good at. I think its too important to not share that info though. Lately Ive really been buggin on the smoke surrounding lots of things in the marketplace, I dont know why this type of thing has hit such a nerve. Its unfortunate that quality has become an unrealistic expectation, even when you shell out tons of cash in the hopes of getting quality. Its a real bummer for me.

dave

dont be shy Dave - you were absolutely right about the Chandler stuff.
I have a few friends who have some of the products and all say the same thing. the chassis and build quality are poor. terrible switches. front panel is bendy and loose.
you can buy a new 33609 from Neve for about $3K and it will come with about 12 gold plated ELMAs - and it is built like a tank with the best components. Neve has always looked expensive but compared to Chandler it is a complete bargain.
I am sure if he put the price down he could sell twice as many Chandlers.
Thing is - since I have been building pro units myself - I am very particular about the stuff I will spend big money on - and when I see how some manufacturers skimp on parts while getting the top dollar for the units - makes me sick. They are just using the fact that most punters dont understand electronics at all.

Hey,

removes foot from mouth

All good winston - i do hope everything pans out well for ya :thumb:

Easy to forgot about the bigger real issues after a long awkward day here with diy fever on the brain, so was just sounding of and was none the wise to anything else other then the radio silence...

Props to you fully too!

All the best :guinness:

To Dave:

Thanks to DIY, many of us have begun to feel the same way. It's important that someone is always willing to speak up and take iniative, even if it pisses people off. Besides, "Oh no, people are gossipping and complaining on the internet!" ...Big fuckin deal! Nothing new.

To make an analogy, it's like how we get so pissed off and can't listen to a good record if it's poorly mastered (at least I can't, not the L2 squahed-beyond-recognition stuff) because we're recording engineers and actually hear this shit. Whereas the general public could care less so long as the beat is grooving. Before we start building high end gear and we're just buying it, we have no clue as to build quality. But when we build stuff that rivals it we become aware that we're getting taken advantage of. The equipment manufacturers have no more right to put crappy parts in high end gear than the big 4 record labels do to slaughter a high quality record during mastering.

...and I just inadvertently ranted about two issues in one post! Hell yeah!

[quote author="tardishead"]Thing is - since I have been building pro units myself - I am very particular about the stuff I will spend big money on - and when I see how some manufacturers skimp on parts while getting the top dollar for the units - makes me sick. They are just using the fact that most punters dont understand electronics at all.[/quote]

Yes, this is exactly where Im coming from, also resonating with what family hoof stated above. The other thing that gets me to fly off the handle lately is dealers who comment on these boxes. I dont think dealers understand the responsibility their word carries. If I say something that is pure misinformation, Im just some idiot. If some dealer says something that is pure misinformation, its a whole different thing, by proxy of their job, people respect what they have to say and I have seen some really just flat out wrong things, technically speaking, posted by people selling gear online and its really fucking bothersome. You've got companies advertising gear based on the fact that consumers dont (and thats not a knock, why should the average joe know all this shit, right?) understand about electronics, but yet will drop a catch phrase like class A or drop a part like elma switches or jensen transformers, etc. in their advertising points. Then you've got a dealer who clearly knows zero about electronics doing the same shit, talking about parts and circuits that he just doesnt understand, which reinforces the hype in the advertising and its one big train of crap taking a bunch of people who in a lot of cases cant afford to be taken for a ride on a really expensive ride. and god forbid you should try to call these people out and cause a flame war with the people you are ultimately trying to help. Internet land has been really discouraging in the last couple of weeks. I dont know why Im so hypersensitive to the amount of BS I see posted on the other boards on a daily basis, but its really really really burning me out.

The sad part is, I sorta know some stuff, but I pretty much dont know anything. I cant imagine how frustrating the current marketplace must be for people who actually understand this stuff who always have answers for my amatuerish questions. It would be a lot easier to get information if people would just be honest. What happened to honesty and integrity and treating people like you want to be treated?

The doublestandards and bandwagon herd logic that exists out there is really disgusting if you stop to think about it. Some things are a question of taste and there's no point in debating that stuff, but other things are pretty black and white.

dave

If someone is going to build this diode limiter, all smallsignal transistors can be substituted with BC184 / BC214.
Don't know about the powertransistors, to me it looks like a class A circuit where one of the powertransistors acts like a current generator?

Forgot to say THANX JOHN!
Do you have any info about their pre / EQ ?
Just saw that a couple of components are missing between the two scans! Is it possible that you can make a new scan of the center part? If not I trace it from the pcb instead

WOB:

Hey, man. I can't tell you how great it is to see your post! :green: . I heard *all* kinds of stuff and didn't know what to think. I mean, you were like here today, gone tomorrow. SO, I hope you and the family are doing ok. No, I hope you folks are doing GREAT! I mean, you can't DIY if you ain't got you're health! Life's just too damn short. :shock:

Welcome to Chris' cliche festival! :grin: and WELCOME BACK.

Aloha,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back