Anyone interested to build a TG1 clone ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Soundguy....I just wanted to say that I hope you didn't take my post in the wrong way...I wasn't trying to exonerate anyone, just that if Wade had paid his license to manufacture someone else's design, than he should be able to do that within the limits of what he paid for....having never seen this TG1 up close and personal, I can't vouch for it's quality vs. price point but I can say with a certain amount of authority due to the fact that I fix pro sound equipment all day and have for almost twenty five years, it is appalling the SHIT that is sold today and passed off as quality stuff. I have to bite my tongue when I hear some musician say how nice their new POS (piece of shit) is and when I read reviews about a particular piece I almost want to hurl. I work on this stuff! I see inside of it! I'm the one who see's it's many weaknesses and has to fix them at almost give away prices. When someone asks what I do for work and I tell them, I cringe because I know the next question: "What do you think about XYZ brand of amp/mixer/doo-hickey"?...If I tell them what I really think, then I have to go into this long diatribe about why I think the way I do. Poor quality at high prices is unconscionable but I see it all day long and it is frustrating.....I have found that in this business, as it probably is in many others, you don't always get what you pay for... That's why I love this group and it's mentality "If you want it done right, do it yourself"
I'll jump off my soapbox now :oops:

TP

Just want to say thank you to Mr.O'boogie for your generosity to share the schematic, knowing that it might attarct more BS as the result for sharing(and I sincerely hope that you will not have to deal with anything of that nature).

MUCHO RESPECT to your kindness and generosity!!!! :thumb:

Thank you.

:guinness:

Couldn't find any data for the HS2051 zeners. When I checked in the NTE bible it says zener 5,1V? Any comments on that?

Just checked the WOB schematics against a real unit and the only thing that's missing between the two scans is a diode, OA202!
Anod is connected to the VT17 emittor/R41 junction, catode is connected to R47 / pin 36 (gang)

Tekay

Just checked the WOB schematics against a real unit and the only thing that's missing between the two scans is a diode, OA202!
Anod is connected to the VT17 emittor/R41 junction, catode is connected to R47 / pin 36 (gang)

What about :

1. The connection from junction VT19 collector & R44 that is going left off the diagram.

2. The connection from junction VT18 collector & R42 that is going left off the diagram.

It looks like they may be test points, but just want to verify.

Hey Tekay,

do you know what AOT means? Its cropped up in the Calrec1061 thread but I can't figure it out....(apply on test??)

BTW How do you think this unit will sound compared to the 33609? Are they at all similar..

Cheers Tom

[quote author="TomWaterman"]Hey Tekay,

do you know what AOT means? Its cropped up in the Calrec1061 thread but I can't figure it out....(apply on test??)

BTW How do you think this unit will sound compared to the 33609? Are they at all similar..

Cheers Tom[/quote]

Tom-

Its very very similar to a 33609. This is especially so with the chandler box since it has carnhills in it. The circuit behaves a little kludgier than a 33609, but thats not a bad thing. Overall, both act very similar.

dave

Howdy, Clonetastic chums,

You may or may not have gathered that I fell head over heals with the original TG console at 2kHz Studios here in the UK. I was SO delighted to discover the fab schemo courtesy of Mr Winston O' Boogie esq( thank you, thank you, thank you!) Perhaps I can learn something from this.

Does anyone have any info on what transformers are used on these puppies?

Also, please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are the things immediately to the right of the bit that says "VT13 and VT14 to be matched according to item list" on the bottom of page 1 of Colonel/Professor Winston O'Boogies fabtastic schemo? Is it a transformer? with its multi-coloured doobies . . . or is ot something ganged together? Can;t recognise it/them . . .

FWIW Acording to the funkyjunk website, you can now buy some elmo switches as an optional extra for the Chandler TG1. Ho Hum.

If someone does respond to this, Many many thanks as ever. You chaps is da bestestest!!!!!!

ANdy P

ps - How/Where did they EMI link CV from channel to channel?

I believe there were gardners transformers in those consoles. would be interesting to see what was on the output of this thing originally.

dave

Hey thanks Tekay and Dave...(Adjust On Test makes sense)..

would like to have a play with a 33609 / TG1 type comp at some point, I have a sneaking suspicion that they'd be great on drums/room etc. For some reason I was led to believe that the TG1 was a fair bit dirtier than the 33609(?)

A long long way off in the future, is anybody planning on turning the TG1 into a group diy project with board layouts, or is that pushing it concerning the whole 'legal' thing?

In about 20 years when I've got the time and currency I would like to have a stab at Neve-esque diode comp, TG1 or Igor's 33609/2254 hybrid.

-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back