Are there AI type questions being asked

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it might just be people not knowing to search, common forum problem I see, or they put in the terms in a way they can't find what they're looking for, but that's more of a Xenforo/other forum thing, they should still find the stuff through Google I'd think.

Google is the premier AI ,
you feed it ,it feeds you back bullshit ,
Somehow today when I went to the computer Google had re-installed itself as my search engine ,
I didnt ask my browser to do that , so Firefox is letting Google in up the tradesmans entrance ?
I wouldnt mind hearing what Bill Hicks has to say on the modern state of internet game play ,
Were furiously sucking that fat corporate cock like our lives depended on it .
This question belong in the brewery .

I agree it seems there's something fishy going on, Gus.

I think perhaps some of those are building up number-of-interactions to legitimize as genuine forum participants, so they easier can run a black-market scam later on.

That is, trying to circumvent that we e.g. have new member names in red to show their new/unproven status

/Jakob E.

Add to it all, the fact that many things having nothing to do with Artificial Intelligence are being called 'AI', so confusing and muddying many issues.

I foresee many years of this ahead.

"...it's going to be a bumpy ride."

I have noticed there have been a number of questions asked about microphones that a search at this forum or web should find answers for.

Is this some type of AI information scraping?

I don't think so. AI doesn't scrape info without being told to do so by a human. At the moment, AI doesn't take initiative. So if no human asks the right questions, we will be ignored completely.

Of course, some company could be scraping the internet while collecting training material for their AI, but I doubt if microphones are that high on their hitlist.

I'd presume financial data fi to be more interesting. In fact, a few companies are already doing that, hoping to sell the scraped/learned data.

No, it's just good old human laziness mixed with the brazen demand to have all sorts of things explained to you by other people at any time.
I'm certainly guilty of this. I've asked some questions I know people have answered in here, but I have trouble with the search function. I think it searches each individual word in your search term. So if your search "transformer matching an input" it will return every post with "an" in it. If somebody could explain this to me I'd be really grateful.

The other thing is, sometimes I'm just trying to start a conversation. I could read through the archives to get answers, but I wouldn't really get to know anybody here. I see how you guys help and support each other, it's awesome and I want to be a part of it.

You're pointing out a sore with nearly all fora.

Only, I don't think it searches for "an". I seem to remember any search term needs to have at least three (or was that four?) characters. Still, it only offers an "or" search, while you usually would want an "and" search. Google has fixed that many years ago, so forum software makers might want to do some effort there.

A solution is to use Google and add "site:groupdiy.com" to your search term(s).

And then hope Google has indexed what you're looking for, since forum admins can exclude parts from the Google index (the Brewery on this forum, I think). That's not too intelligent, as someone might remember reading something in the Brewery, but it would be impossible to find via Google and the internal search engine might exclude it too.

Thanks for the explanation! Yeah, my example was poor and incorrect from memory, but your suggestion to add the site to my Google search is a great piece of knowledge. Much appreciated

:DComical wit is something the AI is really going to struggle with ,
The abillity to shoot oneself in the foot and come back laughing really throws the opposition off their game . Leaves them stumped , then you land a haymaker back on them when their balance is off ,

Sarcasm, irony and some other human means of expression tend to throw AI off it's tracks too. Ask AI for a joke and then tell it you don't understand and if it could please explain.

That should be good for a laughter or two.

Google is the premier AI ,
you feed it ,it feeds you back bullshit ,
Somehow today when I went to the computer Google had re-installed itself as my search engine ,
I didnt ask my browser to do that , so Firefox is letting Google in up the tradesmans entrance ?
I wouldnt mind hearing what Bill Hicks has to say on the modern state of internet game play ,
Were furiously sucking that fat corporate cock like our lives depended on it .
This question belong in the brewery .

"Re-install" would be the wrong term and sounds more invasive than has actually happened.

Google is the default setting for many browsers, nothing installed, it just sends search info to the website. You may have received a prompt to set it as default and clicked without reading the pop-up. Perhaps some browser updates may reinstate defaults too. Or it may just be the landing page default, not the search bar defaut - again likely an automatic browser update reset it.

I have noticed there have been a number of questions asked about microphones that a search at this forum or web should find answers for.

Is this some type of AI information scraping?

That is not how AI works - it doesn't ask questions on websites, it scans what is already written on a subject.
If you look at Google for example, it often displays an AI answer to a searched question .. so I wouldn't be surprised if this now influences people's expectations on forums too! They just type in a question and see who answers - it's quicker than searching the forum (if you just wait for responses).

A lot of what's being sold to investors as AI isn't even a real AI. It's often just an expert system. The system that's been used to aid lawyers, fi, is seen by the press and most folk as AI, but it isn't.

Expert systems are just databases holding a lot of information about one field, coupled to smart scripting to make searching easier. I made one years ago that could determine tree species by asking a number of questions about the form of the leaves, the fruits, the bark etc. Simple, really.

A real AI is capable of using data to build a model. Like GPT uses the Internet to build an English language model, capable of reacting like a human. Other AIs are fed chemistry data to seek out new medicine. Or DNA data to recognise which genes are responsible for certain traits.

We're not yet at the point where the AI can collect any data and build a model. That's why the intelligence isn't universal and why AIs can't have ideas. They can sort and sift through large piles of data in an efficient manner, but they can't come up with relevant questions.

A lot of what's being sold to investors as AI isn't even a real AI ...AI can't have ideas. They can sort and sift through large piles of data.
Right. AI is both the darling of promoters and the media, when most (all?) of it is only algorithmic. Nothing new yet, just a lot faster processing of lots of data.

I don't think it's just microphone posts but I have seen an increase in AI Chat like posts. This is something we are all on the look out for. Not against any forum rules (yet) but some people may be trying to game the minimum posts restrictions.

JR

Back