What makes a good microphone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm listening on a pair of Senal SMH-1000 cans (similar to Sony 7506, or whatever they're called) but I'll go and get a pair of Grados and have another listen.

Meanwhile, it seems to me that all these guitar notes are around middle frequencies, without any bass, so it's not possible to judge the bass capability of either of these CM-60 or SDC-84 mics on the guitar alone. There are no hi-tops there, so I can't judge - from just the guitar tracks alone - how either mic behaves at high frequencies (hi voice, hi-hat, cymbals, snare, sibilants, etc) and deep bass. As you say, it's difficult to hear much, or any, difference between them.

Listening with the Grados, the CM60 seems to have a touch more bass, - especially with the upright bass on the 'Test No Mastering' tracks - and the 84 a touch more 'brightness' ..but only a touch. On the 'Logic Pro' tracks, I prefer the CM60 - again - as it seems to be a bit 'meatier' ..more thumping bass, and there's some 'brightness' and 'sharpness', too.

But, of course, you might have a different opinion if listening thro' other cans; it can depend a lot on what you're listening through.

I prefer, overall, the cheapo CM60. You say "I’m now really curious how much of an “improvement” the DIY KM84 build will make over the stock CM-60", and I honestly think, er, (sorry about this) the answer's 'Nothing'!

Keep the CM60s exactly as they are!!

Great listening @MicMan ! I just added the separate bass tracks. What I'm hearing on my monitor speakers between the bass tracks is maybe a little more higer-end definition with the SDC-84 mic.

Good definitely to take note of the differences. Leaving the CM-60 alone would defeat the purpose of my KM84 DIY project. ;) I can't imagine the project would result in bad-sounding mics and the really interesting thing about this comparison is that for under $25 one can get a very usable CM-60 mic - at least for recording acoustic bluegrass instruments.

Sennheiser.
Well, I'm listening on a pair of Senal SMH-1000 cans (similar to Sony 7506, or whatever they're called) but I'll go and get a pair of Grados and have another listen.

Meanwhile, it seems to me that all these guitar notes are around middle frequencies, without any bass, so it's not possible to judge the bass capability of either of these CM-60 or SDC-84 mics on the guitar alone. There are no hi-tops there, so I can't judge - from just the guitar tracks alone - how either mic behaves at high frequencies (hi voice, hi-hat, cymbals, snare, sibilants, etc) and deep bass. As you say, it's difficult to hear much, or any, difference between them.

Listening with the Grados, the CM60 seems to have a touch more bass, - especially with the upright bass on the 'Test No Mastering' tracks - and the 84 a touch more 'brightness' ..but only a touch. On the 'Logic Pro' tracks, I prefer the CM60 - again - as it seems to be a bit 'meatier' ..more thumping bass, and there's some 'brightness' and 'sharpness', too.

But, of course, you might have a different opinion if listening thro' other cans; it can depend a lot on what you're listening through.

I prefer, overall, the cheapo CM60. You say "I’m now really curious how much of an “improvement” the DIY KM84 build will make over the stock CM-60", and I honestly think, er, (sorry about this) the answer's 'Nothing'!

Keep the CM60s exactly as they are!!
The Senal cans are a little less hyped. I have the 1200s and I'm loving them.

Great listening @MicMan ! I just added the separate bass tracks. What I'm hearing on my monitor speakers between the bass tracks is maybe a little more higer-end definition with the SDC-84 mic.

Good definitely to take note of the differences. Leaving the CM-60 alone would defeat the purpose of my KM84 DIY project. ;) I can't imagine the project would result in bad-sounding mics and the really interesting thing about this comparison is that for under $25 one can get a very usable CM-60 mic - at least for recording acoustic bluegrass instruments.

You said "..a little more higher-end definition with the SDC-84 mic.." ..exactly, but in the final mix that sounds - to me, anyway - a little TOO sharp, compared with the final mix of the CM60 tracks, where the top's not over-emphasised, and the bass is nice and full.

So please don't butcher a good pair of really cheap mics just for the sake of swapping capsules: keep the 84 capsules for a pair of mics which really do NEED them!

[ Ican'tthinkofaname: yes, the Senals are a little less shrieky than the Sonys.]

G'nite.

You said "..a little more higher-end definition with the SDC-84 mic.." ..exactly, but in the final mix that sounds - to me, anyway - a little TOO sharp, compared with the final mix of the CM60 tracks, where the top's not over-emphasised, and the bass is nice and full.
Roger that. I had that problem with my sE5 pair – crazy hyped top end – enough to where it kinda ruined one of the songs we’re recording for an album. I’ve re-recorded some of the other instruments already but still have to get the guitar player to re-record his parts with one of these mics.

It’s surprising how well both do w/o any EQ. With a touch of EQ both tracks would sound even better.
So please don't butcher a good pair of really cheap mics just for the sake of swapping capsules: keep the 84 capsules for a pair of mics which really do NEED them!
:) I mean, where else can I find a pair of SDC donor bodies for less than $25 USD each? I’d happily get those instead.

Good morning!

I'd actually KEEP the CM60 mics, buy another pair, and mod THOSE, then you've got a 'control' (unmodded) pair to compare against when you've done your KM84-style build. You now already know that the CM60s are really good mics, so I'd say don't (potentially) spoil them. Just get another pair for DIY experiments.

If you're desperate for DIYing, I'd print a pair of Neumann-like badges, and stick them to the unmodded CM60s. That's your mod. You can then convince yourself that you've got a great pair of KM84 soundalikes ..for only $44 US.

Let us know when the 2nd pair have been modded, and if they do actually sound better than the CM60s, or just 'different' ..probably more bassy. ( I've bought mics which have had new transformers fitted, etc - because someone's read that they should do that - but then sound far worse than the originals! On the other hand, MP's RK-47 really tames horrible shrieky mics, and is a worthwhile mod.)

You're spending ..er, you've spent!.. quite some cash on SDC parts, so I'd say don't regret it by spoiling your nice-sounding CM60s. Buy another pair and mod those instead.

Latest posts

Back