Avantone CV-12 troubleshooting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conviction

Hi all,

I recently bought a CV-12, second hand, but it couldn't have seen much use at all. It worked perfectly up until today and I'm rather clueless where to start look.
There's definitely something weird soundwise and It's almost like it constantly saturates. There's also lots of noise, but I don't think it's coming from the PSU.

Obviously, I've tried several tubes (everything from AY to AX) but with the same result. Could it be a bad capsule?

I'm currently using a Marenius SMF-5 preamp, but I'm certain it got nothing to do with the pres.

Any tips appreciated.

Really? No one?

I take it alot of you guys not only have knowledge of repairing, but building, (C)12 microphones.
Could it be the output transformer? Or could it be the capsule itself?

Try putting anaoher K-67 type capsule in place of the one in the CV-12. They are inexpensive, should you need to buy one, but most mics of Chinese descent use this type of capsule. So, you may have a spare capsule lurking in another mic.
This is the best place to start troubleshooting your problem. Also check for broken PCB traces and cold solder joints. Report back with your findings.

-James-

Thanks, James!

So, nothing seems to be wrong with the capsule. It works perfectly in another (transistorized) microphone. It must be the output transformer then.
Any recommendations? CineMag? Think mid-price, not super high end  :)

Could be many things. Bad capacitor maybe. Maybe a shorted output cap? If so, the trafo could be gone bad also.

PM member- Sinsay787, or look on his Facebook page/ MicRehab.
He knows pretty much everything about any mics. Shannon is supper great guy and wouldn't care to try to help you out.

Myke.

Thanks for the response!

I'll be sure to check the output cap. So far I've only checked for bad solder joints etc. Ocular stuff.

Now when I know the capsule works, I'll order a new output transformer (though I'm still trying to decide between the AMI T14 or the Cinemag dito).
Perhaps a new capsule aswell... The CK-67?

It was my intention to replace all these but the plan was to evaluate the microphone a little first :)

Back