Baxandall puzzle

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some 24 way blue chinese rotary switches ,dual pole,
I was thinking for my bax version I could make it so as all 24 positions were available in both cut and boost  , I could use a three way toggle on each range for cut/ eq out/ boost positions ,and rotary cut/boost control in  .5 db steps  for +/- 12db ,the bax calls for linear law pots ,does this mean each resistor in the chain would be equal ? it would certainly simplify wiring up 24 pos switches if all resistors were the same,  ,the centre tapped vs 2x330kohm treble pot arrangement of the original would be easy in a switched Bax also , If build out resistors can be afforded in each leg of the circuit because available boost cut curves  give far more cut than required ,maybe a not so vicious (in impedence terms) peak/shelf pot on/off switch could be added like in the revisited Bax.

The above switched arrangement might work with a single pole of 24 positions ,ie one resistor chain thats switched alternately between boost and cut sides of the network, a resistor of equal value to the chain being switched in on the opposite side to balance things up, that really would simplify things up nicely and half the numbers of resistors and switch contacts needed .[

Tubetec said:
I have some 24 way blue chinese rotary switches ,dual pole,
I was thinking for my bax version I could make it so as all 24 positions were available in both cut and boost  , I could use a three way toggle on each range for cut/ eq out/ boost positions
The Bax circuit requires one resistor to increase while an other decreases, which is the characteristic of a potentiometer. You can't have one variable and one fixed. It would certainly be some kind of tone control but ihat wouldn't be a Bax.

the bax calls for linear law pots ,does this mean each resistor in the chain would be equal ?
No. The actual law for a constant dB law is an S taper; linear is an approximation that makes smaller steps at mid rotation than at the extremes.

Back