Behringer ADA8000 modifications..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Viitalahde"]
I would re-do the PSU without considering. "Behringer" and "PSU" in one sentence smells fishy to me. :green:
[/quote]
Fish? Bought a somewhat different smell to my mind!

But the idea of redoing one of these properly is appealing, I must say. And one of the most important mods is to remove any trace of the word 'Behringer' from anywhere visible if you want to retain any street cred whatsoever, I think... :wink:

I have a question. Why would you want to mod this.? It is only 24, 44, 48.

Hi Gus,

Whats i bad with 44/24 or 48/24?

I ALWAYS record at the sample rate given by the fnal product. I recording or mixing either music for CD (44.1) or music/pospro for betacam digital (48Khz). I don`t need 96Khz.
This method is one of the rules for the recording engineer, you can record at 96khz but when you resample to 44/48 the loss is worse than if you record at 44/48. This issue have been discused for years, check www.
Also there seem than good 44/48 coverters give better sound and specs than other 96/192 capable when recording at 44/48, also keep in mind than the 24 bits is far more important than the sample frequency.

Best Regards,

Josue.

[quote author="Gus"]I have a question. Why would you want to mod this.? It is only 24, 44, 48.[/quote]

It's only $200-230. The Alesis AI3 is $350+. And there are few ad/da boxes cheaper to get tracks past the Flintstone convertors in the Digi001.

I asked because I would think if someone got something new they would want it to have 96,192 as well.

There is another question are there conversion problems if recordered at 88.2 to down convert to 44.1? 88.2 is X2 44.1.

Something I just thought about . I had read somewere that some mastering places like to stay in the format 24 44,48 88,96,192 then go to analog then into a realy good 16, 44.

Maybe making two of the channels as pure as you can to do the cd master?

What I mean unbalenced into maybe a very clean buffer into a VERY GOOD transformer into the diff input of the converter inside the b. Can the b be set to 16 bit mode?

Tha main reason to go with the 48KHz max sample rate of these boxes, is because this is what an inexpensive chipset can do these days.

There is no easy-to use or easy-to-modify 96KHz multichannel chipsets - and there's no de-facto-standard for carrying 96KHz into your computer.

I think the ADAT lightpipe - even with it's limited sample rate - is by far the easiest interface standard, because of the easy-to-use and inexpensive chipset.

And btw - at the issue of 96KHz - our Apogee 44KHz converters still sounds much better than our PTHD system, so let's not be too afraid of that standard..

Jakob E.

is it possible to do a TDIF in-out-mod in lightpipedesigns?
all my gear runs TDIF and i'm about to bypass my d8b what is the only lightpiped gear in my studio... :?:
I assume that before something is converted to light it has to be electronic??

Tony

I'm really wanting to figure out how TDIF works and build an ADAT/TDIF format converter... if I manage to get anywhere with this, I'll get PCBs printed and you can build one too :)

I own a DM-24 (all TDIF plus one ADAT), and an RME Hammerfall (All ADAT), so I have these woes all the damn time. I'm to the point where I want to buy a cheap old motu 2408 mk. 1 JUST for the adat/tdif conversion.

There is another question are there conversion problems if recordered at 88.2 to down convert to 44.1? 88.2 is X2 44.1.

Something I just thought about . I had read somewere that some mastering places like to stay in the format 24 44,48 88,96,192 then go to analog then into a realy good 16, 44.

Hi Gus,

there are the same downsampling problems even if you use a multiple of 44.1 or 48 (88.2, 96Khz)

Best Regards,

Synthi

The problem with TDIF is that it is reserved for Tascam and their friends - people who pay royalty to Tascam.

Which means it's not as widely used (at least the recent years) as the royalty-free ADAT Lightpipe. Which in turn means that there's not any cheap dedicated, easy-to-use chipsets available.

And before you propose we should design "our own" 96K standard for converter-to-computer connection, remember that conversion is the smallest problem in all this. Building computer interfaces and writing drivers for various OS's would be prohibitively difficult and time-consuming for DIY.

I think that for DIY, we're better off accepting and using a well-known, widely used standard.

And at the price of the ADA8000, I don't see how we could do much better at a budget price range..

Jakob E.

[quote author="Viitalahde"]I believe in minimalism. I would definately try the trick of feeding the A/D through a trafo only, or maybe even through a cap?[/quote]
That works just fine. But how would you limit the input signals to avoid killing the chip?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

It seems like the chip already accepts quite high input signal levels without breaking - as the driving stages runs at +/-15V, no level-limiting..

Maybe a couple of zeners could be used if it turns out to be a problem?

Jakob E.

I am also thinking on more general terms. Some ADC datasheets mantion that input level limiting is very important, and some don't mention it at all. But how much distortion would zeners cause? With many ADC chips the "0dB" input level is above 3V peak and the absolute maximum input is only 5.6V. So what zeners should be used? 4V7?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Some ADC datasheets mantion that input level limiting is very important, and some don't mention it at all.

It's probably a function of wether the chipset wraps or saturates on maximum input voltage. If it saturates, I don't see the need to clamp the inputs.

Cheers,

Kris

W.r.t. input-limiting, why not put one of those old Beh. 8-channel limiters in front of the ADA8000 :?: :!: :wink:

But serious, in the recent Spirit Protracker-thread Kev mentioned the SSM2015 (IIRIC) for such duties. Might complicate it w.r.t. component-count etc though.

But do we really need limiting with 24-bit recordings ? We have some headroom to spare. But certainly a few zeners wouldn't hurt as a final measure.

Back