Behringer ADA8000 modifications..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any way of taking those smds out of there and putting standard size sockets in? (is that possible)

ive never attempted anything like that... i tend to stay away from smd... bad expieriences...

this is an exciting thread!

but why the hell does that thing have mic pres on it anyway???
-bryan

[quote author="dramadisease"]any way of taking those smds out of there and putting standard size sockets in? [/quote]

No, I don't think so:

b1.JPG

b3.JPG

b2.JPG

b4.JPG

..Pictures by bluebird..

Jakob E.

lovely, don't we all like it naked? :thumb:

Looks very similar to something i recently saw, but can't post pictures about...(copyrights)

aw, the op-amps are just nice wide-spaced SOICs! Will be a breeze to replace!

its those damn TQFPs that scare me. Oh, and BGA. Don't get me on about BGA.

This thread is keen. At least until a truckload of gold crashes through my front door and I can feel justified in spending sh*tloads of money on what I'm considering to be nonessential converters, , the behringer sounds perfect to make use of my unused optical i/o, Use it for some fx send and returns. A few extra rec. channels when needed. puurrrrfect.

The mods look pretty straight forward. I'll be getting one in a few weeks. meanwhile, Please let us know if something works well or not at all.

The photos have a wierd orientation and I'm having trouble figuring out what goes where. Is that a board at the rear of the chassis with the output jacks mounted to it? Think it could be moved a bit to place line in and out on the backpanel, even if barrier strips had to be used, this would be a good mod for my purposes.

Never taken out a SMopamp. How hot a soldering iron temperature to use?

Sleeper.

I do it like this:

a) get some liquid rosin flux and some brad
b) heat iron to ~700F (my weller station is 45W max, and the knob goes from 1 to 5, I set it on 3.5 to 4)
c) dip braid in flux
d) lay braid across whole row of pads, and heat the braid, quickly moving down the line. You don't want to lay that much heat on the board for a long time, just a quick shot of heat will do it, and the braid will just slurp up the solder. Do that on both sides, then come back and do it again, maybe gently prying up on the side of the chip with a knife or tiny tweezers or something.

It's not too hard to do.

Then, to solder a new chip back down, just dab some flux on the board, lay the new chip in place, and tack down opposing corners to hold it in place, then put some solder on the iron and touch each pin. The flux will make it slurp the solder off your iron into the joint.

I'm watching this with baited breath ---

is there any way we can partition the system, so that we can just squirt the left/right justified data to and from the alesis chips?

I would love to hook some of TI's new converters (PCM4x04) into the box.

food for thought... *sigh*

the PCM chips will need additional clock/buffer ckts, those alesis adda chips have internal pll's that recover the signal and do the do...least i think so anyway :roll:

Jaakko, that most have been very long distance... the man lives in China since a few year. Been told be a close relation to him. Running a factory/productionline overthere is to risky and the locals don't respect you until you have been there long enough to gain their trust, mr B relocated wife and children!
Well, there's dedication for fabrication :green:

[quote author="pilo"]I don't know if it can help, but my adat converter finally works.[/quote]
Great! What was the problem?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Great! What was the problem?
bad gnd routing on a pcb... I started this project one years ago, it's good to use it now!!! (but I just have 2 output and 2 input for the moment).

I will start working on the 4-channel TI chips (send me some samples Rochey :grin:), and I'll post the results when I do...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Got an ADA8000 yesterday, and looking inside at the electrolytics packed around the regulator heatsinks, perhaps a change to 105 degree caps here would be a good idea.

well, you guys change your minds pretty quickly :grin:

It's best you guys fire up www.ti.com and order the samples yourselves... remember the golden rule - when asked... you're making a few hundred units per year. That keeps you off radar. If you make up some silly number you may get someone like me calling to offer some help :D

And if someone calls - you never knew me, and your doing a project in your spare time.

*phew* now that's clear :D

For some pretty good schematics and layout, you can download the EVM users guide for the PCM4204 and PCM4104. The EVM's are what we test the performance etc of the device on - so you may want to copy as much of the layout as possible to get the noise performance. Your choice I guess...

The PCM4204 EVM users guide is:
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ug/sbau104/sbau104.pdf

and the PCM4104 EVM users guide is:
http://www-s.ti.com/sc/psheets/sbau097/sbau097.pdf

Keep me posted - I'm _very_ _very_ interested in whats possible here.

Cheers

R

Latest posts

Back