Best and smallest 10K log stereo pot?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golgoth

Hi everyone,

I need to fit a stereo potentiometer in a narrow space (25mm height, length and width are not a problem tho). I am looking for the best 10K log stereo possible.
Attached is the current single pot I want to replace and the actual location in the chassis.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-09-06 à 16.07.07.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-09-06 à 16.07.07.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My eyeballs are not calibrated (perhaps share the channel width?). That image looks like maybe one inch (2 1/2CM) wide. There are quality 16mm rotary pots available from multiple vendors that should fit, but please confirm the width first. Slide faders are narrower but might not fit easily.

JR

RK27112A00A5 is a great dual log pot, no idea if it’ll fit though (it is kind of large)

My eyeballs are not calibrated (perhaps share the channel width?). That image looks like maybe one inch (2 1/2CM) wide. There are quality 16mm rotary pots available from multiple vendors that should fit, but please confirm the width first. Slide faders are narrower but might not fit easily.

JR
John, you're eyes are perfectly calibrated, the chassis space is precisely 25mm in height!

RK27112A00A5 is a great dual log pot, no idea if it’ll fit though (it is kind of large)
Thanks a lot for your suggestion, the pot is 24.5mm tall when the chassis space in the rack is 25mm! That's not fitting with the pot's legs unfortunately

25MM pots are generally higher quality (more wiper fingers etc). 16MM pots are pretty mature technology so should be OK. I have never used 9MM pots personally but would lean toward 16MM for the OPs application.

JR

25MM pots are generally higher quality (more wiper fingers etc). 16MM pots are pretty mature technology so should be OK. I have never used 9MM pots personally but would lean toward 16MM for the OPs application.

JR
Do you have any high end 16mm reference in mind?

No, I used truckloads of Alps over the decades but there are other decent pot manufactures... get advice from somebody buying pots this century. :cool:

BTW I was using 16MM Alps pots back in the 1970s.

JR

Why not just approach the manufacturer on a group basis and commision samples of custom tapers for starters .
if a certain set of specs could be agreed upon the group could multiply its buying power .

Ian (Ruffrecords) might chime in here about what Neve used back in the day. They used a linear pot with a "slug" resistor from wiper to the low end of the pot to approximate an "audio" taper.

Advantage is that a linear pot has tighter tolerance specs.

Bri

Why not just approach the manufacturer on a group basis and commision samples of custom tapers for starters .
if a certain set of specs could be agreed upon the group could multiply its buying power .

I have not dealt with Vishay or Bourns before. So, I do not know. But manufacturers like Alps will charge you good fee for this. Also, in terms of production, there is generally a minimum order quantity of 2,000pcs.

That is an RV6 size pot. There are tons out there in that size range. The Harrison channels I am gutting are loaded with 10k ganged pots in that size range if I remember right (it was a late night last night and I have not sorted them yet). Let me see if I can grab some part numbers or specs.

carbon/glue sludge wiped across a substrait even if its laser trimmed wont compete with discrete resistors for a stepped attenuation ch/ch balance surely,
never mind the major players Sahib ,
what i was suggesting was instead of a log-ish volume pot made with discrete resistors one with a precise db per step into a specified load ,same constructional method as the China mini Dact .

Latest posts

Back