Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut them with a Dremel, once the hole for the connector's body is done I place it and mark the screw holes

Actually they're almost the easiest for me
I wish I had thought of this when I put an IEC jack on my Gates Level Devil when I restored it (it was a radio station dumpster find). That chassis has some serious iron on the chassis. It took me a couple hours to drill inside the outline and hand file it to fit.

3D printed frame is a nice solution.
I went on and ordered a custom die for the exact same IEC inlet without a fuse.
It’s for a 22.5*30.5mm hole. If anybody needs it:
https://sl.aliexpress.ru/p?key=KVc8Z9L
Edit. This is for the back side mounted inlet. I haven’t received the punch yet, so can’t comment on the quality.
A short follow-up.
I’ve successfully used the punch on several builds (aluminum, 2mm thick panels). Works beautifully. Very easy and fast. Wish I had this kind of tool earlier!

Hole punch changed my life too haha ! A friend of mine lended me his IEC punch, beautifully made ... what a difference ! Unfortunately I managed to break the main shaft, so I need to find someone that can make a new one for me !

Please excuse me if something like this has been uploaded before...

I did a PCB layout for an IEC "adaptor" where you can use a circular hole punch the width of the IEC inlet and then place this little thing over it to mount it and cover up the rest of the hole from the circular punch. Whole thing is 52mm x 33mm.

JLCPCB is convenient because you can get "aluminum PCBs" and order like twenty of these for $7.50 USD or something. FR-4 PCB material is cheaper but I think metal is a better idea... Maybe PCBWay can do aluminum too? Also, both JLCPCB and PCBWay offer CAD services now, so that's something to consider. Could 3D print as well.

Attached gerber files as a .zip. Also attached is a .dxf exported from EAGLE and a .stp file, but I don't do much (really any...) actual CAD stuff outside of EAGLE so the .stp file might be a little wonky. I uploaded the .stp to SendCutSend just to see if it worked and it looks correct?

edit: oh btw, if ordering from JLCPCB, check off "Specify a location" under the "Remove Order Number" option so it'll be printed on the "back" of the piece.

IEC Adaptor SendCutSend mockup.pngIEC Adaptor JLCPCB mockup.png

Attachments

• IEC Adaptor V1 DXF and STP.zip
    17.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IEC Adaptor V1_1 Gerbers.zip
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back