Bluzzi EZ1084 EQ finished units

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All,
    I'm not finished my 4 units completely but I wanted to post this pic of the populated board for any other complete noobs who might be considering this project.  Though I've been mixing live/studio for over 20 years the only prep for this build I've had is cable building and some recent cap/transfo swap on a few chinese mics.  Seriously!  I'm so green, and Jim has laid this out so well it's (almost) fool-proof.  I did manage to screw something up with a grayhill, but it got sorted quick and easy!

Cases from Dan and adapter PCB from FiveFish, some sort of power supply, and I'll be set.... will post finished units then.

Much thanks to Jim for this - can't wait to hear them...

Steve

Also - that magnifier light saved my butt on this!

Attachments

• ez1084eq-board-post.jpg
    ez1084eq-board-post.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 573
Hi Jim; no noise, no hum, no pop, no smoke but that great 84 's sound!!! Many thanks to all those who made this project happend. ;D

Im freaking up here!
cant find time to finish racking my 1st channel!
gotta take a year off from my job!

Thanks.

3nity said:
Im freaking up here!
cant find time to finish racking my 1st channel!
gotta take a year off from my job!

Thanks.

"...all work no play make 3nity a dull boy..."

I'm still waiting for the invite to see the Amek!  ;D

Summer is here, take a break my friend.

Jim

sr1200 said:
whats the chances of putting a HI-Z input tx in there and using this as an instrument pre?

No chance I'm afraid. Its line level input and the amp stages expect that. You would need the mike pre board (that I am guilty of still not having tested).

Cheers

Jim

biasply said:
Hey All,
     I'm not finished my 4 units completely but I wanted to post this pic of the populated board for any other complete noobs who might be considering this project.  Though I've been mixing live/studio for over 20 years the only prep for this build I've had is cable building and some recent cap/transfo swap on a few chinese mics.  Seriously!  I'm so green, and Jim has laid this out so well it's (almost) fool-proof.  I did manage to screw something up with a grayhill, but it got sorted quick and easy!

Cases from Dan and adapter PCB from FiveFish, some sort of power supply, and I'll be set.... will post finished units then.

Much thanks to Jim for this - can't wait to hear them...

Steve

Also - that magnifier light saved my butt on this!

Thanks for the kuddos Steve. Keep us informed of your progress.

Cheers

Jim

Nobru said:
Hi Jim; no noise, no hum, no pop, no smoke but that great 84 's sound!!! Many thanks to all those who made this project happend. ;D

Yeah baby......that's what its all about!

Make some great recordings with it now. Its also that great '74 sound!  :D

Cheers

Jim

I just hooked up my 1084 with marinair LO1166 and T1452 xformers and... oscillation..

Are the pinouts of these xformers different to their modern equivalents or should I start looking elsewhere?

Dubka said:
I just hooked up my 1084 with marinair LO1166 and T1452 xformers and... oscillation..

Are the pinouts of these xformers different to their modern equivalents or should I start looking elsewhere?

Hi Dubka,

Do you have schematic of the Marinair ones? Compare to new ones to see. As far as I know they are identical pin-outs. I guess you do not have a pair of Carnhill to try?

Anyone else try the Marinairs and/or have some tips?

Cheers

Jim

I wish I did.....

this is the best I've been able to come up with..

http://www.technicalaudio.com/reading/neve_xfmrs/neve_edo7113.html

Xformer data looks fine...

Any ideas?

btw - using the same 2 xformers, psu and i/o  -  my 2nd 1084 board behaved exactly the same!!!!

Can I really be this bad at soldering?!!

fwiw - hard bypass works fine so I guess I wired the switch correctly..

normal bypass and eq engaged, however, sound horrendous....

Dubka said:
fwiw - hard bypass works fine so I guess I wired the switch correctly..

normal bypass and eq engaged, however, sound horrendous....

The Hard Bypass is straight out so its a no brainer.

If you are getting bad audio even with normal bypass "on" then there is something in the active circuit not right. It could be the XFRs but its hard to tell. Do you have an frequency generator and oscilloscope? Are you nearby to Audiomaintenance? It may be worth it to buy the XFRs (unless he wants to lend you them) to eliminate from equation. If you do not need after you can resell them at a very slight loss if at all. (Its an idea)

Dubka this is a thread started by a builder and we are going off in a tangent from that original thread. Can we go to email for now and if we cannot resolve it we can come back to Prodigy for assistance. Use the same address you used to order.

I doubt its the soldering. Probably a misplaced part or the XFRs.

Hang in there.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

Just to let you know that I have finally finished both of my EZ1084's and they sound sublimal!!! The self noise is sitting at around -120dB ... quieter than some of my other bought pro equipment (API 550B, Cranesong Ibis). Thanks for this great project and now I need to see if I have the time to build another pair of these!!

I have attached a quick photo taken with my Iphone of one of them ...  :D

Cheers. Craig.

Attachments

• 120 (800x589).jpg
    120 (800x589).jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 341
Hi Craig,

It is always great to hear my babies have grown up and are being used for good (instead of evil).

Thanks for posting this. Having the power supply outside the case helps with noise too or at least it don't hurt!

Got plenty of boards left here waiting for someone to adopt them and give them a good home.  8)

Cheers

Jim

coffeeman said:
Hi Jim,

Just to let you know that I have finally finished both of my EZ1084's and they sound sublimal!!! The self noise is sitting at around -120dB ... quieter than some of my other bought pro equipment (API 550B, Cranesong Ibis). Thanks for this great project and now I need to see if I have the time to build another pair of these!!

I have attached a quick photo taken with my Iphone of one of them ...  :D

Cheers. Craig.

So far iv'e accomplished a few DIY projects, im really interested in building one of these, I got a couple questions for Bluzzi. I know I saw there is an option to have the preamp with the eq, is the preamp circuit already on the current boards? Also does your boards come with a bill of materials and all sites to purchase these items? Thanks, I look forward to building a few of these beauties in the near future.

Soundmugician said:
So far iv'e accomplished a few DIY projects, im really interested in building one of these, I got a couple questions for Bluzzi. I know I saw there is an option to have the preamp with the eq, is the preamp circuit already on the current boards? Also does your boards come with a bill of materials and all sites to purchase these items? Thanks, I look forward to building a few of these beauties in the near future.

The option was (is?) for a board by Madriaanse to be able to be wired in. I got one and tested it and it worked perfectly. However Martin did not get enough request to make it viable to stock the boards. Adding the board also forces one to use a 2RU panel at least and no one makes one so it has to be DIY'd. I could make it available too but one in 50 builders requests it which makes it expensive to stock.

Yes the EZ1084EQ comes with a detailed BOM as well as detailed and illustrated Build Guide.

Thanks.

Cheers

Jim

Soundmugician said:

The eq's are some of the easier I have done.  Partly because the AML kit, TAW caps kit and a the BOM make tracking down parts easy.  Plus good support and its pretty straight forward.  They sound great as well.

Latest posts

Back