Bluzzi EZ1084 EQ finished units

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys,

Im about 3/4 of the way through my first unit, so far like everyone has said, this build was put together very nicely, parts were easy to get, instructions are foolproof, thanks to everyone who contributed to making this available for us!

Quick question for you guys, so i stuffed both of my boards, Id really like to pair these eq's with a decent neve style preamp. I was looking at the seventh circle n72, If i was to use these together, question 1 would be: is it overkill to run through all in and out xformers in both units, and if I wanted to integrate them together is there a way to bypass the output xformer on the pre? I understand the input xformer is line level on the eq.

-Cameron

Soundmugician said:
Thanks guys,

Im about 3/4 of the way through my first unit, so far like everyone has said, this build was put together very nicely, parts were easy to get, instructions are foolproof, thanks to everyone who contributed to making this available for us!

Thanks. It was hard work to get it to that point but the results were well worth it (100% success rate!).

You will enjoy the sound even more than the build.

Cheers

Jim

Soundmugician said:
Quick question for you guys, so i stuffed both of my boards, Id really like to pair these eq's with a decent neve style preamp. I was looking at the seventh circle n72, If i was to use these together, question 1 would be: is it overkill to run through all in and out xformers in both units, and if I wanted to integrate them together is there a way to bypass the output xformer on the pre? I understand the input xformer is line level on the eq.

-Cameron

Hi Cameron,

You should first just try it. The 1272 has less gain than a 1290 and will probably match the EZ1084EQ better. The output XFR will add some of that NEVE vibe but I would guess not enough to be a bad thing.

Otherwise one would have to "tap" from the 1272 circuit. That would involve more obviously as one would have to study the schematic.

Try just connecting them and see how the audio is affected by using the "normal" bypass (the one that just takes the EQ out but leaves teh XFRs and active circuitry in teh path).

Cheers

JIm

I have used my 1084 eq after a SCA N72. You have nothing to be afraid of. Actually sounds quite nice in my opinion.

Ok one more quick question for Bluzzi, on my input xformer I didn't purchase the adapter board from fivefish, is it possible to point to point wire it without the adapter? If so is there a schematic available to show the wiring?

Heres a pic of one of my finished units, waiting for the boxes from collective.

Attachments

• 1084_FullyStuffed.jpg
    1084_FullyStuffed.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 210
Hey Soundmugician, have not heard from you and I missed your question on wiring input XFR without the adapter pcb (sorry about that). You can absolutely do it! You probably have done it by now in any case.

Please let us know how you feel about the EQ.

Cheers

Jim

This Eq is dope, easy to build and it sounds just wonderfull. Plugged on every mix I do.

Nobru said:
This Eq is dope, easy to build and it sounds just wonderfull. Plugged on every mix I do.

Ah...another child grown up and doing good for the Earth.

Cheers

Jim

Notifying everyone I will be posting on the White Market in October. Been getting a lot of PM and the box gets full quite fast. This will make it easier to keep track of requests and orders. I'll also include a bunch of feedback comments from previous builders to give some idea of what this project is like to build as well as what it sounds like.

Cheers

Jim

No worries Bluzzi,

I just received the cases for my 2 units yesterday, ( Dan at collective just finished a new run ). I wired up one of them today, and I assumed on the input transformer ( the Carnhill from Audiomantinence ) to just match the numbers up to the printed numbers on the board. For the output transformer ( also a Carnhill from Audiomantinence ) I just matched the colors to the print on the board. I just cleaned up from the work today and plugged her in, she lit up and everything seems ok ( no excessive heat or popping capacitors ). Have not listened to the unit yet, but probably will tomorrow, I will let you know how it sounds, Im pretty excited. Thanks again for all your help and support!

ohh one last question on the distortion adjustment, Im assuming I need a distortion analyzer to adjust this, rite now it's at default, is there a way to adjust it without an analyzer?

hey Bluzzi,

Im really happy with the sound of the eq's, they are awesome and very musical! One small thing id like to add on mine is an output fader ( when I insert them into my console, and start to dial in the eq i get nasty clipping due to not having control on the output ), is there a way i could tap in an output fader in the circuit?

easy way would be to buy one of the 600 ohm attenuators from jeff at classic api or mike at hairball audio
even easier but an pad into an xlr connector . simply run the attenuator after  [ outside the box even ] the eq .

Is there a convenient spot to control the gain within the circuit ?

Soundmugician said:
hey Bluzzi,

Im really happy with the sound of the eq's, they are awesome and very musical! One small thing id like to add on mine is an output fader ( when I insert them into my console, and start to dial in the eq i get nasty clipping due to not having control on the output ), is there a way i could tap in an output fader in the circuit?

Good to hear from you. Glad you are using the Eqs.

Using a pot for output trim is a good idea actually. Many have implemented this on the 1290 style mike pres. You could use a pad for now just to get by and get working. I'll look at suggesting the better solution of using a pot to vary the output. Bug me if I don't get back to you or post here.

Cheers

Jim

ps: forgot to reply to what I presume is your question on how to Bias the 2N3055. Let me know if you have an oscilloscope as that is the way I do it.

Awesome, thanks for your help. The reason I was asking is because I just recently purchased a set of 33115 preamps, and there is a tap in the circuit for the fader ( which i used a bourns 10k audio pot when I racked the modules ). I love the way I can control the output of the 33115's because I can kinda slam the input if I want a little grit, and adjust the output accordingly without clipping my insert return on my console. If there is a way to setup a rotary fader in this circuit, I think I can squeeze it in on the front panel. Thanks again for your awesome product, again I really love the eq's, they were very easy and straight forward to build.

as far as me owning an oscilloscope, I do not at the moment, you think I could use my daw to analyze the waveform? I did find your documentation after asking the distortion adjustment question ( my bad for not looking first ).

Hey Bluzzi,

So I was looking at the orig schematic, and I traced what I believe to be the 5k1 resistor  ( r111 )  is the same one in the docs of the org 1084 you would remove if using a fader, hopefully im on the rite track. still not sure where the pot would be inserted though.

Update: ok so I figured this all out, just by looking at the schematic of the 1084 and finding the point of the fader loop. Basically I cut the trace from the #2 bypass relay into the ba 283's input, high side of the fader goes to the relay side of the cut trace. swiper goes to the input of the ba 283 ( the other side of the cut trace ) and the low side goes to the ground. I also took out r111 ( 5k1 ) resistor, which was replaced with the 5k potentiometer. Fired up the unit and attenuation works as desired. Ill post some pics soon.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/camerongobber/IMG_1088.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/camerongobber/IMG_1089.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/camerongobber/IMG_1090.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/camerongobber/IMG_1091.jpg

actually I said the wrong relay, it's what I believe to be #1 bypass realay not #2, at any route, it's the relay next to the low pass filter ( the single one on the right side of the board ).

Latest posts

Back