boat studio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
I saw Dolby perform recently in the last couple of months. He did everything in logic including live drum programming.  Way cool
I saw him perform for a private industry concert during a NAMM show last century.

He was sequencing and programming a lot back then.

JR

There was a studio on a boat in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore many years ago.  It sank, taking with it one of the first Sontec consoles and a fortune in mics and outboard.

mjrippe said:
There was a studio on a boat in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore many years ago.  It sank, taking with it one of the first Sontec consoles and a fortune in mics and outboard.

I believe the studio is still at the bottom of the harbor, although I don't think anything is salvageable

pucho812 said:
I believe the studio is still at the bottom of the harbor, although I don't think anything is salvageable

I think you are correct.  Although the original Sontec DOAs might be worth diving for as they were epoxy sealed and now rare as hen's teeth.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/343692-info-about-old-blue-seas-studio-maryland-print.html

is that the one , some backround there on G.S.

looks like she went down in mysterious circumstances one fateful night , the guy who talks about it seems to know more than he was prepared to say  :-X

Maybe a Fairchild limiter or two might make it worth while raising the wreck , theres an old seafarers saying , 'Ships and prisons are the same ,only you cant sink a prison .

More indepth info here ,
https://www.baltimoremagazine.com/2010/7/31/the-blue-seas-saga

You never know , if you got some good bits of kit and managed to put them back working after being in the brine for decades , with the provenance that they have attached , some fruit 'n' nut case might pay way over the  odds  :D

Hard to know what state anything you might recover would be in after sitting in mud that  long .
They did say in one article it sat slightly above the low watermark after it first went down ,at that stage it probably wouldnt have been to much trouble to raise it they wanted too ,probably all involved wanted it to stay sunk with its secrets by the looks .

Little Feats ,feats dont let me down was recorded there , its a nice sounding record , its hard to make that kind of musical talent sound bad though . Sounds like 'Blue Seas' was a bit of a party boat alright ,

only pictorial reference I can find is this ,  must have been handed over to salvage at some point ,cant be still sitting at a dock half submerged .

Attachments

• BSS.jpeg
    BSS.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 13
Tubetec said:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/343692-info-about-old-blue-seas-studio-maryland-print.html

is that the one , some backround there on G.S.

looks like she went down in mysterious circumstances one fateful night , the guy who talks about it seems to know more than he was prepared to say  :-X

Maybe a Fairchild limiter or two might make it worth while raising the wreck , theres an old seafarers saying , 'Ships and prisons are the same ,only you cant sink a prison .

More indepth info here ,
https://www.baltimoremagazine.com/2010/7/31/the-blue-seas-saga

The 5th from last paragraph indicates the barge was scrapped.

since its gonna be a jamming, song writing boat,
i think i am gonna get this for the boat,

recorder-mixer
https://www.sounddevices.com/product/mixpre-6/

u can hook it up to a laptop for basic sound card requirements etc if needed (ASIO or native) record to HD instead SD card or both!

kambo said:
since its gonna be a jamming, song writing boat,
i think i am gonna get this for the boat,

recorder-mixer
https://www.sounddevices.com/product/mixpre-6/

u can hook it up to a laptop for basic sound card requirements etc if needed (ASIO or native) record to HD instead SD card or both!

we have that for doing location sound. it works very well and sounds good.

cool, i ordered one,
i have sony D50 i use it alot  with
external mics, card+fig8  (omnis on top dont like them)
if it sounds as good as sony,  it will do the job nicely

wooohaaaaaa  :)
received KM 184 match-pair...
if you dont mind some EQ within -/+ 3 db
they are sounding as good as any bad as microphone out there on pretty much any source!
"obviously with in limits"

they are so tiny, would be great on boat  ;D

How are your sea legs Kambo ,
or will it be more sitting on a dock of a bay  8)
The sound devices looks the business alright , designed to operate under all conditions even war zones .
Dont short yourself on a few decent dynamic mics either ,always handy to have , inevitably there will be situations you dont need to risk Neumans due to  weather or because its just a party/jam situation.

Its a nice idea to be able to offer an artist anchorage say in a quite bay or harbour or tied up at a quayside ,a total change of suroundings  , studios in themselves can be a very intense situation on a personal level , trying to manage the whole show on board a boat will no doubt present its own unique chalenges , theres also signifigant risks to clumsy, accident prone ,or people who've over imbibed even just at the quayside , at sea is another ball game completely , If you are planning on a money making enterprise doing this ,strongly consider insurance implications in a  'SHTF' situation  .

Maybe you have years experience on boats I don't know , but if not take any chance you can to learn more specifically about how the boat your planning to use  works and sails .With a boat of 70 feet  even at a quaside location there will be tons of small jobs  that need to be attended too daily ,maintenance just to keep all the systems in check ,
Its boiler suit , a deck scrubber and bucket for you.

A compact mini pa system might be a good edition to the equipment list also  , just enough to be able to perform/record on deck with or without an audience or anywhere else  the need arises for monitoring or sound reinforcment ,.theres a kind of wheely speaker , rechargeable battery opperated 

I'd say  being able to offer standalone  location recording services without the boat would be a smart thing to do , not just  geared towards song writing/pre production , but possibly film  tv , voice over ,sports ,even internet broadcasting etc .
There would be all kinds of jobs you could pitch for in your neck of the woods .

best of luck with it ,

talking to my business insurance people about the boat... getting complicated!
see what the additional $$$ gonna be!

Back